1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rustproofing does work ... but NOT where most think.......

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mike500, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Over the years, I've been a strong advocate of rustproofing, but most of the members here have stated that it is not necessary.

Just read this current post of a member in Massachusetts with a 2004 Prius.

BT Plate and Toyota Warranty | PriusChat

While cars have been made better to avoid penetration of the panels, the most important reason to rustproof certain places is where the parts come together.

If the owner does not pre-treat the gaps between parts, salt bearing moisture will, instead.

I keep my cars for a long time and always applied rustproofing. I always work on my own cars. I've NEVER had a rust-frozen part that broke off, while attempting to disassembling them.

Anyway, a cheap "spray can" of penetrating oil with a straw like LPS3 or light rustproofing and an hour or two under and around the car works wonders for future serviceability.

Even if you don't work on your own car, the mechanics won't break parts and bolts that will still cost you to replace.

I sometimes wonder how many brake calipers are replaced due to a rusted shut bleeder screw that broke off. It's more profit for the service providers.

2. Stevie

Stevie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    good post, but can you supply some examples of where to rust proof for the more novice amongst us ? like you I wouldn't want someone to read you post and then spray product onto a brake disc/rotor because it has rust on the edge

3. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I can see- most modern cars are fairly rust resistant as compared to the atrocities produced in the 70's and 80's that rusted through in just a few years. Half of the outer skin is plastic now- and that doesn't rust.
    I've had rust problems on exhaust related parts- but they're subjected to 500 deg heat while the ICE is running and are generally cheap steel to begin with. One thing we have problems here with is steel brake lines rusting out and bursting- Ford's especially. I limped in to my brother in-law's shop with our Expedition after a brake line blowout last summer- he told me it was the third one he did that week- including his own personal Explorer he uses to tow his boat!

Stevie likes this.
  4. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

If you want to rust proof some stuff , use Strike-Hold Home Page