1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Small battery no power, second time in a week

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Ade211, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Ade211

Ade211 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am yet again suffering from no charge in the small battery. Last week the rac jumped started it and said no problem, just make sure to run the car with ac on once every three weeks if you have not used it. I only use it about once a week at present. Went out today and no power. Help.

Rac man last monday checked battery saying no problem. He could not find the internal cigarette lighter though for me to plug in a solar powered charger. Unhappy. They are coming out tomorrow to jump start it again, then I am taking it to a main dealer. What is wrong with my Prius? Any ideas?

Thanks it is a 55 reg.

Thanks

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Please run the test at Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat after the car has sat MANY hours or overnight (or you can use a voltmeter). Please tell us the 3 values (not just 1). Don't go changing the battery first until you tell us the values...

If you have HIDs, you can avoid unnecessary cycles on the lights by toggling between off and parking light positions.

Weird stuff can start happening w/a low or bad 12 volt. Don't waste $ on having a dealer "test" the 12 volt (07 Prius Dead - Any Guesses? | PriusChat). If you're on the original 12 volt, it's toast and needs replacement.

The bolded part is insufficient if you're not leaving it on for a long time (see 2005 Prius beeps when door is open, then won't start | PriusChat). AC on/off will not change how quickly the 12 volt charges. It's likely you're not driving (or leaving the car in READY) long enough to maintain the charge.

As for cigarette lighter solar battery charger, that's useless as the Prius' outlets aren't hot (are disconnected) when the car is off.

What's a "55 reg"?

Again, if you're on the original, it needs replacement now. In the future, if you have the smart key system, disable it via the switch (a black button) under the steering column to reduce the parasitic drain. Get either a VW OBD2 solar panel (solar chargers? VW OBD2 port chargers? OBD2 disconnect/reconnect cycles? | PriusChat) or a small one that clips onto the battery terminals or get a low amperage battery charger or tender.

I bought an Optimate 4 but have heard of some others that I listed at battery tender/maintainer suggestions | PriusChat.

3. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like the battery is shot. Given that the OEM Toyota battery seems to last only a few years this could even be battery #2 going bad on a 2005. I'd run the suggested tests to confirm, but likely you will be shopping for a new battery. Given that the car sits quite a bit I'd recommend the Optima. It is a fairly easy DIY project if you are so inclined.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The 12v sounds like it is knackered. They last about 5 years (similar to any other car out there). They cost about £150 fitted at a Toyota dealer, and be aware that they are not the same as the off the shelf types you can get a Halfords.

Once a 12v has to be jump started it is usually going to fail again, and soon. Especially in very cold weather similar to that we are experiencing at the moment. This applies to all cars, not just hybrids.

The solar chargers or those that plug into the cigarette socket are no use in the Prius as this socket is only switched on when the car is in ignition. That again is not just a Toyota thing - many newer cars have that safety cut off.

You may also NOT want to jump start your Prius again. They are not like a traditional car and have a much smaller capacity battery. You stand a VERY high chance of frying the computers if you rev the other cars engine or even just connect the cables the wrong way round - even for 1 second.

Just go buy a new 12volt (obviously at your discretion) and continue enjoying your car. And come back to the forum where you can learn more about the new car you have and how to get the best from it.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III