1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I got bit yesterday - Red Triangle, CEL, Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CooCooCaChoo, Dec 27, 2015.

1. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I pull out of my apartment complex and the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree. I've got red triangle, CEL, Problem with red car and ! on MFD, and for some weird reason I believe the brakes indicator--it looks like this ((O)) with an ! in the center.

That indicator has since gone away, but I still have the other three. Today, very first thing I do is pull codes. None, still showing all three indicators though. Checked the 12v battery charge state on the MFD and its showing 11.8 volts.

Whilst driving, I have noticed that the hybrid SOC has been very erratic, going to full in about 100ft of coasting to a stop light from -2 bars from full.

So...is my hybrid battery toast or is the 12v toast? I am prepared for the hybrid battery being toast. The Prius has allowed me to save enough money to have it replaced, so that isn't an issue. And I can replace the 12v battery easily enough.

This is all on my 2004 Prius with 125k on the clock.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    11 year old Prius, it certainly could be the failure of the 12 volt, the Hybrid Battery or both.

I'd replace the 12 volt to start. Then see what happens, knowing that might not be the end all to your problems.

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had a similar occurrence with my 2009 Gen II (106,000 miles). Replaced the 12V battery, all now good. Here's a link to the original thread (scroll down to post #10) 12v Battery Question | PriusChat

Good luck!

4. CooCooCaChoo

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Oh yeah, one thing I forgot to mention is that the 12v is an Optima Yellow top that is 1 year old. If it is toast, I guess time for a regular battery from the stealer.

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Good product but even they can sometimes go bad early. You can have it load tested (need to remove from hatch and bring in) at most auto parts stores for free.

6. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No codes that you can pull with an engine code reader means the codes are with the brakes. Are you running different size tires front or back? It could also be a bad wheelspeed sensor.
    (!) ABS VSC and brake lights | PriusChat

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There's no guarantees beyond the warranty. The Toyota battery Liberty Toyota installed didn't last 8 weeks. Never again.

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When you do find out exactly what is wrong, please let us know. Sorry to hear you are having trouble.

9. CooCooCaChoo

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Ok. So I pulled the 12v and measured at the terminals, and the reading was weird. Since I also purchased a replacement 12v Bosch branded battery from the auto parts store (anticipating a replacement) I measured that one at the terminals as well. Same reading: 15.5-16.0 volts.

With the battery now out, I turned the car on and of course codes cleared. Drove to the auto parts store to return the Bosch, bought some gas, came home. No codes in the 8 miles driven. Gonna check the voltage in 30 mins as per the owners manual to see what the 12v SoC is at.

BTW, don't buy the Bosch branded battery. It may be the same battery code and specification, but it is too big to fit in that tiny space with the battery holder in place.

EDIT: If it is the wheel speed sensor, would the codes be thrown again after being cleared?

10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like your meter is not reading correctly. Try a different meter, might need a new battery for the meter.

You also mentioned the Bosch battery won't fit. It sounds like you have the "small" battery. If that is the case, you simply need to change the tray out and then the bigger battery should fit. You can get the tray at the stealer.

[ 8 ] ELECTRICAL / ELECTRICAL / BATTERY / Battery tray
    Part Number: 7444047010

battery tray 12 VOLT, w/o "Smart key"

MSRP Core ? Online Price
    $16.75 $0.00 $12.56

[ 8 ] ELECTRICAL / ELECTRICAL / BATTERY / Battery tray
    Part Number: 7444047020

battery tray 12 VOLT, w/"Smart key"

MSRP Core ? Online Price
    $17.41 $0.00 $13.06

[​IMG]

OEM 2004 Toyota Prius Replacement Parts - Olathe Toyota Parts Center

#10 dorunron, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  11. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If a wheelspeed sensor where completely bad (open or short) it throw a code immediately. It's probably not the sensor, but I wouldn't rule it out completely. It's either a problem with your brake system, wheelspeed sensor, or 12 v battery. Have replaced a wheel bearing or done tire work recently?

Oh, and you've got to get a better DVM. There's no way you should be reading over 15 v. The best indicator is of battery health is to read the voltage after the car has sat overnight. Take three readings at the battery, car off, accessory mode with headlights on (one button push, foot off brake), and ready mode (two button pushes). There are threads here that give accepted ranges.

12. CooCooCaChoo

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    UPDATE: Took the Prius to the dealer yesterday and they diagnosed the problem. Hybrid battery going bad AND inverter pump starting to fail. Price to fix is OMFG are you kidding?! I had an inkling that the battery was going bad because I've watched it for the week leading up to the DTCs being thrown and the battery was going to full in under 100ft of coasting.

Since I plan on keeping this car for a long time, I said eh do the repairs. Didn't even bat an eyelash. In the years I plan on keeping her, she will have saved me enough money on fuel costs alone to replenish my repair funds.

Now that my battery is new, I will be observing its behavior diligently to see how the vehicle acts with a new battery.

Oddly enough, when I was there yesterday, I asked the parts counter guy about the warranty on the battery--because I read somewhere on here that the warranty had been upped by Toyota from 1 year to 3 years starting in the new year--and he didn't know anything about it. I will ask the service rep guy when I pick her up today again.

dorunron: the battery trays are different sizes for with and without SKS? The Optima I have is specified for SKS because that's the only one that was listed at NAPA. Would explain why the Optima doesn't quite fit inside the tray because I have a non-SKS model.

Goldfinger: probably just need a new battery in the DVM. It is a Craftsman and I have had it for years now with the same battery. But, that is what the VDC reading was. I'll put a new battery in her and test again in the coming weekend. I need to dig out a couple of screws and put in an SKS battery tray so the battery will fit better.

#12 CooCooCaChoo, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! there is confusion on the battery warranty. in another thread, eric becky called around and got a different warranty from each dealer. then he called toyota, and they said to call the dealer. i hope we can get clarity soon.

14. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm confuserated as to which battery is failing! :confused: There are ways of prolonging the life of the Traction battery ( search for Hybrid Automotive, or Prolong Battery charger) - Here's a link: http://hybridautomotive.com/
    and there have been many (recent) threads on the auxiliary (or Management) battery, so I won't repeat them here! Good luck!

15. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is correct. NON SKS Prius takes a smaller battery and a different tray. Refer to my post above for the SKS tray. Change the tray in your Prius and then the big battery will fit.

16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do find out.
    Been wishing the Toyota warranty on a replacement hybrid battery was longer since I first heard Toyota only guarantees them for a year.

17. CooCooCaChoo

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Alright. So my first commute with the new battery in the Prius and here are my first observations:

- Car feels peppier going up hills. My commute involves about 3.5 miles of rolling hills (7 miles both ways). Whereas the ICE would kick in quite audibly to make it up the hills, with the new battery not so much.

- There is a 0.5 mile stretch of downgrade that I coast starting at 50 mph, bottoms out at about 38 mph, then starts accelerating because of a steeper grade hitting about 55 mph at the bottom. With the old battery, the charging starts at 8 blue bars and hits full bars at about 0.35 miles into the coast, forcing me to shift into B before coming off the hill. With the new battery, It barely charged up to 9 green bars when coming off the hill.

- Coming off the freeway, it's a 4.5 mile stretch of straight pavement with 6 lights to my apartment. At 1am in the morning, there are few cars so I usually cruise that stretch at 35 mph. With the old battery, possibly due to the colder months, the longest I've been able to stay in EV mode was about 1 mile before the ICE kicks in. Before the DTCs were thrown, this had dropped to as low as 0.3 miles--really bad. This was from 9 green bars, and, due to the condition of the battery, full bars a few times. With the new battery, I was able to cruise 1.3 miles before I had to stop at a light starting with 9 green bars. Coming to the stoplight, I had only dropped to 5 blue bars.

- SoC seemed more stable and consistent. With the old battery, when I first bought the Prius, I noticed what other people had noticed: when dropping bars, usually from 6->5->4, it was quicker than expected. Dropping from 7->6, stayed at 6 for about 20 seconds before going 6->5. Stayed at 5 for about 10 seconds before going 5->4. Sometimes it continued 4->3 before starting to go back up. With the new battery, since I've only seen 5 bars at the minimum, SoC stayed there much longer and didn't drop at all. Each bar seemed to last just as long regardless of how many bars there were to start. I will have to observe this again before I can comment further.

Now down to the nitty gritty:

- Brand new battery: $3938.67
    - Core return: $1350
    - Cost $2588.67
    - Brand new inverter coolant pump: $128.38
    - SLLC Coolant: $21.43
    - Labor total for job: $1155.54 (bought evenly distributed between both parts)

Old battery had code P0A80 (replace hybrid battery). They also read a code (not listed) stating INVERTER COOLANT PUMP INOP.

The job to replace the battery alone was already at $3200-$3300. What really pushed it was the inverter coolant pump needing to be replaced as well. Oh well, better than needing a $4000 inverter.

Service Rep Guy maintains that battery warranty is still 1 year only and that he hasn't heard or read anything differently. He recommended that I call Toyota to find out.

If there are any observations that you guys would like for me to take on having the new battery, feel free to make a request here or PM me. Will gladly look into it. Just keep in mind that I will only be able to make extensive/detailed observations on Sundays and Mondays, the days I have off from work. I'll probably dig up this thread again when Spring/Summer comes along and battery capacity returns to normal and make more observations.

dorunron, bisco and Dino33ca like this.
  18. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mad Props to CooCooCaChoo for following their problem to resolution and sharing accordingly! It's threads like this that strengthen the community.

19. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Gosh, sorry to interject as a G1 owner/DIYer.

My dealer invoice stated the 12v battery is warrantied for 18 months, funny, if a defective battery they tend to die after 2 years or if not properly maintained with a good tender that de-sulfates it. In any case, check your invoice/receipt closely. BTW, voltage reading of 15-16 is crazy high.

As far as the pump, you appear to be a DIYer too. If like the G1, it is pretty simple, you just have to make certain you bleed it, on the G1 there are bleeder valves built into the system.

As far as the HV battery, I would love to see the details on each block to show really how bad they are. I recently tore apart the G1 to discover 4 cells of 4 blocks were not healthy and the bus bar was severely corroded not providing the proper signals to the ECU. I would ask the dealer if they can give you a print out of the HV battery readings, if not, get or borrow a Mini-VCI w/ TIS (Amazon $26 Windows XP version or ebay $40 Windows 8-10) Which mini VCI to buy? | PriusChat

#19 DRACO, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  20. CooCooCaChoo

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Buried in the paperwork was this tidbit about the hybrid battery:

Performed further inspection and found the battery block V13 shows only 13.08 volts all others are at 14 volts.

I am a DIYer, I like to do maintenance myself. But since I moved out of my house and into an apartment, I'm no longer able to do even a simple oil change.