1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speaker removal Prime 2017

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by mveras1972, Jul 14, 2019.

1. mveras1972

mveras1972 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How do I go about removing the top of the dash small speakers? I have the JBL system that comes with the Prime Advanced and want to install aftermarket tweeters on top of the speaker grill.

FullSizeRender.jpg

iPhone ?

2. rain27

rain27 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Looks like you can just pry off the speaker covers to gain access. If they are like the non-JBL system, the speaker cover is just held there by clips.

3. mveras1972

mveras1972 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Anyone know if that’s true? What is the best edge to pry open?

iPhone ?

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The Repair Manual (more info) says to remove the front pillar (A-pillar) garnish first, and then to grasp and remove the speaker panel (grille) sub-assembly. No prying should be needed. When removing the garnish, apply protective tape at the specified location, and be prepared to replace the clip.

Since there is an airbag inside the A pillar, I’d also suggest disconnecting the negative (–) terminal from the auxiliary (12 volt) battery, and then waiting 90 seconds, before starting work. You really don’t want the airbag to deploy while you’re working nearby.

mveras1972 and frodoz737 like this.
  5. rain27

rain27 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I didn't bother to remove the A pillar. You can use a hook tool in between the in-place A pillar and the speaker cover and pull upward. Either way will work.

mveras1972 likes this.
  6. mveras1972

mveras1972 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Cool. Thanks! I will try that. I have removed the pillar cover before so it’s not that hard.

iPhone ?

7. mveras1972

mveras1972 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So here’s how I went about this. I modified one of my tools to remove the tweeter grill. The factory tweeter was not that hard to remove, just two screws. The connector comes off the tweeter rather easily after you find the latch. I soldered my new (additional) tweeters to the same points where the factory tweeter is soldered.

What I found odd is that there is a capacitor on the factory tweeter that goes to an additional solder point that don’t seem to be used at all. What are these for?

I decided to connect my new tweeters to the direct connection instead of the connection point that passes through the capacitor. The new tweeters already have one and when I tested the audio, I could not hear the tweeters on that connection with the extra capacitor. I measured 8 Ohms through the factory tweeter capacitor that appears to be unused and 4 Ohms in the points that are used by the factory tweeter.

So overall, there’s a modest improvement in sound crispness, maybe 15% brighter? I was a bit disappointed there, but any improvement I can get is fine with me.

IMG_2222.jpg
    IMG_2241.jpg
    IMG_2243.jpg

iPhone ?

#7 mveras1972, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    7707Prime likes this.
  8. 7707Prime

7707Prime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Was the capacitor under the foam padding? Yeesh, now I need to go back and double-check my install, as I used the black lead for my replacement speakers. Thanks for the heads-up.

9. mveras1972

mveras1972 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No. The capacitor is right by the soldering points. It is just bundled with the wires and dressed up with a black protector wire jacket. The picture I posted you can see the capacitor after I removed the protector. Just be careful with connecting speakers in parallel because that lowers the impedance which will force your radio amplifier more.

10. 7707Prime

7707Prime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks - I meant to indicate the protector jacket. I did not remove it during my install, so I didn't catch the extra capacitor.

Will run some more tests with a multimeter on the dash speakers in the near future.