1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange bright flashing blue light inside door panel at night?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lilytoes, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Lilytoes

Lilytoes New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I recently purchased a 17' Toyota Prius Prime (Blue mag).. The dealership I dealt with was somewhat shady. Still, I went through with the purchase because of their high ratings/reviews.

Fishy circumstances: We bought the car from a distance (three hours from the dealership). Before arriving they told us they were going to "fix" a dent on the outside of the driver side door at no cost. We were thankful. Then, they informed us that the they accidentally split/broke the side window of the driver's side in the process. They agreed to pay for the mishap, but stated it couldn't be done in a week+ because the windows were "backordered". We agreed to take the car home, and the guy who broke it agreed to drive three hours out to our place in about one-two week's time. We made sure this was in writing before leaving with the car.

Coincidentally, last night, I noticed that my driver side door's usual light (at the bottom of the inner door), was flashing blue in the middle of the night. Like BRIGHT blue. Its no longer flashing during the day and appears to only activate at night. Upon research, Primes don't appear to have anything like this according to the manual. Research online shows it might be an after market tracker? Oddly, it doesn't flash during the day. Only at night. We want it removed and also want to know WHAT it is. They won't fess up to installing one. Does anyone know anything about after market trackers installed inside of doors?

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When a used car is sold, the dealer often does not know about the aftermarket mod made onto the car. I don't think you are going to get an answer from the dealer. There have been several posts here asking about aftermarket security devices, but it is hard to guess what it is without more detail. Any photo?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sounds interesting.

Door trim is usually pretty straightforward to remove. If it were mine I would open it up, extract the gizmo, and post lots of pictures here. :)

privilege and Salamander_King like this.
  4. Lilytoes

Lilytoes New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The young lady sales rep who sold us the car actually contacted the previous owner. It has only ever had one owner before myself. The person said they never installed anything extra into the car. To me, that proves the dealership had to have had something to do with it. I don't think the sales rep knew about it - but I would bet the men in service know about it. That or the glass/dent guy that originally broke the window.

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or it could have been installed by the original dealer and the previous owner never notices or cared to ask about the blinking light. Many dealers do install security devices on the cars they keep in their lot, but my understanding is that it is more often the original dealer with a brand new car that does this than the second dealer selling a used vehicle. In any case, photos and more detail will help.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Or the whole story about the driver door dent/fix/mishap was cover to install the gizmo, or for some mishap that occurred while installing it.

My mind doesn't always go quite that cloak-and-dagger, but it's been Monday all day today.

Lilytoes likes this.
  7. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    There is always the possibility that the worker left his flashlight / worklight inside the door. Cheap ones tend to have a blueish tint.

Car dealers frequently ship cars from one dealer to the next. I found that my car had "one owner" but the carfax shows that it was bought in two different cities a year apart, and then was traded at least once before it made it to my dealer.

privilege likes this.
  8. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You said it blinks at night, but does it blink when the doors are unlocked with the doors closed? How about with the door open? And are you sure it's coming from the door, and not from the driver's footwell? If it only blinks with the doors closed and locked, it's probably a security device.

9. Lilytoes

Lilytoes New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well, exactly. I didn't want to believe this, but my significant other says it sounds likely. Its just too coincidental. The carfax shows me the original dealer it was first bought at by the original owner. Perhaps I could call them to see if they do this first. If they didn't do it, then Mazda definitely did it. Original owner has already said it wasn't him.

10. Lilytoes

Lilytoes New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi Dan. Its definitely not a bluish tent, but a bright neon blue flasher - as intense as Christmas light blue. The entire car glows bright blue when its activated in the middle of the night. It looks like a police car. What's more fascinating, its not activated every night. Only some nights and at certain hours of the night. This truly indicates that me that it must be activated.

11. Lilytoes

Lilytoes New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi Burrito,
    It doesn't blink when the doors are unlocked and closed. Read my above reply to Dan for further details. It only blinks at certain hours of the night when its locked, keys are far away inside of the house. It doesn't do it during the day, say if I go to the grocery store and lock it and leave. Its so bright that I suspect it would be easy to see in daylight. As noted to Dan, it seems to be activated at random times of the night. Usually in the middle of the night. Last night - nothing. The night before, hours between midnight - morning. Always locked at night. Totally bizarre and seems to have to be "activated" to blink. The thing is, if its a security device - I still want it removed. Mazda won't admit to installing it, but my gut is telling me they did. My concern is that it does more than just work security - it could have a tracker or array of spying stuff in it. The fact that they broke the window on the side it blinks just before we came to pick it up (purchased over the phone/online and worked out financing in advance), is just too weird. They're waiting on a window replacement which is backordered, so I'm driving around with a cracked window.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If it were my car I would already have been into that door myself in person and taken the thing out. As I said, those trim panels are usually pretty straightforward to remove. If it is acting a bit like a tracker, I would not be very patient about getting it out.

I once had an engine replaced in the car I was driving at the time, when I lived in a fairly high car-theft area. I'd had the car for eight years since it was new and the only issues I'd had were some breakins and stuff taken from it, and I sort of figured I was past the peak risk for outright theft. But when I needed the engine, I looked for a shop with a good price for the engine and the job (maybe 1st mistake), and I didn't check their references much (maybe 2nd mistake), and end of story, not long after they swapped engines for me (I also celebrated with a nice paint job), the whole car got boosted and police found the sheet metal and carpet 3 days later.

I won't be able to prove this, but according to my acting theory, that shop keeps a high profit margin on engine swaps by installing each engine multiple times. They of course knew where I parked from my address on the work order, and the next time they had a customer needing that engine, they just sent somebody 'round to pick it up again.

13. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    If you have not looked into the door cavity, then you are making a lot of assumptions without a foundation. I can't figure out what path a beam of light can take to get from inside the door to illuminate the inside of the car. The trim panel is solid and opaque. Between the trim panel and the sheetmetal door is a white plastic barrier, also pretty much opaque. The window, when rolled up, has a metal bracket along the bottom that will block light. The only way light would get out of the door would be through the speaker grill IF the speaker was removed. You would have noticed and said something about that.

This brings us to the conclusion that it would have to be a deliberate installation intended for illumination in order for a bright blue light to light up the car from inside the door. Maybe a kid owned the car and had a light kit installed to make it look fancy as he cruised main street.

I doubt that the dealer's mechanic would open the door to fix something and leave behind a tracker installed by the company. Those things are not free.

14. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have to find where the light is coming from. Until then, everything is speculation.

Even if it is something benign, it's an increased parasitic load on your 12V battery. We already have enough to worry about regarding our batteries, there's no need to have additional drain. It'll end up failing earlier.

15. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bet it is a Karr alarm module mounted on the bottom of the dash, near the driver's footwell. There's a blue LED on the module.

In that location, it is possible that it can appear to be the driver's door being illuminated, but I don't know why the OP thinks it is coming from "inside" the door.

https://priuschat.com/index.php?posts/1993276

To the OP, get down into the driver's side footwell and look at the underside of the dash, above the parking brake, but below where your dash illumination dimmer switch is. Is there a gray plastic box or rectangle with a blue LED screwed into the outside of the panel?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

privilege and FuelMiser like this.
  16. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like this:[​IMG]

privilege and FuelMiser like this.
  17. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  18. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bet the op was eaten by the mysterious blue blinky thing.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The OP is now secretly circulating among us to spread the blue blinky th

20. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model: