1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Springs: Self-Install vs. Mechanic

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Starbrand, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Starbrand

Starbrand Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My mechanic said he normally charges $200 when replacing shocks, so it would be virtually the same to switch the OEM springs with the Tanabe DF210's I got last week. But then when I looked up how to do it, it seems so easy. And I told him I could do it as well.

Only issue is I dont have spring compressors, jack stands, some of the bigger sockets, and some wrench spanners. So I'm basically looking into getting the tools myself if I decide to not go with my mechanic. Another issue is my parking lot isnt the greatest area to work on.

Right now, its sort of a coin flip. Theres pro's and cons for both choices. If I do it, I have the tools forever, but I am inexperienced and could screw up badly somehow. And I dont really have the storage for tools at the moment. Not until I move. And if I choose mechanic, at least hes more experienced and I dont have to buy any tools or worry where to put them after. And not having to work on my bumpy parking lot.

What would you do? Should I try and bargain to go lower? Get the tools and try myself?

2. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Just my opinion. I think $200.00 is a good price. I would let the mechanic do it. Wouldn't hurt to ask him if he could do any better but I wouldn't press him too much.

Mendel Leisk and Starbrand like this.
  3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The fact you don't have the tooling does not mean you can not do the job however, the cost for the tooling and parts will be higher than having your friend do it. Your call.

Starbrand likes this.
  4. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $200 doesn't sound like a bad price. It isn't too hard, but you are probably talking a couple of hours if this is your first time, and maybe more depending how fast you work and how many breaks you want to take. There's a good write up on spring installs here: DIY: Spring Install | PriusChat

I'm a DIY kind of guy and like the challenge and wrenching on my own car. You need to decide if that is a habit you want to take up.

Starbrand likes this.
  5. drowssap

drowssap Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am what people call a master mechanic. I wouldn't say that as I know plenty of people that know more than I but when I needed the lift's installed on my trucks, I did the work. When I wanted my full cusco set up installed on the prius....I paid the local yota specialty shop to install them. Now I own the tools needed for your spring set up and have personally done 100's (VW's are horrible) but the job is easy and I would rather take a break and save that time to spend doing whatever. Now for the truck....a lot more can go wrong so that is why I did those myself. But the most important thing is safety. The guys in the videos make it look easy because they know what they're doing. You can MOST DEFINITELY loose a finger or hand if you do not know how to compress the springs properly. But I do not say this to discourage you...but rather have someone very familiar with the process and tools to supervise so you can learn correctly. Just wanted to help fill you in on scenarios and my .02!

Burna J, Okinawa and Starbrand like this.
  6. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Very good advice.

Starbrand and drowssap like this.
  7. drowssap

drowssap Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks! Hope it helps others reading this.

8. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    $200 is a great price. I say save yourself the headache and have your mechanic take care of it.

Starbrand likes this.
  9. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I do believe I was quoted $600 for the TRD spring install from the dealership where I bought my car.

That's obviously ontop of the $200+ for the springs themselves.

I have yet to buy the springs or get this mod done as that seems stupid expensive, but for $200 for a professional install I'd have had it done in a heartbeat.

FYI. I did stop and inquire at a few garages in my town and surprisingly most places wouldn't even do the job....

10. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Focused mainly on the fact that you don't have most of the tools and inexperienced, I would steer you to the $200 route as well. I've done the spring swap many times before the Prius but my experience did play a part. Not to say that the Prius is hard, but suspension work isn't something to take you should take on just yet. NTL, GL!

11. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    For people who do not have good mechanical skills (I am one of them) we have to know our limitations. If we are not comfortable in setting a car on jack posts then we had better not do it. I am not comfortable with it and I do not do it. You have to know what you are doing when you get under a car otherwise you are liable to get hurt badly or killed. I do the things I know how to do such as changing the cabin and engine filters, etc. I leave the rest of it to experts like you. I enjoyed reading your post. I'm sure it will have an effect on people. It did me.

12. drowssap

drowssap Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

In that case...I am truly honored. Thank you

13. ncases

ncases Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think $200 is a reasonable price. I worked on my springs for more than 6 hours when i should have worked extra at work and made $400. Installing the springs is a hard labor especially removing the springs from the rear was a pain In the neck but afterall it was an accomplishment when you saw the results of your hard work.

Starbrand likes this.
  14. Starbrand

Starbrand Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    okay, you guys convinced me to not do it myself. which is probably a good thing. After seeing some pretty bad injuries from springs I looked up, I would rather not. (y)

mechanic said it would take from next friday until that sunday. Hes still in my radar because hes a family friend and with that nice $200 price, but looking around to see if someone can get it done in a day.

15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Normally I always recommend DIY when/where its possible.
    However (comma!) this is a case where I'd give the wrench her/his 200 bucks and call it good.

Tools, experience, storage, and work area all point to letting them do it, and FWIW $200 seems fair.

Good Luck.
    Post pix.

#15 ETC(SS), Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  16. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    A few weeks after install, don't forget the wheel alignment.

Okinawa likes this.