1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange Traction Control Behavior/activations

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Marco Morel, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Marco Morel

Marco Morel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The Traction light is the only light that's Amber and flashes in a very rapid fashion. No other light on the Prius works in that way. So in your peripheral vision it's very easy to distinguish. There was no turn signal so I assumed he was going to continue straight not be pretty much stopped at the bottom of the hill. Your obviously just here to be annoying rather than helping. I would like to see you behind the wheel when someone catches you by surprise at the bottom of a very steep hill. Braking downhill is very challenging for any vehicle but like I said if my brakes hadn't disengaged like they did I would have had PLENTY of space but because the brakes let go and I gained speed and still on the decline of the hill when the brakes re-engaged the car had a hard time stopping again.
    Please if your just going to keep this up then don't waste your time or energy. You weren't in the vehicle with me therefore have no grounds to comment on my driving or what I should or haven't done.
    Have a nice day!!

Prius from Dad and bisco like this.
  2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You obviously know NOTHING ABOUT ME.

Like for instance, the one and only moving accident that I have ever had was a "rear ender" caused by me following too close........in 1965.
    Some people learn from their mistakes and some like to get defensive and make excuses and argue when good advice is offered.

YOU need to work on being able to tell the difference.
    Good luck.

3. Marco Morel

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Obviously I don't know anything about you. I DONT EVEN KNOW YOU

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You may want to work on forum etiquette and not raise the anger level so quickly (especially on a new member). Remember what you said when I did the same to you? How it made you feel? Yeah ... that’s what other people’s reactions are to yours. :)

jerrymildred and Prius from Dad like this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sam's right about the following distance. But when I rear ended someone, the trooper who gave me the ticket was a whole lot nicer about it. They won't care why you hit that car, so make sure you allow for surprises.

6. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I made a polite, casual suggestion.
    I can not control other people's reactions........or OVER-reactions.
    You are, in effect, shooting the messenger when the message is good and well intended.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That explains it. We're just working from different definitions of polite.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That may be, but you do realise that capitalisation on a forum board is the equivalent of shouting. If you want to emphasis, use bold face.

Also

*cannot
    *overreaction

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't disagree with that. I would wager that the majority of rear-enders could've been avoided just by leaving more space. In today's world with more vehicles crowding the road, it's harder to leave the distance in cities (but there's no reason on the highway... unless you're in California or on the NJ Turnpike or similarly crowded highway). Combine that with driver inattentiveness and the number of rear enders will keep increasing (just saw one the other day... on an uphill stretch! I mean.. come on! Gravity is already working against you). Luckily where I am, the person in the rear is automatically at fault unless proven otherwise (e.g. the guy in front of you reversed into you and you have witnesses or a dashcam or the black box of one of the cars to show that the rear car was stationary).

I have zero at-fault claims and zero tickets. I only have one claim cause I was at the entrance of an intersection in a residential area waiting for an opposing car to pass me by and someone turned left into me. How is that even possible? He must've only looked right and also did not come to a complete stop before proceeding)

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I worry that typographical guidelines can only go so far. A nice refined bold font with graceful serifs could still be wielded pretty inconsiderately, were a writer so inclined.

jerrymildred and Tideland Prius like this.
  11. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Are you going to be the grammar and style police for every post.....or just mine ?
    And if that was your intent, my spell checker flagged "realise" and "capitalisation" in your post.
    Can we just chill please ?

12. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

I once nearly ran over a child - their body would have been badly damaged, hitting a square-edged late 1980s Nissan at 50km/h. Looking in my rear-view mirror, they were playing 'chicken', hiding behind a parked truck, and running out (the challenge being to run as late as you dare, so the oncoming car gets v. close but doesn't hit you). I didn't even have time to apply the brakes! The unexpected does happen - however, I would have to drive at 5km/h, and stop at each parked car in the city, checking someone isn't about to jump out on purpose, in order to avoid that risk - any other way, I am driving too fast).

The Prius 'control' system is badly programmed in my Gen 2. My Nissan Leaf has proper traction control, and ABS, also my 200SX, and the many different work cars in the work car pool I drive. The Prius 'lets go' of the brakes and cuts the regen at the slightest slip of the front wheels. I accelerated from 30-35mph once, down a steep hill, because I was braking on the way down, and the 'control' activated on a tiny twig on the road. (note - it may be badly programed if it was meant to be 'ABS' or 'TC' (or electronic stability control), but it might be protecting the HSD in some way, and thus may not be badly programmed).

The take-home message is : If driving certain cars with a tendency to do this kind of behaviour, driver further back than you would appear to need to in any other car - but it is not your fault for being surprised by this particular odd behaviour!

13. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

This is exactly what I do; on my Gen 2, the re-gen is cut back to the 'simulated engine braking' only, and if I keep the brake applied lightly, it can stay in this mode for tens of seconds. Even releasing the brake and reapplying doesn't reset the regen unless you can release for a few seconds. I brake before and after anything that could trigger the control system, because otherwise I lose a lot of useful regen!

Bob Comer likes this.
  14. Marco Morel

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So it's been awhile since I last updated on what had been happening, as the temperature has been dropping here in Iowa it seems the problem is getting much worse but instead of letting go of the brakes, it slams them at full force for a second then resumes normal operation. My dealership says they may have to call a mechanic from corporate Toyota to look at the car, I have since switched back to my 2010 and am currently awaiting to see what Toyota has to say about the issue. I will update with whatever Toyota says to hopefully help any other Prime owners with the issue, although I hope no one else is having this issue cause it is extremely scary when the car begins slamming its brakes on the highway when you lightly tap them to slow down a little bit

15. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Very strange! Just tapping the brakes makes it go into hard braking for short time? I can't imagine what would cause that unless your brakes are really grabby for some reason and your regen isn't working quite right. I can't fathom cold making it worse either. Maybe a sensor or cpu failure, but I haven't a clue..

Yes, that sounds scary, and I can definitely say my car doesn't do that.

16. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Why?

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This. What's happening at this stage is not that it's giving you ABS or TC, but that it is preemptively switching from two-wheel to four-wheel braking so that it will be able to give you ABS or TC if needed in the near future. It's doing a thing the 200SX and most other vehicles in the work pool don't ever have to do, because they don't have a mode where the braking uses only the wheels that steer.

It's not doing that to protect the HSD but to protect you. Really, you want it to switch from two to four wheels at the first hint of a sign that road grip could be hinky. Alternatively, it could be programmed to wait until unmistakably past the point of losing control, and then try to regain it, but that really wouldn't be better (even if it would sound a little bit like our current strategy on climate).

Now the Leaf, it presumably does have a two-wheel regen mode, and also switch from that to four wheels when circumstances warrant, and if Nissan found a way to make that switch less obtrusive, well, that could give Toyota something to strive for. But the comparison to other conventional cars is apple/orange, because it's doing something the conventional cars never have to do.

landspeed and vvillovv like this.