1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sacramento/Bay Area: Best price for Gen2 battery replacement with OEM part

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by KEF, Jul 15, 2022.

1. KEF

KEF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2005 Prius, had a Dorman refurb main battery installed a couple years ago, am getting P0A80 and P3011 codes in the high Sacramento heat. 12V voltages seem fine. Topped off inverter and engine coolant with SLLC. I have a bluetooth scanner on order and will check out the subcodes but I'm pretty sure the main battery is dying, unless someone thinks blockage of the main battery fan could duplicate these symptoms and codes.

If I keep this car, I think I would like to replace the main battery with a Toyota OEM part this go-around. Circa July 2022, anyone know of a reasonably-priced Toyota dealer to do this in the Sacramento/Davis/Bay Area region? Any idea on cost? If they'll sell the part over the counter, I could probably figure out the installation. I wouldn't mind paying the dealer a reasonable amount to do the entire job .

2. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    These days it probably requires cold calling dealers and seeing what they say on price and availability.

SFO likes this.
  3. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    OEM battery packs from Toyota are no longer available for Gen2, there may be 1 or 2 in a dealer stock somewhere but the lithium replacements have been tested by a few Priuschat members.

Order the Gen2 lithium replacement pack before they are sold out.

PriusChat member @PriusCamper is available for tech support

https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw

Priuschat member review.

Project Lithium customer review | PriusChat

#3 alftoy, Jul 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    PriusCamper likes this.
  4. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  5. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. KEF

KEF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you. I had hoped to get the Gen2 pack because of its potential longevity. Are there reasons to believe this particular pack will last longer than most?

Is this pack basically a matter of dropping it in, or are there parts of the old pack that need to be grafted into this?

One thing that none of the YouTube videos I've watched on the Prius have really touched on is safety. I don't have tons of experience working with high DC voltages. Is there a secret to not getting killed working with the battery pack? Do I not really need to worry about this?

7. KEF

KEF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Answering one of my own questions: this solution involves a fair amount of work replacing cells, just like the product sold at NewPriusBatteries. I'd be interested in people's assessment of the lithium upgrade vs. the product sold by newpriusbatteries.com

8. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The Toyota replacement pack requires you grafting some parts from old pack onto the new battery pack. If you had a new OEM pack to swap, you still have to deal with high voltage, the cautions are noted for both OEM and Lithium. ProjectLithium may have a rep in the Bay area.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    one word on safety: high voltage gloves

yes, you should constantly be on alert when working in the battery. one slip and...pfffft!

that being said, it is done everyday by diy'ers. just be careful and follow good safety practices

10. KEF

KEF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If I'm understanding things correctly (and I may not be), the dangerous charges dissipate ten minutes after taking off that orange tab, a fact that you should validate to 100% certainty. Am I correct that after that 10 minute period, you are free to monkey all you want inside and outside of the battery. Is that correct or not correct?

There's a pretty good safety video on YoutTube that describes safety steps:
    1) wear high voltage gloves
    2) wear rubber soles
    3) validate correct function of multimeter on 12V battery
    4) remove orange tab thing on big battery
    5) wait 10 minutes
    6) verify 0.0 reading on the multimeter
    7) validate multimeter function once again on 12V battery

I'm pretty good at being careful and disciplined when my life depends on it. Are there other things to be mindful of? I'm a little unclear how all dangerous charge could simply vanish with a 10 minute wait: surely the batteries still have a lot of power left in them.

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that sounds wrong.

i know there are some areas where it becomes safe, having read from experts in the past.

i believe the inside is still dangerous after the cover is removed.

i'm no expert, but if i were going to have at it, i'd try to find threads here from the experts, or posts at a minimum, to have a complete understanding.

maybe post a new thread asking?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  13. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No sure if that applies to the US domestic market, as last I checked they are delivering within a few days on the west coast. If you use the part# on the toyota.com site, it may return discontinued, but if you call surrounding dealers they will look up availability and OTC pricing.

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly this.

With the safety interlock removed, there is still 110 VDC that can be lethal until the bus bars are removed from at least one side of the battery. The safety interlock in effect only internally splits the battery into two smaller (but still high DC voltage) batteries. It does, however, remove power to the (battery side of the) relays, so at least that area is safe.

Right up to and until the bus bars are removed, you should be wearing your HV linesman gloves and using insulated tools.

#14 dolj, Jul 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
    bisco likes this.
  15. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tried working with Jack as a NorCal mobile installer, and though he sounded positive, the idea never moved forward for some reason.

16. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Probably because he seems to have more customers than inventory, presently.
    It's been that way for a while so seems unlikely to improve.

#16 Another, Jul 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  17. highmilesgarage

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    if you don't understand how electricity works then probably you should stay away from DIY or dealing with it but if you do there's really nothing to be afraid of. The electrical design is very safe and most of the safety warnings you see are for legal purposes (sue happy US people) 5 years ago when my camry hybrid was replaced by a tech, I never saw him wear gloves for safety during the swap. He opened the pack and swapped the relay modules too in my case. As soon as the orange plug is removed and those 2 orange terminals are checked for voltage then it's safe to work with. There's still 110 volts DC on the ends of the bus bars but that requires you to get in contact with both ends (correct terminal) to get that full voltage. People who are trying to scare you that they are dangerous don't know anything or haven't work with it. I'm not saying not to practice safety but this myth about being them dangerous is just total BS.

18. Pulse07

Pulse07 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e