1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Screen Touch not working but buttons do

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bban1, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Bban1

Bban1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    Recently I bought a 2006 Prius (Non navigation but has backup cam) that had been sitting for about 4 years, the 12v battery needed recharging but it runs and drives really well. The only problem I have at the moment is that the MFD isnt working properly, the 4 buttons around the screen and the ones on the steering wheel work just fine but the screen does nothing when I actually press it (I cant use any of the controls). Now Im aware that this problem is super common but I recently was able to get it to change the contrast up by one in the display settings (Only once) so I know that theres the slight possibility the display works.

To make things harder to determine I noticed that the beep function is actually turned off, but when pressing the side buttons to the screen it still beeps. I have also tried getting into diagnostic mode to see if theres a possibility to recalibrate the screen but after holding down the display button and flipping the light switch on and off with the car on nothing happens. In the many videos that demonstrate how to get into the menu their screen also seems to change its brightness setting when the lights are quickly flipped on and off... mine doesn't do that either.
    When testing the 12v battery it seems to provide enough power (12.8v when acc mode off and 12.3 with acc mode on) but I did put a battery charger on it without disconnecting the negative terminal, so I dont know if that broke anything.

Im wondering if I need to actually replace the unit, or where to get it fixed, or if Im simply doing something wrong.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it is actually broken but the car has super low kms. It was purchased in the US and driven over to Canada, then baked in the sun for 4 years before I got to it.

2. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Check the 2nd Gen forum, you will get better luck than in the Plug-In form.This was a well known problem in this model. Toyota used to replace the units.