1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I get Michilen Energy Saver A/S or Yokohama Avid Ascends?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Destinyx, Sep 15, 2013.

?
  1. Energy Saver A/S

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Yokohama Avid Ascend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Neither

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Destinyx

Destinyx New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I currently have some Goodyear integrity tires and have not been very impressed with the traction they have in wet environments (I consider the Integrities to be borderline dangerous), now that it is time to get new tires, I have been looking to get new tires that will have similar (or better) MPG than the Integrity tires, but I really want to have better wet traction as I live in the Seattle, Washington area and it is rainy most of the year here.

I really like the Michilen Energy Saver A/S because it looks like it has better MPG and better wet traction performance than the Integrities. However, a friend recommended the Yokohama Avid Ascends as he seems to say they will have much superior wet traction and tread life.

I have been trying to figure out which tire would be better for me and finding information on the Yoko's has been a challenge so I was hoping that anybody here can share their experiences with their tires to help me make the most informed decision that I can! I'd like my next tires to have good wet traction, good MPG, and decent tread life.

Thanks!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Excellent judgment on your part to get rid of the Goodyear Integrity tires.

Here's a recent post from an owner of two Prius who reports poorer mpg with the Yokohama tires, although it is unclear whether that is due to:

1. the tires
    2. the wider Touring tire size
    3. random variability between the two Prius he owns

Replacement tire recommendations for a Gen II (2007) Prius? | PriusChat

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! from reading other's experience's, i would get the michelin's because they seem to have the best overall performance. mpg's, quietness, handling, etc. they might not be the best in each area, so if one is most important to you, keep searching. all the best!(y)

4. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I love my new Michelin Energy Saver A/S, far better than the Yokohama's. My stock Yokohama's only lasted 27k on my vehicle. (Rotated tires every 5k) Michelin Energy Saver A/S even stopped the snap, crackle and pop noises on my dashboard. PLEASE NOTE, YOU HAVE TO GIVE THEM TIME TO BREAK IN BEFORE THEY STABILIZE!!!

5. willsundog

willsundog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the Michelin Energy Savers on my 2009 Touring Prius and am exceptionally unhappy with their road noise which is so bad my wife refuses to drive the car!

6. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If better MPG was your highest goal I would suggest Bridgestone Ecopia EP422. I Drive the buffalo New York. I had Michelin HydroEdge which were phenomenal in rain but had a loss in MPG.

7. turnbowm

turnbowm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    They are definitely noisier than the OEM tires (Bridgestone Turanza EL400). I would not buy them again for that reason.

8. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would go with the Goodyear Fuel Max tires. I've had several sets of those over the years with good results.

9. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am on my second set now. The Michelin Energy Saver AS is the most fuel efficient tire
    you can buy in the U.S. No other tire is as good when it comes to MPG. I tried the Bridgestone 422's
    they were not as fuel efficient, and at high speed would wander on the roadway as if you were being hit
    by a side wind.

If anyone knows of a more fuel efficient tire available in the U.S. please let us know....

dorunron likes this.
  10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Since you are on your second set of them, would you please share with us what kind of mileage you got on them before they wore out. IE 40,000 50,000 60,000 etc.

Glad to hear you like them as much I like ours.

11. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think you should also consider consumer reports evaluation, they said that the michelin eneryg saver as was a really good tire and if I remember correctly they said that the michelin was the best LRR tire tested and had as good of wet traction as most non LRR all season tires.

I would look over their observations before buying(y)