1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Stock Toyota Prius Breaks MPG Record for Cross-Country Drive

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Prim.e.xample, Sep 12, 2024 at 10:30 AM.

1. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The guy had to stop a lot. That's what brings the average speed way down.

G5 is a helluva fuel sipper. An overall incredible technological advancement compared to the pedestrian G4.

2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    @bwilson4web can tell you everything about the Gen 4 Prius Prime gas-tank capacity, as he deliberately let his car run out of gas on multiple occasions to experiment with it.

I think you can come very close to the Gen 4 advertised capacity of 11.3 gallons before the ICE stops, but the most I dared was within about 1 gallon of that in my Gen 4 Prius Prime.

And my distance to empty (DTE) is still around 714 miles, which is, I believe, for approximately around 10 gallons of gas. So, that is close to 70 mpg average real HEV gas mileage without traction-battery PHEV usage. (Gen 4 overestimates it by about 5 mpg.)

#22 Gokhan, Sep 13, 2024 at 2:38 PM
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2024 at 2:47 PM
  3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Send me an email, obvious gmail account that everyone seems to have. I can send you the paper and two diagrams. I can't send the J398 as I'm cheap.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You'll have search the forums as it has been over 5 years since I last owned a 2017 Prius Prime. What I do remember is the Prime requires a 12 V, power on reset if you run both the battery and gas to empty.

Adding a gallon of gas by itself was not enough to avoid a tow. It latched disabling start. Fortunately, I had a Leatherman and got the 12 V ground off and back on. It started right up and I shared a Marine suggestion about Toyota engineering. The previous Prius gave you three starts before latching that required a 12 V power reset.

Bob Wilson

Gokhan likes this.
  5. phase

phase Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    what gen 6? toyota has flat out said this is the last prius they will ever make, hence the resign and going out with a bang legacy

6. phase

phase Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    wayne said he went 40-50 mph most of the way in the forum and on the interstate he went 50-60 mph but would avoid it as much as possible. he was literally being '' that prius'' going super slow in the far right lane that gives it a bad stereotype. if i went that slow in in my ioniq, i could destroy his cross country mpg record. i get 135 mpg at 40 mpg and i dont even have a plug in

7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Oh, no, they never said that, and yes, there will be a Gen 6.

8. phase

phase Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    source?

hill likes this.
  9. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  10. phase

phase Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    well 2 years ago i heard them say last prius then they will focus on evs only after 2030 and only do hybrids with base cars like camry and corolla and so on, like how hyundai dropped the ioniq and only does hybrids with the sonata and elantra, while using the ioniq name for its EV series. same was supposed to happen with prius. but who knows? this is new info so thanks. sadly gen 6 wont be coming out till around 2030 based on prius body timeline gens anyways. i cant wait another 6 years for a new car

11. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Toyota focusing on BEVs?? That won't happen until around 2030. They only have about two BEVs planned for the next few years.

Yes, they will be all HEVs soon.

Gen 6 Prius will debut in the model year 2029. I don't know, but I am guessing it will only come in a PHEV version and perhaps also in a BEV version at that point. If Corolla is offered as a hatchback, then an HEV Prius will not really be needed, but then, you never know.