1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Service Department recommendations

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Canvasback, Apr 1, 2022.

1. Canvasback

Canvasback New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hi all,
    Does anyone have experience with Service Departments in Metro Detroit? Or have a resource that rates Service Departments (I have failed searching... all I find are ratings of sales and service lumped into one, and mostly sales at that)?
    We bought our Prime in NY state 'cause that's where they were available, but we're obviously not driving 4hrs to get the vehicle serviced.
    We are less than 1 1/2 months into ownership with more than 4k on the odo, and the vehicle has been driven a fair amount on dirt roads and in slushy conditions. Since Toyota recommends the following services under those conditions, I want to make sure they are done.
    Driving on dirt/dusty/muddy roads or on roads with melted snow
    Inspect Ball Joints And Dust Covers Inspect Engine Air FilterI
    Inspect Drive Shaft Boots Replace Engine Oil And Oil Filter
    Inspect Steering Linkage And Boots Torque Nuts And Bolts On Chassis And Body

I'm hoping I won't get any push back on the "early" oil change, and would like to find a local service dept that is interested in customer satisfaction.

Thanks.

2. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I wouldn't mention anything about dirt roads (off-roading); but you can ask them to change the oil based on severe conditions - just based on your time frame and accumulated mileage. If they refuse; ask for the lead service writer/dept manager. You can take it to another dealership as a last resort. Since there isn't a large number of these cars in your area, I'd suspect any additional work they would recommend that's outside the basic Toyota maintenance specification.

Good Luck....

Canvasback likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you'd be better off treying to find a reliable local mechanic. you won't need a hybrid tech for a long time, and you can always go to a dealer if you do.
    dealer service department/customer satisfaction = oxymoron

a diligent inspection is better done on a lift, with the mech showing you what she sees.

Canvasback likes this.
  4. Canvasback

Canvasback New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    @BiomedO1, to be clear, we haven't done any off-roading, but the car has been driven a fair amount on rural unpaved roads. I agree wording it as "severe conditions" makes more sense, and I may end up just call ahead using that terminology to see what type of response I get.
    @bisco , I do hope to also find a reputable mechanic sooner rather than later, but I'd just as soon locate the "best" service depart available while we still have the toyota care and are under warranty, if for no other reason than to build some semblance of a relationship should we ever need warranty work (and if the owners manual suggest extra oil changes based on conditions, I want Toyota Care to take care of it).

I'm wondering about casting larger net for recommendations by posting the question in another forum.... Would it be gosche to post in the Gen 4 or 3 forum? Maybe just put it up in the Newbie section?

bisco likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In the States you're entitled to two free oil/filter changes? Would it matter when they happen? Maybe some dealerships are sticklers for staying with the odometer reading and regular intervals, but as long it's the same amount of labour/parts, it shouldn't matter. Unless you're getting your maintenance done at "OCD Toyota"...

Canvasback likes this.
  6. Canvasback

Canvasback New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    @Mendel Leisk I didn't realize that Toyota Care specifies a certain # of oil/filter changes, but am not surprised. Naively I was operating under the idea that they would cover all recommended maintenance for the first 25k mi, which for our car is probably more than 2 changes....

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would think they're reimbursed by Toyota USA, for the regular maintenance spec'd in the Warranty and Maintenance Guide, for the first 25K miles. In a nutshell that's:

5K: Tire rotation*
    10K: Tire rotation plus oil/filter change
    15K: Tire rotation
    20K: Tire rotation plus oil/filter change
    25K: Tire rotation

* With "visual" brake inspection

There's a lot of extra BS listed, but that's basically it.

Note that at 30K (beyond the free period), the brake inspection language changes. It doesn't mention "visual" brake inspection with the tire rotation, and there's mention of brake rotor "thickness and runout" inspection. Pretty cryptic, but I would interpret that to be a regular, in-depth brake inspection, where the calipers come off, pads/shims are cleaned and fresh anti-seize applied, caliper contact points cleaned and fresh anti-seize applied, and caliper pins cleaned and relubed. (I’d mention the lube I use for the latter, but that’s tantamount to felony to someone here.)

Something like that typically sets you back around $300~400 at the dealership. If you DIY it's basically free, purely an inspection, nothing signif needs replacement. The only expense is a bit of lube, maybe brake cleaner spray, and a shop towel or two.

Attached is a spreadsheet summary of the US 4th gen schedule, I cobbled from the aforementioned guide:

Attached Files:

#7 Mendel Leisk, Apr 2, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    Canvasback likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota Care only covers Normal condition recommended services, for the first 25K miles. That includes two oil changes at 10K and 20K. It will not cover the Sevier use conditions. But I have read that some dealers may let you use the oil change early at 5K. Regardless, Toyota will be reimbursing the dealer only for the two oil changes during 25Kmiles/24mo period.

ToyotaCare | Car Maintenance & 24-Hour Roadside Assistance

upload_2022-4-2_12-15-1.png

Canvasback likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, apart from aforementioned OCD Toyota, what does it matter.

Salamander_King likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    technically, your not supposed to cross post, but this seems like a different situation.

report your post, and ask a mod if it would be okay to post in all the forums

Canvasback likes this.
  11. Canvasback

Canvasback New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks @bisco, followed your suggestion.

bisco likes this.