1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side mirror turn signal lights

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Elektroingenieur, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The taillights, parking lights, and license plate lights (plus internal illumination) are switched separately from the headlights, as shown in the partial schematic for the light control switch that I posted in another thread:

Gen 4 Prius "Maintenance" mode | PriusChat

The headlight dimmer switch assembly is connected to input terminals of the Main Body ECU, which has output terminals going to the headlight assemblies and to several relays (TAIL, H-LP LH, H-LP RH, H-LP SHADE), all shown in the “Headlight” and “Illumination, Taillight” pages of the System Circuit section of the Electrical Wiring Diagram, available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com.

The TAIL and PANEL circuits, controlled by the TAIL relay, provide switched +12 V to several junction connectors; just the diagram for those runs to seven pages, which is more than I’m able to post here.

2. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Urghh. Okay thanks....but which wire to tap into again? lol

3. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wow I ordered the light coming from Japan last Friday and it was shipped out yesterday (Sunday for us but Monday for Japan). Today tracking said it’s in Chicago. Looks like it’ll be here in a couple days. That’s FAST!!!
    that’s faster than some stuffs I ordered from US sellers.
    I also ordered a black steering wheel appliqué from China over three weeks ago. It’s still going...lol

4. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just keep in mind if you go that route, you'll have to provide your own cabling between the lamps and ECU, the mid connector between the door and body might be interesting to bypass, I think you could sneak a few wires through without using the connector pinout.

I think getting this third party part is much cheaper and easier given all the parts

Depe likes this.
  5. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Got the lights today. Wow, 3 days shipping time. Coming straight from Japan. Unreal.
    Looks like it’ll be a busy weekends :)

sfv41901 and krmcg like this.
  6. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    krmcg likes this.
  7. jnpSacto

jnpSacto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just started this journey, to install sequential turn signal mirror lights with puddle lights and running lights on my 2017 Prius Prime Advanced model. Here is my purchase from Ebay:

For Toyota Camry C-HR Prius XW50 Mirror Dynamic Turn Signal Light | eBay

This thread is going to be quite useful for me to do a self-install.

For my contribution to this thread, I have discovered an easy way to run the wires from the passenger side of the dash over to the driver's side. There is a structural member running through the entire dash, from side to side horizontally. I'm not sure if this beam, in the form of a "pipe" is to provide lateral structural stability for the vehicle or to provide crash protection, but since the tube is open on both ends, it makes for an easy conduit tube for getting wires from the passenger side to the driver's side. Open both doors, pop off the side panel on the dash on both sides, and then just feed all necessary wires with a wire fish through the pipe, and voilá! You've just saved a bunch of time upside down under your dash threading wires over to the driver's side! I'm pretty sure all this would apply to the regular Prius as well.

Supplied 3 lead running light and turn signal wire fished on passenger side. I still have to fish the puddle light wires and the sequential on/off switch wires:
    20190622_150032.jpg

Supplied 3 lead running light and turn signal wire fished on driver's side. I still have to fish the puddle light wires and the sequential on/off switch wires:
    20190622_145931.jpg

It took me mere minutes to do this. What a timesaver!

If the wires end up rattling inside the pipe, I'll just wrap the whole wire bunch in small diameter pipe insulation and re-feed them through the pipe. Easy-peasy!

#67 jnpSacto, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019