1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some observations after doing my own oil change on the Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Pdog808, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah it's always a mystery to me, why so many prefer to dispatch jets cross country, crisscrossing contrails abound, when just tooling down to your dealership to pick up supplies is so direct, and cheap. Plus, you don't need to be an encyclopedia of part numbers, if you're registered with them they even know, from something like your phone number, exactly what car you have, what you need.

Merkey and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  2. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Dealer parts are not cheap here, in La La Land. :( (But us old guys don't drive that much, so not many parts are needed. :D)

I keep things simple.
    I'm not going to "over-think" this car, and make it unnecessarily complicated.
    Twice a year, I get an oil change done.
    I buy an engine air filter, and a cabin "element" and change those myself, when needed.
    Get a free tire rotation (and free balance, if needed.)
    I'm done.

(I also like seeing contrails in the sky. :) As long as they aren't coming from North Korea! :eek:)

#22 CoastRider, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    Merkey and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check with them first though, don't assume they're higher. And dealership prices can vary significantly. Too: when it comes down to a dollar or two, I can't get too excited.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  4. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To reduce the splashing maybe you could put a piece of screen over your drain pan. Something with a finer mesh than window screen but porous enough to allow the oil to flow through without backing up. Although if it's as thin as you say it is that probably won't be a problem.

Race Ramps might work, either the one-piece or the two-piece. Although a bit pricey, over $200 for a pair

Race Ramps.png

Paul Schenck, CoastRider and Pdog808 like this.
  5. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I did check pretty closely and all I saw (and felt) was the raised polished surface that the bolt mates to. Also tried getting a fingernail under it to verify that the washer wasn't there. It's possible that the bolt somehow stuck to the surface of the oil pan then washed into my oil catch basin when I removed the bolt.Unfortunately my catch basin is one of those oil jugs with a hole on the side of it so I would have to empty out the entire jug to get to it (already had 5 quarts from my V6 Camry in it already).

I have a hard time seeing how this would happen though. From my experience doing dozens of oil changes, the washer usually is either "welded" onto the oil pan (rare) or it comes right off with the bolt (much more likely). I kept the bolt oriented straight up the whole time in order to avoid having it or the washer fall into the catch basin (this happened once before and was a huge pain in the butt).

snead_c likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The only problem I've had with the Toyota coated washer is sticking. Honda has a similar coated washer, and doing oil changes on a Civic, I've noticed an alarmingly loose drain bolt, when I know I torqued it. Like the coating is compressing. I asked at the parts counter, they had plain aluminum washers in the same size. Never any sticking or compression problems with those.

7. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The exact same thing happened to me once, but with a little more fiddling with a small screwdriver, the "raised mating surface" eventually popped off into my hand as in fact it did turn out to be the washer. Of course you want to avoid scratching the surface. Not saying for sure that your washer is stuck on the pan, but you may want to continue looking into that possibility..

Pdog808 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I may be dropping by my Toyota dealer today and will check the prices. I know that Fram has their "Ultra" oil filter for about $11 (Walmart again!). I would be shocked if Toyota sold their oil for less than $5 per quart though. The oil filter may be another story but I'm in SoCal so I don't hold out hope for any great deals from Toyota. And hey, in either case, I really do like Valvoline (yes, I know oil is oil - this is another point of contention I bet).

Let me know if those ramps work for you. I could do the DIY wooden "cheater" blocks that @Mark57 mentioned but rather stick with a "single unit" if possible. My wife does a lot of spring cleaning where she either tosses or "stores" (i.e. makes it impossible for me to find) items she doesn't recognize.

#28 Pdog808, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    snead_c and jerrymildred like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd concur, basically because that's what the washer always does on mine. I used to try first with just a screwdriver, now I just drag under the screwdriver AND the hammer, lol.

Since2002 likes this.
  10. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Going to leave this for Toyota at my first free 10k oil change. Definitely going to ask them to check for a double washer- thanks!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I will, unfortunately mine does not arrive until late October.:cry:

12. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I check with, and drove to FOUR in my area.
    Oil is always higher at dealer than Walfart.
    Air filters are much higher than the OEM ones I found on the internet.

(Love those contrails in the sky! Former U.S. Air Force man. And airport employee for 20 years. Those contrails were job security. :D)

13. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    No problem - I won't be doing another oil change on that vehicle until my two 10k oil changes are done anyway.

Gratz on your upcoming Prime delivery btw.

Mark57 likes this.
  14. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    For a replacement drain plug gasket, you just need to know the O.D. of the plug, 12 mm or whatever it is. Auto parts stores usually stock replacement gaskets in aluminum, fiber, nylon, and copper all sized by the I.D. I wouldn't use copper if the oil pan is aluminum--it takes too much torque to compress the gasket to distort the gasket into the imperfections in the seating surfaces (that's how all gaskets seal). I've had good results with aluminum, fiber, and nylon. (Tip--to reuse a copper gasket, anneal it, but not like annealing steel. To anneal copper, heat it red hot and quench it in water. It's now softened and will seal again. Copper becomes work-hardened by repeated compressions.)

It's too bad Toyota didn't give us better guidance for oil change time on the Prime. They could have used an algorithm that relates to engine miles, heat, load, etc., or a simple hour meter for the engine, or total fuel consumption--but they didn't. They need us into the service departments often to sell us other services, often unneeded, usually overpriced.

Oil isn't oil--but I consider all top brands to be equally excellent. I'll buy Mobil 1 5W-30 at Costco for the other car and decide on my choice of oil for the Prime after the 2 year free period. I do buy OEM filters. In the rare case of an engine failure during the warranty period, I want to remove one obstacle point from the discussion. Yes, dealerships buy the cheapest bulk oil they can get. I'm a hot-drainer. It carries off more crud as it drains, I've been told. And, being thinner than cold oil, should drain more completely, but I haven't measured that.

Good tip about the home made pre-ramps.

Larry F. and Pdog808 like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If it's per 3rd gen, and I suspect it is, the (Toyota) oil pan drain bolt washer dimensions (measured with caliper):

ID: 12.1
    OD: 21.0

Transaxle drain/fill bolt washers, same disclaimers as above:

ID: 17.9
    OD: 23.9

Pdog808 likes this.
  16. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The washer that I got from Pep Boys was one for a 2016 Prius which I "assume" is very similar to the Prime's design. It was a metal washer (looked like steel or aluminum) sandwiched between two layers of rubber.

@Washingtonian - the oil was pretty clean by the way. It was only a little over 3.2k miles when I changed it and about 40% of those miles (at least) are EV.

@jerrymildred - Checked in at the Toyota parts department (Manhattan Beach Toyota) and a new oil filter cartridge was $6.52 and it was about $6.90 per quart for Toyota 0W20.

#36 Pdog808, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  17. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would also recommend race ramps.

I'm also kind of shocked how none of you know about the quarterly Walmart deal on Mobil 1 (pretty well known in the car community). 5 quart jugs are typically $23-25 and Mobil runs a $12 (per 5qt jug) mail in rebate - typically two per household per rebate period (which is typically every 3-6 months). This effectively makes each jug like $12.

I get a pretty decent discount at a nearby Toyota dealer due to an acquaintance in the parts department, but the online pricing comes close most of the time (it's not unreasonable to buy a half dozen filters at a time to save on shipping).

Trollbait likes this.
  18. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Does anyone have an answer to this?

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    AFAIK the Prime has 3 metal screws to back out, at a completely detachable small oil pan access panel.

No fun at all, compared to 3rd gen. Regardless, I'd still recommend occasional removal of the whole engine panel. It's maybe necessary for transaxle fluid draining, good to look for leaks and check Constant Velocity boot and driveshaft seal condition, and just to ensure the fasteners don't get seized up.

I'd recommend whenever you've got the plastic fasteners out, wash them thoroughly in hot soapy water, float all the grit out of them. That's what jams them, causes them to break as you try to remove. Also, put a little shot of oil on all the steel bolts.

Here's the 3 tools I use for plastic fastener removal. The one in the middle, actually a paint can opener, with hooked tip, is especially handy.

IMG_7214.JPG

#39 Mendel Leisk, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  20. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OUCH!!

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.