1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speedometer discrepancy

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Njner, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Njner

Njner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Anyone notice a discrepancy between the speedometer and the speed calculated by other devices? I’ll get speed calculated from various sources (Waze, OpenPilot etc) and they all agree with each other but the speedo runs about7-8% higher. Even the output from the ecu read off obd fusion app is lower than the speedo. Does anyone know how the mileage on the car is calculated? Just wondering if Toyota is playing games. Possibly to get us drive slower and get mpg up or to expire warranties sooner.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The speedometer reads high by design/legislation, and yeah it's in the (vain?) hopes that people will drive a little slower.

The displayed mpg (at least on my 3rd gen) definitely is exaggerated, to date difference is 7.5% vs calculated, at least for me. I would lay this one at the doorstep of Toyota's marketing department.

No, the odometer should be (and likely is) reasonably accurate. Gross inaccuracies especially if it was accumulating miles too fast, would interest prosecutors. Honda had such issues in the past IIRC.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have, and drive a couple miles over.

5. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My 195/65-15 tires make my speedometer and my garmin match, what size tires are you on.

6. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Mine matches the roadside speed (radar controlled) display down the street from me.

Starship16 likes this.
  7. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I use GoogleMaps with GPS HUD Speedometer (AscendApps) which is flawless, really useful, and is well-supported! The Speedometer app is GPS driven and I've found it to be pretty useful. I was getting hammered driving for a local courier/messaging firm. They have GPS tracking on all their vehicles and get e-mails when anyone breaks the speed-limit, and on one memorable trip a month or so ago up to South Burlington, VT I received a frantic call from the dispatcher to go easy on the speed as he was getting swamped with e-mails stating I was going "80", "85", "90" mph on I-89N in Vermont. Well, it was a gorgeous day for a Sunday afternoon drive in the Green Mountain State, but I'd been told that this delivery was time-critical and so I admit I was rather pushing it a bit! (…well, who wouldn't?) I made it with 15 mins to spare, but eased back on the return trip, but was hauled in over the carpet by the boss-fellah, who was quite reasonable, but I swore that it would never happen again! …and now thanks to AscendApps, I now have the true speed shown over the map display, so there really is no excuse! I drive all manner of Toyotas (from Corollas, through Yarises, to all models of Prii) and have found by using the AscendApps Speedometer that in general their speedometers tend to be fairly accurate, and any error tends to be over-reading so 65 (say) on the GPS shows as 66 or 67 on the car's speedo!
    I rest my case, M'Lud!
    :rolleyes: :sneaky: ;)

8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait! Are you saying the app allows someone to email or call you on your cell phone when you go over the speed limit? and you agreed to that term?

9. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nope! Re-read my e-mail. I've no idea (nor do I care) what software my firm uses, but the app from AscendApps allows me to constantly see (…and have a voice reminder if preferred) of my GPS speed.

10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I got that point. I was just curious how the dispatch got hold of your cell phone number when you were speeding.

Edit: On second read, I realized I missed the part you are driving for a local courier/messaging firm. That explains why despatch new your number. Duh!

#10 Salamander_King, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    WilDavis likes this.
  11. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    (y):whistle:;)

Salamander_King likes this.
  12. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Starship16 likes this.
  13. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Mine too. We have several of those radar speed signs in the city. "YOUR SPEED IS..."
    And my Prius speedo matches the radar readout perfecrly.

14. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Actually, it is because Manufacturer's don't want the liability if the speedo should read LESS than the actual speed, and you get a speeding ticket. It typically will read about 2-3 mph high.

benagi and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine too. Always exactly the same as roadside the roadside radar speed display. JFI, the display is for 35 mph zone road where people tend to drive way over the limit, and my speed is anywhere between 28 to 38 mph.

16. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    US standards are for the manufacturers, State laws would be for an individual's car. True.

17. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    No, in this case, the state laws are preempted. As NHTSA wrote in the Final Rule:

In revoking this standard, NHTSA intends that other levels of government be preempted from establishing similar requirements. The agency believes that regulation of speedometers and odometers is not appropriate at this time at any level based on the absence of data indicating regulatory methodologies exist which would in fact yield significant safety benefits. Contrary regulatory decisions at other levels of government would negate the agency’s exercise of discretion and undermine the Congressional goal of uniform national standards.

Further, refraining from regulation will facilitate experimentation by the manufacturers in providing more effective ways of improving speedometer and odometer performance and thus possibly providing significant safety benefits

— Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Speedometers and Odometers; Controls and Displays, 47 Fed. Reg. 7250 (Feb. 18, 1982).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Comparing with my ScanGauge, no speed correction, tire psi of 40:
    When Prime says 45 mph, ScanGauge says 43 mph.
    Also, I've found the sonar "Your speed is" in the area to be at or slightly below my hybrid's reported speed.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the U.S., this gets the attention of not prosecutors (it isn't a crime), but rather liability lawyers who love to file class action lawsuits over alleged product defects. I received such lawsuit notices on my past Honda and Subaru (neither of which displayed the alleged problem), both companies settled with 2% warranty extensions.

Now my newer Subaru's odometer reads about 1.8% low, while the speedometer still reads slightly high. But curiously, its displayed MPG is almost perfect, not skewed by that 'tuned' odometer.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I’m replying to Skylis’ post as a “me too”.
    I’ve noticed a consistent 2MPH difference with roadside “your speed is” signs. My wife was driving the car today and said the exact same thing when we passed one such sign.

To be clear, the “Your Speed Is” signs are ALWAYS exactly 2MPH lower than my speedometer. It is as though the Prime wants me to think I’m driving faster than I really am.

I will check the tire size and reply later.