1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seeking advice on replacing rear garnish (trunk handle)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by acadiaphile, Jul 6, 2017.

1. acadiaphile

acadiaphile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A little over a year after I managed to "fix" the broken attachment on our 2005 Prius' rear garnish (trunk handle), it broke again. At this point, I figure I should get a replacement part. I'd initially planned on trying to find a salvaged part but: (a) it seems to be getting even harder to find such an item and (b) I worry that even if I found the part (and my DH insists it must match the red color), that it'd have the same inherent defect as the original part. So, I'm considering purchasing this OEM part from Auto Parts Cheaper. That the part is supposedly better designed than the original one (so it won't break), includes the Toyota logo, and that they use the VIN to assure the right paint color is appealing, but I'm not sure about the $300 price.
    Thanks in advance for sharing your advice about this replacement part and any suggestions for alternative part sources.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    iirc, there should be a detailed thread here by patrick wong on his '07.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well you have to first learn not to pull on the "garnish". It's not a handle to pull up on. You simply press the button to open the hatch and then lift on the "metal" part of the hatch to open. If you treat this garnish as a handle, it'll keep breaking over and over again.

$300 sounds really expensive, like the price of a new OEM part from Toyota. You may want to buy a used one that's the "wrong" color and have someone paint it. It might be less expensive.

4. acadiaphile

acadiaphile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Tell my DH not to pull on the "garnish"o_O. I warned him before the original piece broke. I warned him after my initial repairs not to pull on the garnish. When he told me it broke again I asked if he'd pulled on the part. You may imagine my response when he replied, "That's how you're supposed to open the hatch!"
    Honestly, I think part of the problem is that the original hatch lift supports are shot. As a result, after you release the hatch, you have to push it to get it opened.
    I proposed getting an "off" color part, but he wants the original color.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe get some new struts.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's pretty funny

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can tell him no, it is NOT how you open this hatch. The correct way is to press up on the rubber piece and lift it by continuing to apply upward pressure. At no point should he grab the garnish and lift on that.

The switch operates by a timed relay and only activates the lock mechanism for about 700 ms, so you need to perform the "release and lift" in one fluid movement.

I second bisco's advice above, maybe get the gas lift struts re-gassed or replaced too. It certainly won't help as that hatch is heavy enough with the help of working struts.

8. JohnnyPrius

JohnnyPrius Junior Member

I fixed mine with two carriage bolts.
    1503271726100.jpg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

SFO and anothergirl like this.
  9. anothergirl

anothergirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

10. Lloyd-ss

Lloyd-ss Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If you are SURE you want to go this route (two carriage bolts) you will need to remove the interior panel of the lift gate first so that you can see what is inside, and won't drill thru anything important like wires or switches or connectors. This isn't my repair, but it looks like person just drilled thru everything and put some nuts on the inside of the metal framework, after removing the interior panel, I hope. A little silicone caulking at the penetrations to keep water out might not be a bad idea.

This is one of those repairs that can't be undone, so think about it first. Watch several of the you tube videos about removing the interior panel because that is all about knowing the "tricks". Removing the panel the first time will be difficult, but the second time will be much easier. Good luck.

11. anothergirl

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks. I've removed the panel before to replace the opening mechanism when it got all mushy. I'm thinking now I probably won't do this. I would have to also glue the garnish back together. I'm trying not to buy the garnish with the electrical mechanism built in since I just purchased and replaced the electronic portion 2 years ago. I was hoping to find just the plastic (presumably cheaper) garnish in my color 4S2 but so far have only found the garnish with the elecrtonics attached.

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is definitely available separately from a Toyota dealer color coded. Try one of the dealers that sell much cheaper online, out of state, if you don't mind a couple of days waiting.

They are also available from third parties, but not sure of the quality. Haven't heard of any complaints.

anothergirl and Lloyd-ss like this.
  13. anothergirl

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great. Thanks. Any online dealer recommendations? I can do a Google search but not sure who the most popular ones are.

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    anothergirl likes this.
  15. anothergirl

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm finding some used ones on eBay. I don't need the electronics but it seems like it all comes as one unit. Does anyone know if just the plastic garnish is sold without the electronics? And does anyone know if it matters if my car has a camera? As far as I can tell there is not one model for a car with a camera and another model for no camera. I asked one of the eBay sellers but he/she did not know.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think the camera affects it, have you tried calling a dealer parts dept. for just the garnish?

anothergirl likes this.
  17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The part numbers are:
    • 76801-47050-xx (without Smart Key)
    • 76801-47060-xx (with Smart Key)
    The "xx" indicates the color. What color is your Prius?

Hope that helps.

18. anothergirl

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

4S2, driftwood pearl

19. rbdigital

rbdigital Hybrid Family Father

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    See a related post here: Hatchback liftgate struts broken | Page 2 | PriusChat

20. anothergirl

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One of the eBay sellers was able to tell me last night that the part has a plug that snaps out to fit around the camera. I ended up purchasing that one for $134.

bisco likes this.