1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squeaking Sound When ICE is Fully Warmed Up

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Prius Student, Oct 10, 2022.

1. Prius Student

Prius Student Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Hi Everyone,

I have a 2018 Prius Prime and I noticed some strange squeaking/rubbing sounds only when the ICE is on and after ICE has fully warmed up, after giving the engine some "exercise" such as driving on the freeway for at least 30 minutes and/or after climbing a steep hill. I will try to describe the noises as best as I can.

- car drives perfectly and smoothly in EV mode with ICE off - no noises at all
    - no squeaking/rubbing noises at all when ICE is on and is still warming up, and when ICE is on and driving in city stop and go traffic
    - squeaking/rubbing noises only occur at slow speeds, less than 40 km/h or 25 MPH, when ICE is on and is fully warmed up, and the squeaks occur when the angle of the car changes
    - chugging/rubbing noises heard when ICE is fully warmed up, and right before car comes to a complete stop, whether brakes are used or not to stop, and again when starting to move again after a full stop, even before the ICE switches on to give power to the car
    - all noises gone again after the engine is allowed to rest for a while, even with ICE on, until the car is given some "exercise" again

Any ideas of what causes these sounds? Are these sounds actually normal or of concern? Thanks for helping Prius Student.

2. PianoBench

PianoBench Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Can you record this? And post it on YouTube or Imgur? Or I think you can also host it on priuschat.com too.

I have no idea what this could be. But the only moving parts in our engine is the steering and maybe a water pump. Everything has been switched to electric so as to minimize mechanical loss on the engine.

Basically no more accessory belts with power robbing pulleys and stuff. That is where traditional ICE engines created noise.

3. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe engine mounts/steering/suspension bushings? I have another car, not prius, in which I get squeaking after the car is warmed up. Squeaks when wheel is turned (suspect steering boots need lube) and when front suspension goes over bumps (suspect suspension bushings need lube). Can only hear it at low speed due to other ambient road noise.

4. Prius Student

Prius Student Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you for your responses! I had the car lifted up on a hoist and found that the heat shields were loose and likely making contact only when the engine is fully warmed up. I tightened the loose heat shields and the noise is gone.

PianoBench and Mendel Leisk like this.