1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rusty front brake rotors

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by John Kuhn, Mar 31, 2021.

1. John Kuhn

John Kuhn Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2017 Prius Two Eco has been through 4 Wisconsin winters, with all the nasty road salt. Car has 53,000 miles on it. Sadly my front rotors have a lot of rust on them, such that the pad visibly only contacts part of the rotor, and when braking hard you can feel vibration. I'm certain it is because in all of my normal driving I only use the brakes very lightly, and whatever rust forms doesn't get scraped off and thus accumulates and grows. I'm disappointed the brake design doesn't accommodate this obvious duty cycle. The rears are not as bad, as I believe they engage slightly before the fronts in light braking. I've seen some threads on rust, and many of them are replied to by warm climate people who suggest it's hardly possible to happen, but it really does.

In contrast, my son's Chevy Bolt rotors with two Wisconsin winters on them look like new, as do my wife's Bolt rotors with one winter. It would appear GM has this condition accounted for.

So my question is, should I get new factory Prius rotors, or are there better aftermarket ones out there that would last longer?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If those rotors can't be cleaned up, that'll mean replacing them, whether from Toyota or somewhere else.

But the key really seems to be to learn and do the Prius Brake Thing. That's where, whenever you notice the brakes sounding a little raspy as you drive off, shift into neutral for the next two or three stops you make, until they sound quiet again. Being in neutral forces the friction brakes to be used, they scrape off the light surface rust before it has a chance to become the gnarly stuff you're looking at now, and it gets to be so second-nature I hardly even notice myself doing it anymore when I do it. It's almost always after the car's been parked through a long rainy night. I'll get in in the morning, drive off, think "hmm, sounds a little noisy" making my first stop, use neutral for the next two or three, all fixed.

kenoarto and amos like this.
  3. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Nobody will ever be able to get long life out of the brakes and rotors in snow states that use salt.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Would it be worth getting them resurfaced, with an on-the-car lathe system, or does that exceed replacement cost these days?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Last I checked, resurfacing was still cheaper than Toyota's, but rarely cheaper than cheap aftermarkets.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. John Kuhn

John Kuhn Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll have to do some investigating about turned vs. new. I like the idea of slipping into neutral for braking on occasion, so scour the rotors a bit before the rust really takes hold. (I'll have to grit my teeth wasting that momentum, but such is life. :cry:)
    If anybody else knows of replacement rotor quality better than Toyota, I'm still interested.

7. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

Last time I changed the rotors on the Prius v wagon, I used zinc plated rotors. I forget the brand name.

Hi all, new Prius v owner | Page 3 | PriusChat

That was back in 2018. I was quite skeptical at the time...but they still look great! I liked them so much I put them on our 2010 liftback...and they look great as well. Going to do the rotors on our 2012 Sonata this year. (y)