1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key Replacement Cost

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by geeter, Jan 1, 2013.

1. geeter

geeter Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just wanted to get some current feedback on the replacement cost of a smart key. My wife had hers fall off the small security key and it is gone.

I went to one local dealership to ask about these falling off and of course, they said they had never heard of such a thing. Their reasoning was that the button the smart key needs to be engaged for the key to fall off, and most common bumping or laying in a purse or the like would not cause this.

Needless to say, the replacement cost was shocking. This particular dealer wanted $255 for the key body, and another $110 to "program". I am assuming this is a very short programming issue and the labor charge seems high.

Please give me your feedback as to how much some of you have paid, and if you are in the Chicago area and can direct me to a fair dealership that has a better price let me know.

2. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Check out this thread; perhaps PC member h00ktern can help.

h00ktern likes this.
  3. geeter

geeter Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks ftl, I will read it when I get a chance.

If I lost the laser cut key, I could understand the nearly 400 dollar cost. But for just the fob and programming, that is nuts. I spent only 600 bucks with my 2.0t VW engine getting an stage one engine tune. This isn't that far off and is far less intensive of a process.

4. rico567

rico567 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This price is not that far out of line as you look at contemporary "intelligent" or "smart" keys, no matter the carmaker. I thought a key had been lost for a Hyundai we were keeping for a relative, and was quoted $140 + $35 programming. This was not keyless ignition or anything like that, just a regular key with a chip in it. Our SAAB would cost $250 to replace a key, and that's one of the things the dealer impressed on us when we picked up the car. We rented a Camry in CO this past Summer, and National had a tag right on the key that said "$240 to replace." I had some extra keys cut at the dealer when I bought my Dodge Dakota, just your standard old metal key = $7 apiece.

woppa likes this.
  5. zhutton

zhutton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    £300 for me after a swimming session (£305 to be precise with the cost of a replacement key fob and the entry fee to the pool). Doh!

sabasc3 likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you try a hair dryer on the old one?

7. oneup

oneup New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had mine replaced when the dealer returned my car and instead of giving me the remote or sticking it in the cup holder, they left it on the roof as I drove off. Anyways they got me a new one at $450 on the invoice, so glad I didn't have to pay for it.

8. zhutton

zhutton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i tried everything under the sun!

9. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I went the cheaper route. Bought a never used before key fob on eBay w uncut key ($150) and had a "friend" that bought a knockoff mongoose cable with "software" like TechStream on Ebay ($40). Used the TechStream to connect to my Prius v (wagon) and used add new key function to get FOB working perfectly in 30 seconds or less.

Still felt like a lot of money for a "key", but I beat the dealer price by over $100.

Mike D. and fopoku2k2 like this.
  10. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On a Gen3, if you find a new, unregistered fob, Chazz is correct - TS and a Mongoose (or some Chicom clones) will add it with no problems.

To use a pre-registered fob, TS, the official Mongoose cable & means to a seed reset is required.

I believe as the OP stated - $300 for a new fob plus who knows what for a technician is ridiculous. New fobs can be added in seconds...

EVO ? 2

athlete11 and bjar like this.
  11. geeter

geeter Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I might try to find Fob for 150 and see what I can work out. Remember that days where you could go the hardware store and get an extra car key set less than a buck? Even if you had separate door and ignition keys!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. preeusguyorgal

preeusguyorgal New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had my smart key replaced yesterday for $340 + $30 tax in the Los Angeles area. This includes the laser etching for the metal key. I lost it about a year ago. When I got quotes from dealers then, the prices were $500 - $700, which seemed ridiculous. I decided to look into it again this morning and jumped on the $340 quote since I was expecting a much higher number. $340 is still absurd though. Anyway, my invoice says $255 for the transmitter and $85 for the master key. There was no labor charge, so I am guessing it is baked into the already-high parts cost. Hope that helps you. Wish I had checked this site out and maybe looked into the TechStream option, but then again I am not that handy. It is worth noting that they would have charged another $115 to deprogram my lost key, which they told me involves resetting the system.

13. Handygeek

Handygeek Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could one not keep the Smart Key in a small RF-sealed box in the car (out of sight, or course) then use the old fashioned cut key to open the door to the car - then the same key to open a "door" to the Smart Key box (allowing the signal to reach the car sensor) - then start & go?

Eliminate the whole $300. "magic key" nonsense for those of us who can live without it?

14. Kevin Hallinan

Kevin Hallinan New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Ok. I am literally the absent minded professor. I lost the last key for our 2001 Prius. Toyota wants $1,000 to replace our computer and this issue us new keys. Can I use this approach to create and then program a new key that will talk to my computer.

15. Kevin Hallinan

Kevin Hallinan New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I would add that we now have no working key and thus can't turn the car on. I know that this is a problem. The computer owns the key code.

16. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer that originally sold the car should have the key code on file.

17. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You need to find a locksmith who can reflash the computer. This costs far less than replacing it.

The computer has to be removed from the car and sent to the reflashing service. Upon return, the locksmith can add new keys.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  18. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Another alternative would be to install matched computer/keys from a salvage yard.

19. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    $120 for fob, laser cut emergency key and full programming in the San Francisco Bay area.

20. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

You guys get it so cheap. My wife's handbag was stolen with the spare key. $612 dollars AUD and we are near parity with USD.:mad:

bisco likes this.