1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scratch behind glass instrument cluster

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by liquidtenmillion, Feb 18, 2017.

1. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I am the new owner of a 2017 Prius 3 touring(see here Dealership transaxle fluid change nightmare | PriusChat for more information, still not resolved) and there is a scratch on the back side of the instrument cluster.

The dealership has yet to do the detailing process and will do them Monday and I mentioned this scratch to them and they said they would look into repairing it.

Now because of my previous experience I have no faith in this dealership and I am wondering what the process would be to replace their instrument panel class? does anybody know or does anybody else have any scratches on the inside of the instrument panel glass?

If it involves taking apart the dash or anything too intense I will not have them do it.

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you post a photo?

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    If you’re not confident in your dealer’s service department, I would suggest finding another dealer, even if it involves some personal inconvenience. The warranty is valid at all dealers, of course, not just the one that sold the car.

On the fourth-generation Prius, Toyota refers to the instrument cluster as the “combination meter.” The clear panel in front is the “combination meter glass,” part number 83852-47L00, and it’s relatively inexpensive, list price $39.28.

I haven’t noticed any scratches on mine, but my car does have a rattle in the dashboard that stops with gentle pressure on the top of the combination meter, which I’ll ask the dealer to fix soon.

The Repair Manual (RM3200U) includes replacement procedures. There are too many detailed steps and figures to reproduce here, but to give you an idea of the scope of work involved, here is an outline:

METER / GAUGE / DISPLAY: COMBINATION METER: REMOVAL
    1. PRECAUTION
    2. DISCONNECT CABLE FROM NEGATIVE AUXILIARY BATTERY TERMINAL
    3. DISCONNECT FRONT DOOR OPENING TRIM WEATHERSTRIP LH
    4. REMOVE FRONT PILLAR GARNISH LH
    5. REMOVE NO. 1 INSTRUMENT PANEL SPEAKER PANEL SUB-ASSEMBLY
    6. DISCONNECT FRONT DOOR OPENING TRIM WEATHERSTRIP RH
    7. REMOVE FRONT PILLAR GARNISH RH
    8. REMOVE NO. 2 INSTRUMENT PANEL SPEAKER PANEL SUB-ASSEMBLY
    9. REMOVE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER FINISH PANEL ASSEMBLY
    10. REMOVE COMBINATION METER ASSEMBLY

METER / GAUGE / DISPLAY: COMBINATION METER: DISASSEMBLY
    1. REMOVE COMBINATION METER GLASS
    [Other disassembly steps not required.]

METER / GAUGE / DISPLAY: COMBINATION METER: REASSEMBLY
    [Other reassembly steps not required.]
    6. INSTALL COMBINATION METER GLASS

METER / GAUGE / DISPLAY: COMBINATION METER: INSTALLATION
    1. INSTALL COMBINATION METER ASSEMBLY
    2. INSTALL INSTRUMENT CLUSTER FINISH PANEL ASSEMBLY
    3. INSTALL NO. 2 INSTRUMENT PANEL SPEAKER PANEL SUB-ASSEMBLY
    4. INSTALL FRONT PILLAR GARNISH RH
    5. INSTALL FRONT DOOR OPENING TRIM WEATHERSTRIP RH
    6. INSTALL NO. 1 INSTRUMENT PANEL SPEAKER PANEL SUB-ASSEMBLY
    7. INSTALL FRONT PILLAR GARNISH LH
    8. INSTALL FRONT DOOR OPENING TRIM WEATHERSTRIP LH
    9. CONNECT CABLE TO NEGATIVE AUXILIARY BATTERY TERMINAL
    You’d probably consider this “taking part the dash,” since it’s necessary, for example, to unfasten, but not remove, the upper instrument panel assembly (13 clips and 4 guides), and to remove the instrument cluster finish panel assembly (17 clips and 10 guides).

(The Repair Manual is available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com.)

RCO likes this.
  4. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow!! Thank you so much for the detailed information, you are truly amazing.

It hit me while I was sleeping that I don't have to get this done as part of the free detailing process of the dealership, but that I could probably get this repaired at any dealership as part of the warranty.

Is that the case? Or do you think that a scratch on the glass would be considered only a cosmetic issue? It is right on the speedometer and very often the sun will hit it and glint back at me.

5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW, I think the dealership that caused the scratch might be held responsible for the repair, even at another dealership.

6. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Truth be told I think it came this way from the factory and I am the first owner and noticed it before I even took it off the lot I think when it was installed in Japan It had a scratch on it on the backside of the glass.

RCO likes this.