1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Servomotor from hell

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jeff Horwitz, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Jeff Horwitz

Jeff Horwitz New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey everybody — I’ve got three servomotor-related problems in under a year on a Prius prime and am not dumb enough to believe they are all unrelated (note: I totallu AM dumb enough to believe the first two were unrelated, but the service center is pushing its luck by going for the hat trick).

All three times the symptom’s been the same: the car abruptly starts blowing hot air only, all the time. The problem first appeared when the car was still under warranty, thus the service center.

On the first go, they inspected the servomotor circuit and then decided the problem was the auxiliary battery, which they replaced. AC then worked for six months.

On the second go, they pulled out the external condenser refrigerant temperature sensor circuit. It looked fine, so they reinstalled it — and again, it worked. It cost a couple hundred bucks.

the third time is currently happening. the diagnostic computer is apparently spitting out a different code than the other times, but it’s again servomotor related. I’ve included the two past write ups.

I’d love to conclusively get this conclusively fixed, but I would even more love to figure out if there’s a common cause. (If there is, I should be able to get the work done unded warranty due to the fact that they missed it in the first case.) otherwise this is going to cost several grand.

Any thoughts about what the culprit is here?

Attached Files:

2. Jeff Horwitz

Jeff Horwitz New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So I've had three A/C servo-motor related issues in under a year on a 2017 Prime and I would be very glad for some thoughts. In all instances, the symptom's the same: the A/C abruptly puts on hot air, full-blast. (The actual A/C unit is fine).

The first time I took the car in (still under warranty) they investigated servomotor stuff before replacing the auxiliary battery -- at which point the A/C started working again. So they called it a defective battery and replaced that (though there were no other indications of a bad battery).

The second time, they removed the external condenser refrigerant temperature sensor and tested it. It passed, and they put it back in, everything started working again. It cost me a couple hundred bucks.

The third time is going on now -- Exact same problem of abruptly turning on hot air at full blast. I've been told this is a totally different issue and also that it's going to cost quite a bit -- $1,700 just to get the dash unit out of the way.

Per the official service center, these incidents are all unrelated - and thus not covered under warranty after the first visit. I'm having a hard time believing I've had a hat trick of unrelated problems that all resulted in the exact same problem, but I am out my depth here.

Any thoughts from people who're smarter about this stuff than me? Does the initial determination of a bad aux battery make sense, given that the only thing that was failing was the servomotor? And is there some potential root cause of this stuff? It's been throwing off codes like B1441 and B1380, and I've included the notes from the service center.

Attached Files:

3. Jeff Horwitz

Jeff Horwitz New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    (Also sorry for the duplicate post -- the first one didn't show up for a few hours and I couldn't find it under the "my content.")

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you have capability to read trouble codes yourself (not necessarily a laptop and Techstream, there are other options like phone apps and Bluetooth dongles)? A mystery problem like this one gets old really fast if you are dependent on somebody else to read trouble codes every time you need to.

In older Prius generations, there is a way to get HVAC trouble codes without a special scan tool; in gen 2 and gen 3, you do it by holding down AUTO with FRESH/RECIRC at the same time as powering the car on, and two-digit codes appear (on the MFD for gen 2, or the HVAC LCD panel for gen 3). I do not know if Prime still has that ability or if you trigger it the same way, but it could be worth a try.

Jeff Horwitz likes this.
  5. Jeff Horwitz

Jeff Horwitz New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'll try. Thank you!

6. Jeff Horwitz

Jeff Horwitz New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Okay. Got the codes from the service center - b1441 and B1448. (Though I'm kind of second guessing whether they read them to me right, as a B14B8 would also make more sense, unless there's some connection to the Wiper sensor going on here that I don't understand.

The best I'm coming up with googling is the below:

|What is B1441 TOYOTA code meaning?

The Air Mix Damper Servo sends pulse signals to indicate the damper position to the air conditioning amplifier. The Air Conditioning Amplifier activates the motor (normal or reverse) based on these signals to move the air mix damper (passenger seat) to the appropriate position. This adjusts the amount of air passing through the heater core after passing the evaporator and controls the temperature of the blown air.

B-14B8
    This DTC is stored if the amount of refrigerant in the air conditioning system is insufficient. The air conditioning amplifier assembly receives the ambient temperature signal, refrigerant pressure signal, etc. from various sensors. Based on these signals, the air conditioning amplifier assembly detects the amount of refrigerant. The A/C switch indicator is turned off and the air conditioning system is stopped if the amount of refrigerant is insufficient.

Any sense of how this might fit into the pattery of abruptly blowing hot air?

#6 Jeff Horwitz, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    doesn't that fall under the lemon law?

8. Jeff Horwitz

Jeff Horwitz New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I wish. It's a 2017 vehicle, and the first time the constant hot air problem began was just before the warranty expired last year. Then the problem came back twice over the next ten months.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You need to be very careful googling for trouble codes when they are in the manufacturer-defined ranges (as all B1 codes are, as you see here).

[​IMG]

Manufacturer codes are allowed to mean completely unrelated things between cars of different manufacturers, sometimes models of the same manufacturer. If you google for some B1 code you need to be super careful to throw out every result that is not for a Prius Prime, preferably of your model year, or you will just waste your time reading a bunch of code descriptions that are interesting and puzzling and wrong.

The very best place to look is in your repair manual (more info), where you will know that everything it tells you about each code is correct for your car.

Regrettably, I have never downloaded a Prime repair manual and my TIS subscription isn't paid up at the moment, so I can't check what you found.

Jeff Horwitz likes this.
  10. Jeff Horwitz

Jeff Horwitz New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Okay, now I've gone down a bit of a rabbit hole and found TSB MC-10176693-9999 that sounds a lot like what I've been dealing with and even has the same codes listed, including B1448. For those vehicles, it was a software issue. But.... the bulletin was specific to Land Cruisers. Sigh.

11. Jeff Horwitz

Jeff Horwitz New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    ... and illustrating the point that you just made, that TSB I just looked up listed the code 1448, which is not the "generic" one pertaining to wiper sensors that I'd cited. It's the passenger side face servomotor circuit. At least in land cruisers!

So my two codes are B1448 (Passenger Side Face Servo Motor Circuit) and B1441 (the Air Mix Damper Control Servo Motor Circuit.)

I'm kind of bummed the problem isn't that my Prius is actually a Land Cruiser. Then I'd be all set.

On a more general front: I'm grateful that somebody like you's even taking the time to think this through. I've seen your other posts in my research and it seems possibly that you're the world's foremost public expert on Prius servomotor problems.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's because the real experts are all private.

13. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Regarding the auxiliary (12-volt) battery, it appears that the dealer met Toyota’s fairly strict warranty claim requirements: the Toyota-approved Midtronics battery testers generate a warranty code, such as the one in the technician’s notes, only after a failed test. Even if it was defective, however, the auxiliary battery might not have been the cause of the air conditioning problem. When the car is in READY, as it generally would be when using the air conditioner, the main source of 12-volt power is the DC/DC converter, not the auxiliary battery.

One of the two diagnostic trouble codes appears to have been recorded improperly in the notes for this visit. DTC B1441 is indeed “Air Mix Damper Control Servo Motor Circuit (Passenger Side),” according to the Repair Manual for Prius Prime cars, but the second DTC should probably be B1448, “Passenger Side FACE Servo Motor Circuit,” to match the text in the notes; both B1441 and B1448 relate the No. 2 air conditioning radiator damper servo sub-assembly and its wiring. (B14B8 is “Refrigerant Shortage.”)
    The notes from this visit mention damage to the bumper cover; was the car in a collision of any kind?
    It’s true that replacing the No. 2 air conditioning radiator damper servo sub-assembly is a big job: the Repair Manual shows that it’s done only with the air conditioning unit removed from the car, which requires disassembling the entire instrument panel. One edition of Toyota’s Flat Rate Manual allows 5.1 labor hours for replacing a damper servo sub-assembly (operation number 870551, ZVW52 series).

The notes from the first visit don’t say where the recommendation (“-REC-”) to check the battery and reinitialize came from—whether it was Toyota’s Technical Assistance System (TAS), the dealer-only support line, some other Toyota representative, or another technician at the dealer—but I think the idea was to try other, less-costly fixes before doing the very expensive disassembly and reassembly.

At this point, with the same symptom and the same DTCs as when the car was first presented for repair during the warranty period, I think you have a reasonable argument that the problem was misdiagnosed and should still be covered, especially since the first technician reported having done an active test of the damper, which failed. If you haven’t already, see the escalation procedure on pages 5–6 of the Warranty & Maintenance Guide (PDF), including the California Dispute Settlement Program.

I’d also suggest to make sure that the Repair Manual troubleshooting procedures have been followed: the procedures for DTCs B1441 and B1448 both say to “Check for a wire harness caught between the links of the motors and dampers,” before replacing any parts.

don_chuwish and Jeff Horwitz like this.
  14. Jeff Horwitz

Jeff Horwitz New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am in awe of how thorough this analysis is. What a great thing to wake up to.

don_chuwish and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah no kidding. My only concern: if @Elektroingenieur ever opts to go over to the "dark side", we're ALL screwed.

Idle thought: why do service writers always type everything in upper case. It's like they're all channeling John Cleese or summit.

Jeff Horwitz likes this.
  16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I strongly suspect Elektroingenieur has access to an ongoing TIS subscription or the equivalent, so can easily check things in any model's repair manual, unlike my sort of dabbling, where I try to bank up questions for a while and then feed it another $20 on rare occasions and get the answers.

Elektroingenieur also seems to have access to pretty good databases of industry standards like the SAE ones. I have privileges at a pretty good engineering library too, which includes a big online database of standards, but I'm still often surprised at what isn't there, and then what is there will often display only with some third-party DRM plugin, which irritates me. I'm perfectly willing to respect their copyright and be thoughtful about fair use. I'm a lot less willing to give somebody's black-box DRM software a foothold in my computer.

They might be typing it on some gizmo that works that way.

Jeff Horwitz likes this.
  17. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    It's quite likely that all the text is stored as upper case to make it simpler to do searches and such. Lazy programmers do that kind of thing to avoid having to match upper and lower case letters.

#17 dbstoo, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Most search engines don't care if it's upper or lower case? I think they just like to shout? Anyway, apologies for the topic derail.

19. Jeff Horwitz

Jeff Horwitz New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Update here (and further praise for Elektroingenieur).

I researched everything he wrote about so I could understand it well enough to discuss, then on Monday had a talk with the senior mechanic at the Toyota One dealership in Oakland. I walked the mechanic through the case that Elektroingenieur made of overlapping problems, based on both the recurrence of the code and the logic that the auxiliary battery was unlikely to affect servomotor performance in Ready state. He acknowledged the plausibility of the argument, and asked me to authorize the sub-assembly disassembly to figure out if that was in fact what was going wrong.

A day later he called to say both that the servomotor had in fact failed and that Elektroingenieur's description of the likely decision tree they went through on the first repair under warranty was spot-on. He then said he was going to need to talk to Toyota corporate. (I've found this dealership to be pretty stand-up).

Two days later, Toyota agreed to eat the full repair cost. There's no doubt in my mind that the advice I received on this thread likely saved me north of $5,000, partly because it guided the diagnostic work and partly because it was apparent he and I were both working off the same set of facts.

@Elektroingenieur, I would happily send you a consulting fee on this. I'm also happy to donate a few bucks to PriusChat's operating costs if there's a way to do that.

20. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thanks for the kind words, and for letting us know how it turned out–it’s my pleasure to help. As for supporting PriusChat, that’s more @Danny and @Tideland Prius's department than mine.

JohnPrius3005 likes this.