1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some observations after doing my own oil change on the Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Pdog808, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I remember someone stating they replaced the button tabs on parts they remove with ones used for motorcycle fairings that are designed to be reused.

The Sonic originally had a engine belly pan. The oil pan plug was reachable through the open space for the exhaust line. So some technicians weren't bothering to remove the pan; draining the oil onto the pan, and then into whatever they caught the used oil with. Recall that the exhaust is close to were this standing puddle on the pan would be.

Sonics no longer have belly pans.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is Oil filter used for PRIME same as Oil filter for Gen3 Prius? I had Gen3 Prius that was out of Toyota Care and was thinking start doing oil change on it DIY and purchased half case of filters. But I just traded that Gen3 with a new Prime. I now have another 2.5 years of Toyota Care on Prime, but if the filter is the same I will supply it to the dealer and ask them to do the oil change on 5k, 15k, and 25k.

3. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, they are the same. My 2010 uses the 04152-YZZA6 and so do the 2017's. I just called the parts department and asked.

#63 Mark57, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Salamander_King likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Then I have enough filters to last 5 years of oil changes.:)

Mark57 likes this.
  5. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been buying them in the 10 packs for each of our 2014 Camry Hybrid, 2014 4Runner, and the 2010 Prius.

I'm also going to assume the cabin air filter is probably the same 87139-YZZ08. This same cabin air filter # fits all three of my Toyotas.

6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's good to know, though I don't have leftover air filter from my Gen3 ownership. Come to think of it, I do have new wipers for Gen3. Would they fit on PRIME? I noticed that PRIME came with contour type wipers which is the type I was planning to replace on Gen3. I was all geared up to do my own oil change and purchased floor jack and ramps. I guess I won't be using them anytime soon. :LOL:

7. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about the wiper blades or the "engine" air filter.

I know the first two oil changes are free, but I've been known to do it myself anyway. When I do it, I know it's right. Plus in previous vehicles, I didn't wait to change the oil at the first interval. I'd do it early. On the Prime, I will have to reevaluate when that might be due to reduced engine run time.

Chrisgen1 and Salamander_King like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You guys are are rabid cargo cultists, lol. I buy my oil filters one at a time, just prior to oil change. Still on original air and cabin filter, and wiper blades.

9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yap, my hoarding instinct kicks in when I see less price per item on AMAZON.:ROFLMAO:

padroo likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We get into that mindset, with certain Costco items (you have no choice), but with cars, when you never know how long you're going to hold it, I stick to pay as you go. The filter and wiper longevity is actually puzzling me: the engine filter in particular looks pretty much like new. Ditto for wipers. For wipers, I think it helps a lot, that the car is low mileage, garage stored, rarely parked all day in the sun.

padroo, Mark57 and Salamander_King like this.
  11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I always keep extra wipers. I have no anxiety not having a spare tire, but spare wipers, I must have! :LOL: I did not have to change wiper on my 2.5 year old Gen3, but the original wiper was needing replacement soon. At the last dealer service at 30K, they asked me if I wanted to have the OEM wiper changed for $25. I said, No thank you, I have spare with me. ;)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe I should change ours. A sort of once-in-it's-lifetime change.

We're still on the original tires too: Michelin Pilot hx mxm4. Car was manufactured Aug, 09 (we bought it "new", in Nov 10, now there's a head-scratcher...), and the tires manufactured Feb, 09. They're getting a bit of cracking, still pretty fine though.

Salamander_King likes this.
  13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OEM tire for 8 years! How many miles is that? On my last Gen3, Ecopia EP20 OEM tires lasted only 20K miles. I am hoping PRIME with Dunlop Enasave 01 A/S will last better, but reading tire reviews on internet, that maybe a wishful thinking.

BTW, I checked PRIME owner's manual for wiper size, but they don't have it listed. (At least I couldn't find on pdf version.) They have section on "Wiper rubber replacement", but nothing about size. I have never changed OEM rubber on any wiper. It is always cheaper and probably better with aftermarket wipers I think. Prius Gen3 had 26" driver, 19" passenger, I think PRIME is the same. Can someone confirm this?

#73 Salamander_King, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm sure it'll be age that make the decision. We're just coming up on 70K kilometers (yes, what are we doing with a Prius :ROFLMAO:). My wife was the primary driver the first few years, doing daily home visits, ferrying people around, that sort of thing. I was commuting via bus/train. But we're both retired now, and your yearly km's has gone from 12~15K to maybe 8K. Also, for 4~5 winter months, I switch over to Michelin X-Ice.

The Pilot's are around 7/32" remaining, maybe as low as 6/32" on the inner edges, due to the rear camber (tires splayed out at bottom). If I was able to ignore the fine cracking, I think the tires would outlive the vehicle, lol. But with most authorities saying 10 years is the absolute max, I may cave by next spring, just for safety.

padroo likes this.
  15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've learned you really need to check the air filter with the sun behind it; they always seem to look 'good enough' otherwise. Then again, with your low miles, you haven't even reach the point GM recommended for changing the air filter in the Sonic.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Off-topic, but around here the last few days, sunlight has been decidely different: the interior forest fire haze has drifted out to the coast. Very strange feeling, everything dry as a bone, and a muted gold hue.

17. Skapruisprime

Skapruisprime Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Did I miss something??? 4 pages and no one mentioned the Torque spec for the oil filter?

Anyone?

douglasjre likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Andyprius1 and Raytheeagle like this.
  19. Skapruisprime

Skapruisprime Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Andyprius1 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    18 foot pounds for oil filter.

Andyprius1 likes this.