1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I Choose My Service Provider Carefully?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by psoque, Sep 4, 2017.

1. psoque

psoque Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I live in Indianapolis metro area, where there aren't many Prius Primes in circulation at this time. Actually, as many of us know, there aren't that many Primes available for sale in the entire Midwest at this time. I just bought mine in New York. I have been using our local Toyota dealer's service department for our non-hybrid, non-plugin vehicles. Supposedly this is the largest Toyota service department in the state. Their services have been Okay, not extraordinary, but not terrible. I know they sell a lot of regular Priuses, and they service a lot of cars. As far as I know, this dealership has sold just one Prime so far.

Knowing that my car will be one of the first Prius Prime vehicles there to be serviced, should I be worried? I do not want to make a road trip to, say NY, for my periodic maintenance.

Should I ask around to find out which one of the Toyota service centers have dealt with Primes more? Or is is OK to assume that their previous experience with non plug-in Priuses good enough?

#1 psoque, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  2. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    you would think they would be getting up to par in the prius prime world...i see you live in fishers...well, i live up the road from you in ft wayne...the 2 toyota dealers here have no problem with the prime...i had to buy mine in dayton, ...so if push comes to shove and you arent satisfied with indy...buzz up 69 to ft wayne toyota right of I-69 on the west side ...btw im 1 of 2 primes in ne indiana at this point...

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  3. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I asked the sales manager this very question when I ordered mine. There are about 50 Primes running around in OK. I asked if their techs would be trained. He said it should not be a major issue. The majority of the car is the same internally as the other Prius (engine, HV battery, etc) so unless it's something very Prime specific, it should be a non issue. Nobody has a lot of experience with these yet. They're new.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) you don't have to stick to one place. if you're happy with the current dealer, use them until you are unhappy.

2) there is no prime specific maintenance for the first 100,000 miles, so unless you have a defect, it doesn't matter whether they have been trained or not.

3) if you do have a prime specific issue, and they can't fix it, you can call toyota. they can get a field rep involved, or move you to a dealer with a trained mechanic.

john1966 likes this.