1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

shutting down the prius c while ICE still running?

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by deckbuild, Apr 26, 2014.

1. deckbuild

deckbuild Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    is it advisable to shut down the car while the ICE still running?

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How did you do it in your previous vehicles?

Short answer: yes

Some will advise running the engine through the minimum of 1 warmup cycle before shutting down. But this is true of all gas engines, try to get them up to temperature before shutting down so vapours don't accumulate.

mertechperformance and Stevie like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    +1 ^ some have had trouble with detonation when restarting after a cold soak in the lift back. (ex: starting engine, moving in driveway, shutting down and not restarting until the next day or some combination of this) not sure about the c though.

4. AEROENGR

AEROENGR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2013 Prius C2 with a total of 4512 miles made an engine noise on start-up. The noise lasted for about 3 seconds after a cold start at 59F ambient temperature. It was a soft clanging sound at about 4 or 5 Hz and there was no engine vibration - the start was smooth. I had moved the car from the driveway to the garage the day before and shut down the engine after it had been running for about 15 or 20 seconds following a cold start. The noise occurred on the first start the next day. I also own a 2011 G3 and I am well aware that the liftback should not be shut down until the warmup cycle is completed. Since I had heard of no similar problems with the C, I shut the engine down without allowing it to complete the warmup cycle the day before. From now on, I will operate my C as I do the G3 - no engine shut-down until the warmup cycle is completed.

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/potential-solution-to-the-rough-start-engine-rattle.90441/#ixzz300YrTGSs
    Follow us: @PriusChat on Twitter | PriusChat on Facebook

orenji likes this.
  5. deckbuild

deckbuild Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually what I mean is after a long drive, I cruise to a stop and just nice the traction batt ran out of juice and the ICE turn on to start charging it. Is it advisable not to shut down the engine during that charging or just shut it no matter what?

6. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When the traction battery says it is completely empty and charging, it still has about 40% left. Just like when it is completely full, it is only at 80%. The car takes care of itself. Just drive it and forget it is even a hybrid.

7. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What he said. :)

After the initial warmup run, you can turn it off at any time.
    Letting it run just to charge up the battery is wasting gas.

8. deckbuild

deckbuild Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    By the way, very nice avatar ypu have there, my fav car of all time =)

9. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You can shut it off at any point and not worry about it. It is not a fragile blossom, it is an automobile that has been well tested.

mertechperformance likes this.
  10. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks! They're a blast to drive :D

11. Bill Clark

Bill Clark New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    All ICE engines are very inefficient at any lightly loaded condition particularly at idle. So we run the traction battery down to a BLUE just before we are going to stop for the night, thus in the morning the ICE is running at a higher % load at start up and we get to our cruise speed using about half throttle which is about the maximum ICE only efficient range. In about a mile or two the TB is all GREEN charge. If traffic is clear, we keep the ECO score in the lower segment of the ECO score display to at least 10 mph and up to 35 mph so that only the traction motor is running. Using these and other techniques, we have seen as high as 76+ mpg (74+ mpg actual). Of course if traffic is not clear, we keep the it in the first segment to 10 mph, then within the second segment to 25 mph then hit resume on the speed control and let the computer efficiently take speed back to the preset level where it stays up or down hills as we have not been able to beat the computer with the foot. Bill not Nancy

12. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do not shut off the ICE at cold start up into it has gone through the 1st warm up cycle and shuts off, or you may experience a very noisy and rough start up the next morning, this has been noted many times on Priuschat.

13. DianaM

DianaM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, I am going to ask it... What is ICE? I have looked all over this forum to see what it is or what it stands for and I can't find it.

sks1031 likes this.
  14. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Internal combustion engine.

DianaM likes this.