1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spongey brakes/hard to stop smooth?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Higgins909, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been having a hard time trying to come to a smooth stop. I think it's becoming more noticeable. I use just regen braking to stop if I can, but the majority of times I need at least a little bit more. Quite often regen is rather weak then other times. I pretty much have to pump my brake petal to stop smoothly. It's like I press it and it's not enough so I press it a bit more and then it's too much and will continue to stop faster if I don't let up about a inch and then it's too little and it's this back and forth of too much and too little. If I press the brake pedal to a point, it will start off breaking lightly and brake harder all by itself... I haven't exactly tested this to see what extent it will do it.

There are times I can hear my front left brake clunking a bit for what I assume is it grabbing and letting go as I pump the pedal. There are times I'm going to stop at a stop sign/light and it's like my brakes don't work like I'm expecting them to so I have to brake even harder. Like I thought I was going to be braking this amount initially, not a split second after pressing the pedal and it messes up the smoothness of the stop...

I think the brake pedal is a bit spongy, but I'm not sure how much. It also might have a settling/sinking feeling but I can't quite explain it. Maybe it's air? Hopefully it's not he electric brake pump thing.

When I bought the car 2.7~ years ago the dealer put the cheapest crappiest tries on it and I assume did the same for pads and rotors. Maybe I need new pads even though they look pretty good. I've never touched the brake fluid, maybe I need to look into a flush?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
    Higgins909

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on your car?

sounds pretty normal for prius brakes to me. trying to stop with regen is an interesting and fruitless pursuit.

try removing the rust from the discs now and then by putting the car in neutral around 20 moh and gently applying the brakes.

do you do any routine scheduled maintenance on the car, or just wait until something feels or sounds funny?

3. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    The term Spongy typically indicates air (or perhaps water) in the brake system/ lines.
    Did the OP have any work to the system lately?
    How old is the brake fluid?

I would not think tire compounds would make the term spongy accurate, that would be more of a slip or grabby term.
    So much has been written about the caliper / pad pins loosing their "lube", yet again not necessarily a spongy definition.
    Ditto, rusty or warped rotors and inexpensive brake pads I would think spongy is not an accurate term.

So, inspect the brake line for a small leak/ oil traces.
    Inspect the caliper pistons for a leak and re-lube the pins while in there.
    Then flush the brake fluid and re-bleed the brake system.

If above suggestions fail, it may be a brake master cylinder issue.

P.S. There is perhaps a similar situation here:
    2009 Delayed braking & dangerous . | PriusChat

Good luck.

4. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's got 181k on it right now, 2010. I got it with 163k on it about 2.7 years ago. I've only done air & cabin filters, oil filter and oil, recently had to replace the 12v. Regen has been a hit or miss for me. Sometimes it's quite strong and the majority it's quite weak. I had tried to charge the A/C myself but overcharged and had to take it to the dealer to uncharge and charge. I don't think anything else has been done. I usually have to add engine oil about 2-3k miles after a oil change.

The brake fluid is at least 2.7~ years old. At least on the rotors there is no rust. I was wondering if the pads were a cheap compound causing this, calling them cheap pads because the dealer put the cheapest tires on. I was not trying to imply that the tires causing the squish.

Yesterday when I got home I was messing with my brake pedal, trying to get a feel. I watched a video for a regular car about the brake pedal firming up after 3 pumps. I need to retry it, but I found that when the brake pedal is to the floor, I can move it back and forth 1 inch~ and heard a swishing sound, like your swishing mouth wash after brushing teeth. I wonder if that means there is air mixed in with the fluid or maybe it's just fluid?

Today it seemed to work fine so I'm confused now.

5. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    " ... I found that when the brake pedal is to the floor, I ca..."
    Pedal to the floor !

You have a major issue.
    Leak or master cylinder is my guess.

Leak is easy to see...remove the rims, look under the hood, track the lines.

IMO You need to take this to a mechanic ASAP.

6. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I must clear this up. I never press the pedal that far normally. I was just trying to see if it actually felt spongy at any point. When normally driving I probably only use a 2-3 inches of travel. Usually just a bit past regen which is kind of a fake deadzone area, is where I go for regular stopping. I usually press a bit passed that when I'm sitting at a light.

Today I didn't notice it, although I wasn't exactly thinking about it, on my way home. I remember the spongy/sinking feeling when initially braking.

Do ya'll know if I need Toyota brake fluid? A flush looks fairly easy. The nuts n bolts video just said dot 3. I can't remember if it's brand specific power steering fluid and or brake fluid that you're supposed to stick with.