1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So long friend. Traded in the Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Zed Ruhlen, May 21, 2024.

1. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Sounds like you have I love it fever of the new car you bought. And how I hate everything about the car that’s gone now. I do the same thing, most people do. I would disagree about almost all of your negs about the Prime. For one, I bet the Prime is at least as efficient in EV. The rear window is fine for visibility. Etc.
    There was this guy who ran over something with his hyundai or kia ev, think it may have been the 5. Totaled the car due to a dent in the low slung battery pack. Also I try to stay away from Korean or Vietnamese products due to the atrocious animal cruelty to dogs especially. It is almost impossible to not buy some things but made in Korea on a car is a NO. That’s an automatic stay away for me. The dogs thing and the low slung battery pack.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A Prius Prime was totaled cause mice chewed up the battery wire harness. Insurance companies are being overly cautious when it comes to damage around plug in batteries.

3. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I guess it could get to be the usual …. Match about cars and their defects. I seriously doubt insurance companies total many Primes for mice chewing. Maybe that’s the only one. It’s not the same as a full ev where the battery is more than the car. And a nick on it from the road totals it.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Misremembered. It wasn't totaled, but the battery had to be replaced cause Toyota didn't sell a separate replacement for the cable. Was $15k, so likely close to the total it line.
    2017 Prius Prime with $15,000 rodent damage!?! | PriusChat

The gen5 Prime battery is now outside the cabin space. Same with the Rav4 Prime. Smaller batteries are less exposed, but are still exposed. With the insurance companies wanting to replace, and not repair the battery, the costs will be high for even PHEVs. And they'll do it for even minor damage to the case. Manufacturers are withholding access to diagnostic data that would show if the cells have been damaged. The insurance doesn't want to risk a fire later, so play it safe.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/scratched-ev-battery-your-insurer-may-have-junk-whole-car-2023-03-20/

5. Zed Ruhlen

Zed Ruhlen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don't think that animal cruelty is unique to asian countries. Certainly it is a regular news item in the states that some dog mill was shut down for cruelty. I think it's just more widely publicized from asian countries because, well, racism.

You can certainly disagree with my reasoning but if you go back to my very FIRST post here you'll see me complaining about these exact items. The rear window is HORRENDOUS. It's awful. The people who don't think it is awful are invested in the car. There is no reason that it has to be that way besides a fashion statement. Note the new prime doesn't have that window. And the usability of the window has been a widespread complaint. The first time my kid drove in the Prime during the rain he asked me "how do you see out the back of your car?"

The Prime certainly claims high efficiency but my experience on the same drive says otherwise. Take the Prime on the freeway and the range decreases drastically. The Ioniq loses range but not to the same degree. Note that the CD for the 2018 Prime is .25 and the Ioniq 5 is .28 so clearly the motor is more efficient in the Ioniq.

As far as a dented battery causing a car to be totaled, that is completely up to the insurance company. I strongly suspect that is FUD as well. Likely there is something else in the equation, there usually is. Like the entire bottom of the car was damaged and destroyed but the anti EV faction claims it was the battery.

6. Zed Ruhlen

Zed Ruhlen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Most of the time you don't charge to 100% so it's almost never an issue. If you drive down a really big mountain it MIGHT get to the point where there is no more capacity in the battery but I imagine that is pretty rare. But here's the thing about engine braking in the Prime, it wastes fuel and increases maintenance to the engine for almost zero benefit in brake life. In my situation it is seriously bad for the car because you take a cold engine and run it for a minute or two down a hill then it gets turned off when I reach my destination. The engine never reaches operating temperature and as a result has flooded the exhaust system and engine with gas and water.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This is an interesting supposition.
    I don't believe I have ever "hate[d] everything about the car that's gone now.".

Sure, with any new car or product there is likely a honeymoon period. The length of that honeymoon varies. But I never experienced 'hate' towards former purchases.

Zed Ruhlen likes this.
  8. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am with Zythryn. I traded a 2012 Miata for the P-Prime and I still miss it.
    Ray

Zed Ruhlen likes this.
  9. Zed Ruhlen

Zed Ruhlen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How could you not? The Miata is the pinnacle of the 2 seater convertible. The team behind that car took the design brief (a small convertible similar to a British design) and improved it in every single way. Is it the most powerful sports car? No. Is it the best steering? No. Is it the most comfortable? No. Is it the most flashy? No. Is it absolutely brilliant? Hell yes!

10. Zed Ruhlen

Zed Ruhlen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've owned a LOT of cars and there's a few I hated. 80 Chevy Citation. 68 Squareback (which answered the question nobody asked: How many times can your car catch fire before you give up on the PoS?). 84? Dodge Omni. 79 Ford Courier (top speed 65 mph downhill with a tailwind)

11. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Likewise, there were cars I disliked, or even hated aspects of. But I hated those aspects while I owned the car. Not just after I bought a new car.

Zed Ruhlen likes this.
  12. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I looked at the stats for the Ioniq. It seems that the Prime will get more distance per kWh of energy. That's the measure of efficiency that you should look for. Very few of the current EV models honestly beat the 2017 Prius Prime in efficiency.

13. Zed Ruhlen

Zed Ruhlen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There's lies, damn lies, and statistics. I know what the ratings are for both vehicles but my personal experience on my commute in both cars is that the Ioniq 5 is more efficient. This could be a variety of factors: more efficient HVAC, better regeneration from a bigger motor, better regeneration software that takes better advantage of the regeneration capabilities of the car, different power outputs on freeway driving, better hill capabilities. I can't say what is the primary factor but my Prime rarely hit the estimated range and often was off by nearly 50% whereas my Ioniq is far closer to estimated range in real world conditions.

bisco likes this.