1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strut Mounts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Graz, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello Prius Chat!

I have an '05 with 137k miles. It has some wear. But I am overall very happy with it. I have been told that I have a strut mount broken or needing replaced on the right front. I need a little advice.

The dealer quoted me over $1k to replace the front struts and mounts. I sincerely doubt all of this has to be done. I do think that the right front strut mount may be the only thing needing replaced. I plan on getting it up on a lift to confirm at a local suspension shop. Soon.

I think that it could easily be much cheaper to fix. Especially if it is just a strut mount. While I agree that struts should never be individually replaced. I doubt that all of these parts are bad. There is no problem with alignment. That has been recently checked. (These cars never need to be aligned!)

So my questions are this. Of the four items. Front struts and strut mounts. Is is common for one to fail? At under 140k? If it is a strut. Do the mounts need to be changed too? How about the struts in the rear? If I am doing this. Should I consider the rear pair too.

I recognise that this is a lot of stupid questions. Thanks for your patience.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you feel 140k miles is not many miles?

It is reasonable to think both your front struts and rear shocks are worn after that many miles. You should definitely replace the front struts first, inspect the rear and see if they require replacement too. If you do both at once, it can easily run close to or over $1000 for parts and labor at a mechanic or suspension shop

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What were the circumstances prompting you to be told about a broken strut mount? Did you notice a problem with the suspension?

It would be reasonable to replace the front struts and strut mounts after 90K miles or less. The rear shocks also are likely candidates for replacement.

I've posted on how to replace the front struts and rear shocks in the 2G Care, Maint and Troubleshooting forum, demonstrating my personal belief that periodic replacement of those components is reasonable and appropriate.

The repair decision partially depends upon what condition you prefer to keep your car in. If you had not noticed ride issues and don't mind driving a car with worn suspension parts, then you can defer the repair. That would not be my personal choice but I don't have to ride in your car or fund its repairs, so you need to decide what works for you.

A good idea to obtain a second opinion and repair price quote from a specialty shop. The $1K price quote for the front struts and mounts is typical for a Toyota dealer.

#3 Patrick Wong, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    Yakoma likes this.
  4. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if the strut mount is bad, it would be genuinely stupid not to replace the strut while the car is apart. you have to take the spring and mount off the strut to replace the mount anyway, and with over 100k that strut is worn unless its already been replaced once. if you know a trustworthy competent independent shop, they should be able to beat the dealers price.

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If these are still the original struts, replace them all.
    Read my front (post #48) and rear (post #3) replacement to convince your self it is time. After this maintenance experience, I'm a firm believer in the strut maker's claim of 5year/50,000mile limit to maintain optimum suspension; the degradation is so slow, you will likely not know/feel it.

When replacing the rears, clean the HV battery fan since you'll have access to it; you'll be amazed at how much dust is collected between the blades.

Total cost of parts for a complete front strut and rear shock replacement: ~$319 (KYB stuff came from Amazon. Toyota parts Camelback online).
    KYB front strut, $41 left, $53 right
    KYB front strut mount, $48 each
    KYB rear shocks, $58 each
    KYB rear bellow (didn't need; discovered after the rear shock off the car), $6used, $10new
    KYB rear mount kit, $6used, $9new
    Toy font upper dust seal, $4.56/ea
    Toy front upper insulator (big rubber boot; must get as the old one will be trash), $16.15/ea
    Toy front lower insulator (just get, even though yours will probably appear in great shape; maybe old part will fall apart in 20k miles?), $10.57/ea
    Toy rear upper insulator (just get, even though yours will probably appear in great shape; maybe old part will fall apart in 20k miles?), $9.62/ea

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think your right on the money about the 50,000 miles. Im on 80,000 miles bought new but the dealer replaced the struts at 30,000 under warranty as they were leaking a little oil. So at 50,000 I'm feeling alot of rumbling and booming sounds up front. Ok...maybe needs new tires. Bought new tires nice tires and still this hypersensitivity to the road surface I have never felt before. Just lots of noise. So feels like the struts are getting bad. And like you said it has come on gradually. So I thank you for the taking the time to list the KYB's.

How did they come out and did they make the front end quieter?

7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    5 year/50,000 mile is what the shock/strut makers always say (Monroe, KYB). I always thought it was a marketing hype, to get the owner to change parts unnecessarily early. Just like some oil change places/service centeres still push 3months/3,000 mile oil change intervals today.

Only when I compressed the old struts and shocks, then timed the very slow rebound, have I come to appreciate the 5year/50,000mile change recommendation. KYB's website does a good job of explaining this and the rational for it.
    KYB Americas | When to Replace Shocks

Happy with the outcome, as the car feels "tighter." Sure beats dealer labor price of $800 (low end), to $1,000 (higher end), for all 4. Never recalled any excessive or unusual noise. Never saw "hop scotch marks/cupping," on the tires, which is a tell-tale sign of a worn strut/shock. This is what blew me away, as I had really worn struts/shocks, but no cupping marks on the tires.

As you know, a worn strut/shock smooths the rebound of the spring, and helps to keep the tire on the ground at all times. You have probably seen cars on the freeway, where one or both wheels on the same axel, "hopscotch," due to a failed strut/shock. Now I know better: hopscotch marks may be absent for a failed strut/shock.