1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side mirror turn signal lights

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Elektroingenieur, Jan 8, 2017.

1. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    sfv41901,

Thanks for the reply! I took an exploratory look over the weekend and the physical mirror install is easy once you learn how to pop off the door panels, I'm still having trouble locating the BCM, is the BCM the green highlighted box from your pics? Is it also called the Main Body ECU? I see where the new wiring is in the red box, but can't discern where you are tapping in. I know you don't have the best pics from the install.

Attached Files:

2. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You have access to TIS? If you do then you have access to the electrical service manual. In there it shows you where each parts are located. Then there’s a wire diagram showing all the connector and each wires and where they go.

3. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm in there now again and I'm slowly getting a hang of it. I have a basic understanding of wiring and circuits, but its a little more complicated to what I'm used to! I think I found the ECU see attached

and from what I understand I can tap directly into either rear or front signal light assemblies, just worried about burning something out!

I believe number 6 is the ECU
    2018-04-04 01_06_51-ECUlocation.pdf - Foxit Reader.png

And these are the circuits I can tap into
    2018-04-04 01_11_32-turnsignal.pdf - Foxit Reader.png

4. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Perfect. So what you’re showing is the rear turn signal lights. Wire from that connector is yellow and the other is light blue.
    Use the multimeter to test it to make sure. Ground the neg lead to the car’s body and touch the positive (usually red) lead to the wire. Turn on he signal and if it is the correct one you should see the pulses 12volts (off and on.)
    What I normally do is use a razor blade is very carefully strip back the wire plastic cover a bit to then solder my wires to that wire then wrap it back with electrical tape. I like this much better than the wire tap thing since these wires sometimes are very small.
    Anyhow good luck with your install. Take some pics of the process and post here hopefully others can follow your lead :)

RCO and bobthejedi like this.
  5. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Negative. What u’ve highlighted is the footwell junction. The BCM (Body ECU) is higher up in the dash.

iPhone ?

6. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I found that out later and posted here where I think you meant

I finally found the pinouts, it was hidden in a relay section in the TIS [wiring > Location and wiring > Instrument Panel > relay location > Relay location > Instrument Panel ]

Here is how I understand it with the diagrams together, red lines matching up with the pinout to the connector, please correct me if I wrong!

EDIT: I messed up the line for Rear RH connect 3H pin 17 location, but you get the point

sfv41901, do you remember which one you tapped in with the red and black Turn signal wiring? Does it matter which I choose between front or back?

2018-04-04 16_59_53-ECUpinout.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Pro.jpg

#26 bobthejedi, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  7. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'd venture to say that it doesn't matter as they all (per side) flashes all at the same time.

8. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    U can use either the front or rear signal for the tap.

iPhone ?

9. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Its interesting though because in this thread where someone added in their own lights by cutting in(!) into the quarter panel, the lights appear to be flashing off sync in the video. Who knows maybe due to the different lights and hows its processed at the light itself
    EDIT: I think its off sync due to his use of relays...I read his other posts further down

Side marker, 3rd brake light strobe mod.

I can't tell from Sean's video he posted if they are in sync or not, not that it matters that much.

So I've refined my (questionable?) looking diagram further to hopefully make it clear what going on, I will remove these if there is a major error so no one else does it, but this is what I have below matching up with what actually is visible in the car to tap into. My earlier diagram was "reversed" due to how they show the connector pinout. I'll probably tap into the rear signal as its just easier to get to from this vantage point.

The last stupid question is I presume the black wire of the signal light can just go to common ground or to an exposed metal piece like I did for my dashcam install. Or should it go somewhere else dedicated?

Thank you for all the input, I'm going to attempt this on saturday and will report back!

2018-04-05 17_19_34-Left Mirror - OneNote.jpg

10. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Those ground wires, you can just attach them to any metal part of the car (like a bolt or something). The whole car (metal) is grounded.

Looks like you got those signal wire figured out. Congrats.

11. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The ground can technically go to any piece of metal on the car as the whole car is grounded.

Good luck 2morrow.

iPhone ?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  12. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You know which wire to tap in for the driving light?

13. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, those ones I do know since I done have a dashcam install here , here are instructions from the avest side markers.

Attached Files:

14. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    good news, I have completed main install on saturday and today just finished wiring up the turn signal circuit, pics will come soon, but I will say that this is a pretty involved install, the door panel and mirror install were easy enough, but fishing the wires through the door boot and getting them from the passenger side to drivers ECU was tough!

I spent maybe 3-4 hours just learning the drivers side connectors and wiring!

I haven't wired up the puddle lights yet as I haven't had enough daylight hours to work with and haven't found the purple wire in the A-Pillar, but one of the TIS docs regarding the LED illumination package shows kinda where it is.
    2018-04-08 18_55_12-Reader.jpg

sfv41901, do you remember if you were able to keep the A pillar cover connected or if you had to remove, there are some weird warnings about the garish clips can't be removed, probably toyota just being cautious?

2018-04-08 18_58_07-Reader.jpg

15. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just in case anyone else is reading this later on, this diagram is correct to the best of my knowledge on my 2016 Prius 2016 with ATP (advanced tech package shouldn't matter). But do check yourself with a multi-meter, you should see the voltage fluctuate to 10-12v when the turn signal is activated.

I chose to tap the purple and green wires as those were the most exposed, but the yellow and blue also worked.

2018-04-05 17_19_34-Left Mirror - OneNote.jpg

RCO likes this.
  16. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    See my previous posting about the garnish clip. The price of a new clip is now $3.16, but it’s still a good deal, considering the nuisance you’ll save.

bobthejedi and RCO like this.
  17. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Elektroingenieur! Is that the price quoted by your local toyota? I checked a few websites and seems like its cheap byitself, but shipping makes it rather annoying.

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  18. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I removed the a pillar cover. Just replace the clip.

iPhone ?

krmcg likes this.
  19. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    It’s the list price (MSRP) from parts.toyota.com; many dealer parts counters sell at that price, but they can ask more or less, as the market will bear. A Toyota dealer near me sells them online for $2.15, plus shipping and tax.

20. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just bought a sequential signal mirror from Japan. Looks like it’ll be my turn soon but on a Prius Prime

#40 randomwalk101, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018