1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Skid Control ECU replacement part help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by chad smith, Jul 29, 2013.

1. chad smith

chad smith New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank y'all for looking - I've been lurking for a while now, and need some help from the forum. I am a courier who relies on the Prius running nearly every day for 400+ miles or more.

Starting in April, my '05 Prius began having brake problems, which was noted as glazing of the drums, rotors, and the pads and shoes. (I do NOT ride the brakes and have not ahd any other car Glaze the shoes and pads)

I had a full brake repair done by a certified Prius (independent) tech at a repair shop, only to have the same problem occur within 3 weeks. I also noted the "failure to stop" issue with the car.

Fast forward....and an additional brake job and turning of drums and rotors and pads x2, I still have the issue.

Toyota scanned the car and said replace the brake light witch and battery.

I did this (with OEM toyota brake light switch) and an optima battery made for these cars.

Today a repeat scan shows that I need to replace the Skid Contol ECU,Part # 89540-47130

The Dealer wants almost $1800 plus labor to replace the part. I have searched the forums, and have yet to come up with an answer to the following:

1. Can I replace the Skid Contol ECU,Part # 89540-47130 with a USED Skid Contol ECU,Part # 89540-47100 , and will it be plug and play? Toyota says the replacement part number for the Skid Contol ECU,Part # 89540-47100 ECU is Skid Contol ECU,Part # 89540-47130.

2. Will this require Toyota "re-scanning or Re-flashing" the unit after installation?

3. Since I bought my car used, if it has the...130 part, does that mean it has already been replaced once by Toyota?

4. Relays and fusue have been checked.

5. There are TONS of Skid Contol ECU,Part # 89540-47100 units avaiilable on the web as used, but I have found only one or two places that have the Skid Contol ECU,Part # 89540-47130.

6. Could a brake job being performed without the computer hooked up and "bleeding" the brakes cause the same issues with an ECU failure, and if so, should I have Toyota bleed the system first before attempting a replacement of the ECU? (not that I don't trust my mechanic, but I have to ask)

Thank you for your patience and your responses. And Yes, I am mechanically capable, but don't have tons of time.

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. I would hope those ECU numbers would be compatible, but I don't know. Perhaps put a message to the folks at Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle PHEV and ask them what they think. It is a plug and play ECU. You can do it for much less than $1800.

2. No, it should be ready to go.

6. If one does not disconnect the 12V battery before the brake job, then there can be some error codes that will show up from the brake ECU. The brake actuator can run even with the car turned off, so that can make for problems with doing a brake job in the conventional way. But that won't be the cause of ECU electrical failure.

Since you are having a problem with brakes glazing, there is some problem with the pads dragging. Perhaps the slide pins, or the pistons sticking? I would suggest asking what error codes are being set, and list them here for more advice.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In July 2008, the skid control ECU on my 2007 was replaced because of DTC C1247, and the part number used was 89540-47100. Since your car is older but has the newer version ECU, it seems likely that the ECU was previously replaced.

The braking problem on my 2007 came back a few months later and the dealer replaced the brake pedal stroke sensor assembly, 89510-47010, in December 2008 as DTC C1245 was logged. That turned out to be the permanent resolution in this case.

I'm not sure whether you will have a problem if you install a 47100 ECU at this point. Before you replace the ECU a second time, you might consult with your dealer as to whether the stroke sensor should be replaced as an alternate approach. Good luck.

CheapSk8 likes this.
  4. Teresa Y Kirkpatrick

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just had the same diagnosis and was quoted the repair estimate at $6000+!!! I have been looking for used cheap parts, and like you can only find 89540-41000 skid control modules rather than 89540-41030's. I am trying to find out if they are interchangeable because the 41030's range from $1700- $2800. The repair shop said the part was $2800. Sigh. Ihope we both find the answer!

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The last activity on this thread was eight years ago, but a thread specific to Teresa's issue is over here.