1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shattered rear hatch vertical window

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Insight-I Owner, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Has anybody reported problems with the vertical rear hatch window shattering? Mine is completely shattered, only the tint is holding it together. I can't see a single impact point (and don't think I backed into anything). It looks like a network evenly distributed over the entire rear window. But maybe this is the way safety glass breaks when it is hit at one point???

I'll take it to the dealer Monday but was wondering if anyone had reported anything like this. I did a couple of searches and couldn't find any cases for the Gen-III.

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is the first posting of such a glass issue on a Gen III Prius. It sounds like the normal safety glass breakage.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    This is why I purchased glass coverage from AMI for $189 per year. This coverage also reduces the cost of chip repair to $25 for up to two chips by a competent shop (Crystal Glass).
    But yes, tempered glass will totally crystallize when broken. It will be very difficult to find the point where the break started. It could have been caused by anything, including vandalism.

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  5. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dealer wants $350 for the part and $200 for installation (by Safelite, who they subcontract to). So be careful when you back up!!! I have no recollection of hitting anything.

Insurance will cover it. I'm getting OEM Toyota glass because it has a heating element for defogging.