1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rounded-off Caliper Bolt

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Siward, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Last year my brakes started making a bit of rubbing/sqealing noises. I managed to take off the caliper for both passenger side wheels. I found that the front OEM brake pad has a really flaky squeal bar. I managed to bend it with a pair of pliers. The pads had a lot of meat left. I wouldn't suggest buying OEM pads in the future. The original thread is below:

Rear Passenger Side Brake Squeal | PriusChat

This year, my driver side front brakes were making the same noise. However, the caliper bolt was stuck hard. After several attempts of using lubricant with a ratchet. I started rounding off the caliper bolt. I tried using a wrench too. It didn't work.

I then dished out my 1/2-inch drive breaker bar. It was too late, the bolt is was rounded from my previous attempts.

What can I do about the rounded-off 14mm caliper bolt? I may surrender and just hand it to my mechanic.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Edit due to cellphone reading miscue: as others have said below, a pipe wrench is now your best resort along with heat. You can get a mini propane torch pretty cheap for the latter.

GOOD LUCK!

#2 fotomoto, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    try a pipe wrench

4. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't need more torque. A pipe wrench won't help.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That was my first thought, then I remembered: a pipe wrench is basically an overgrown pair of pliers, with big teeth, designed for gripping on smooth/round pipe, like your rounded bolt.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

When you say "the 14mm bolt", you mean the one with the 14mm head, right? The one attaching the caliper body to the slide pins? (Under that 14mm head, I think it's an 8mm bolt.)

You don't mean the ones with, like, 17mm heads, that attach the caliper bracket to the knuckle?

The smaller bolts into the slide pins are not supposed to be any tighter than a modest 25 ft-lb or so. Probably you don't need much torque, just to shock it loose at first with something like this, maybe applied with sharp raps from a hammer on something like this.

I am wondering whether maybe the socket you began with was a bit of a sloppy fit. A bolt tightened only to 25 ft-lb usually won't give you much trouble as long as you make sure you've got a nice snug-fitting socket on it. It's the socket with a little bit of slop that can mess up your day. :)

-Chap

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe 12 point socket and bad luck?

Or someone else had them off, over torqued? I was the first one to remove ours, since factory, they were pretty easy to break loose.

8. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Use vice grips, thats your best bet.

socal13 likes this.
  9. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Oh this doesn't sound easy as the bolt you are describing may be attached 125 ft lbs of torque?
    Not sure...but uh oh.

Keep spraying liquid wrench on the bolt while you decide you plan of attack.
    Some heat may help if the bolt was installed with Red Loctite for example.

Vise grip and leverage may be the only home simple tools DIY option.
    Get the car high up in the air on a lift/ jack stands.

My option, find a large nut, weld in the inside of the nut to the rounded bolt head.
    Use brand new 1/2 drive six point socket or six point wrench.
    Remove old bolt by socketing/ wrenching this new welded nut.
    This trick may work.
    (Counter clockwise to loosen!)

My only other though would be to Dremil tool the rounded bolt head to a hexagon shape again.
    Slightly smaller head created to fit the next smallest sized socket whether standard, metric or Wentworth.
    You could try this and if it fails, still have the welding option.

Good luck.

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  12. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I didn't get to use my breaker bar. I have a shorter 35cm 1/2inch drive bar, but nut was too late because it was already rounded for it to grip. Plus there isn't much room to use the longer bar.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's a fairly safe assumption that "14mm" bolt is socket size. The alternative requires constant referral to a table, to translate. Maybe we need some sorta mechanic's Geneva Convention on this? :)

14. NutzAboutBolts

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    the 17mm bolt is torqued at 137 ft. lbs, the 14mm bolt is torqued at 34 ft. lbs., if you're talking about the 14mm bolt, then you can use a vice grip to remove it, it's not that hard. If its the 17mm bolt, then do the same thing with the vice grip but have a pipe to stick it in the vice grip for leverage like a breaker bar.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ixnay ixnay. 25. Not 125. Just 25, we're only talking about cute little M8 bolts that fasten the caliper body onto a pair of slide pins.

Just out of curiosity for the OP, what did those bolts look like, is it possible they were changed at some point? The ones I've seen new from Toyota are silvery in color, with a prominent number 10 (the strength class) embossed on the head.

I wonder if there had ever been a brake job done that swapped them for cheesier bolts, maybe they would round off more easily.

-Chap

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good lord, that tight, really? For my Gen 1 it is 25 ft lb (not 125! 25 :) ) for the smaller one, 79 ft lb for the larger one. Have they really raised the torques so much higher for Gen 3, despite using aluminum parts to Gen 1's steel and cast iron?

Any chance you were looking at the newton-meters column? 25 ft lb is 34 Nm. (79 ft lb is only 107 Nm though.)

I'd be very leery of putting torques that high on bolts those sizes....

-Chap

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The last numbers are the ft/lb value, it's 25 and 110. Easy to miss, for sure.

Here's a snapshot, and I'll attach the related pdf.

Capture.JPG

Attached Files:

18. NutzAboutBolts

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    damn I misread it again, lol Thanks Mendel.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just going through the reading material. You da man!

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the attachment. Even then, didn't you flip the last two digits? Spec looks like 101, not 110. :)

On a serious note, I suppose I've got a bit of reputation on here as that weird guy who always suggests checking the manual yourself ...and this thread's a perfect example of why. Everybody's intentions are good, but miscues or misrememberings or even just digit flips creep in, and the best protection against that kind of telephone-game effect is to go to the source....

Also just a tiny touch of mental back-of-the-envelope checking can help with noticing mistakes. Even without bothering to do exact math in your head, you can kind of think "hmm, if 25 ftlb is 34 Nm, doesn't it feel like 110 ftlb should be something more than 137 Nm?" That was what made me do a double take and look more closely at the picture.

-Chap

Mendel Leisk likes this.