1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Roof Rack for multi- sports

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Goatmother, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Goatmother

Goatmother Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just got my 2011 Prius three and am researching roof racks that can accomodate two bikes (Thule Big Mouth carriers) and alternately skis, kayak or small canoe, whatever. When I had my VW Jetta with roof runners I had to purchase Yakima cross bars to accomodate the clamps for the bike carriers, since the VW cross bars were the wrong shape. Does anyone have experience with clamp on roof racks. I really cant get into big money for this. Thanks.

2. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Goatmother likes this.
  3. Goatmother

Goatmother Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey Peter,
    I went over to that thread and read all 9 pages and responded to four posts with questions. Those guys are nothing compared to our 3rd Gen chat group. Nobody has replied to any of my posts! :(

4. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Posted this on previous threads. This is the same Thule roof rack adapted to three of my present (Prii) and former (Cadillac) cars. Works fine, and I swap it back and forth between my Gen-II and Gen-III whenever I need it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bill the Engineer

5. Goatmother

Goatmother Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow Bill, looks like you have the same Thule Big Mouth carriers mounted on that roof rack. As an engineer, perhaps you could advise me on this one. . . Since I am very short, and have problems lifting the bikes, do you think the Thule mounting system for the trays to the rails would also work on this trailer hitch base. INH100 INH100 / inno (RV-Inno) / ADVANCED CAR RACKS,
    The online salesman claimed there would be no problem attaching it to tubular rails, but the rails I used on my roof rack were square bars, and I am not sure the attachment system of the Thules would be secure. Looking for the cheapest way to go with a hitch mount, and Thules requires completely different trays for that. Thanks, Goatmom

6. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you are under 5'-8", and it sounds like you are, I would strongly recommend a hitch mounted bike rack. Otherwise you will need a step ladder in the car which would be quite dangerous while you have a bicycle lifted over your head. I would also give up on the idea of using the roof rack bicycle carriers and instead use one that supports the bikes further up on the top frame rail. You don't want to launch the bikes off of the rack going over speed bumps.

[​IMG]

Bill the Engineer

7. Goatmother

Goatmother Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. Yes, I'm 5' 1/2". I just didn't like the way bikes rattled and rubbed against each other when I used a "on the back of the station wagon" carrier that supported the top tubes. I think the Big Mouth carrier, which locks onto the seat tube and straps both tires down, was the most secure carrier I've ever had, and the easiest to load and unload. I lost bikes from that one but never from the Big Mouth on the roof. I really love them. That's why I wanted to adapt them to a hitch base.