1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Self loading wheelchair into my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by faaaaaaq, Dec 8, 2012.

1. faaaaaaq

faaaaaaq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am trying to figure out a way to self load my wheelchair into my Prius. I am an incomplete para and need my chair with me when I go anywhere. Does anyone have experience loading their wheelchair into their Prius? I'm trying to figure out what chair would be the best to try and load by myself from the drivers seat. Thanks for the help.

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is a tough one. However doing a google search I did find this. The Prius really is not designed to be handicapped friendly. I know as I load a standard foldable wheel chair in the backend of our from time to time. Unlike yourself, I am not paraplegic, but do help some who have difficulty in walking and standing.

Here is a link to a chair you might be interested in.

Drive Medical Cougar - Drive Medical Folding Wheelchairs

You may find that you will resort to having a chair custom made for you, however the "Cougar" may fit your needs.

Ron

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]
    I googled in Dutch to see if that resulted in anything. Found the above pic. Very little info, no mention of a wheelchair, just the hand-controlability of throttle and brakes. The change was made by this company. They seem to have similar roofconstructions to the one above my post on their site, even one for sale secondhand :)
    Obviously of not much use to you since they are in Holland, but I thought I'd still post the pic since the owner couldn't find any info on international forums (please note this was done in 2009 or so)

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A friend of mine has had his car - not a Prius - modified so that he use hand controls. The left rear seat has been removed so that he can fit his folding chair in behind him. It's quite the acrobatic trick; I think the process is to move to the driver's seat from the chair, fold the chair, lift it into the car, and then grab the rope attached to the sliding rear door to close it. Given his injuries, I'm impressed with how well he functions and gets around. I'm not quite sure how he gets his hand-powered tricycle in and out. I'll have to take notes next time I see him.