1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sudden drop in mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by momto4girls, Jun 17, 2018.

1. momto4girls

momto4girls Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have owned a 2016 Prius for a year and a half. I have consistently gotten at least 58 mpg--sometimes as high as 61 mpg. This is a mix of around town and highway driving. The car has 26000 miles on it. I noticed last week that my mpg had dropped to 51. When I filled up the next time, I reset the computer. Now I'm averaging 49 mpg. Nothing about my driving habits has changed. What could be causing this?
    Edit to add: I'm going by what the car displays in real time. This isn't a number I came up with manually--although I should do that. I'm sure it's more accurate.

#1 momto4girls, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There was a thread recently on this - it could be worth perusing it:
    Sudden drop in life-of-vehicle mileage | PriusChat

3. momto4girls

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. I think his issue is a little different than mine.

He says, "Hi everyone: It is the average mileage over 7000 miles that changed suddenly, from about 53 to about 50. I've tried to be really clear about this."

My situation is that my current tank of gas--current mpg has dropped significantly. I will read the whole thread though and see if anything my pertain to my situation.

4. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a possibility that either this tank or the last wasn't filled completely? I've occasionally had a pump which cut off early, really messing not just that tank's l/100km figure, but the next tank as well.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  5. momto4girls

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's not that. It definitely filled up. I'm not computing it manually. I'm going by what the display says.

6. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've not taken a lot of notice of the display - I compute each tank on a spreadsheet as well as in FUELLY. My early observations with the display was that it is optimistic, but between 4 and 10%. It's not a precision instrument - it does a computation of fuel flow, makes an assumption that the last fill was a full fill (to the first click-off of the pump as per the manual) - none of those figures are measured with great accuracy, but it does a reasonable job for what it does. A bit like most cars - I've not had on which doesn't read optimistically.

Do you reset TRIP A (or B) when you fill?

7. momto4girls

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not reset trip A or B when I fill up. I'll look in to that. I'm really new to all things hybrid. I haven't read my manual. I just get in and drive. lol

When I fill up, I go to the screen that shows all the recent trips. I reset that to start a new trip. But it's not the odometer--trip a or b.

RCO and Andyprius1 like this.
  8. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Manual is great - take it to bed to read - it'll have you asleep quickly :D. Seriously - it's not the best manual I've read, but has lots of useful information.

If you're using the digital display for fuel monitoring, probably the best way is to RESET Trip A (or B) when you refill. That way you can see a computed average for the current tank.

If you have this display upload_2018-6-17_16-7-6.png , it is just recording the economy for your current trip - since last time you started the car.

If you select TRIP A (or B) now, it will show you the car's average since they were reset. Similarly if you put it on ODO - that will be a lifetime fuel economy.

The other display you can put up is this one:
    upload_2018-6-17_16-8-24.png
    This was last year, the last time I photographed - and those l/100km are better than I normally get, was on a short 4 day trip.

Those 4 daily figures are a computed average of all the trips I did on those 4 days - and you can scroll down for a couple of months too.

RCO and momto4girls like this.
  9. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    There are many things that can affect fuel economy too. The weather in particular...

Temperature affects how hard the Aircon needs to work, how much drag you get from your open or closed windows, the viscosity of lubricants, the rolling resistance of your tyres, how long your engine needs to stay on at the start of your journey while it warms up. Wind speed will work for or against you, depending on its direction. Air pressure affects drag, cooling, and combustion. Humidity affects combustion.

It might be worth checking your tyre pressures, as if any are getting low that will impact fuel economy.

Pixel 2 ?

10. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    58 down to 49? I had it happen to me too. I never use that big screen. I only use the Trip-A odometer numbers. Much more simple, and real time.

#10 Starship16, Jun 17, 2018
    Scara36 and momto4girls like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably air conditioning. not knowing where you live, it could be hot, or not.

RCO likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just some "usual suspects":

1. Change in the nature of your trips? Factors like higher speed driving, excessive idling, short trips, stuff like that.

2. Increased use of of AC? (aforementioned by @bisco)

3. Recent maintenance?

If you're running higher tire pressures: dealership tend to drop them back to spec, unrequested. (Check pressures with the tires cold, see if they've changed.)

Oil change with heavier weight, and/or overfilled. (Overfill you can check, on the dipstick.)

Messed-up brake inspection resulting in brake drag. (Feel all wheels after a drive, see if any are unusually hot.)

4. Load change? For example, it used to be just you in the car, but you've started carpooling. Or transporting bricks for the patio, stuff like that.

HPrimeAdvanced and jerrymildred like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and previous to me 'the professor'.(y)

The Professor and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe the fob was left in the car before you bought it, so the health of the HV never was 100% Check the 12V and the HV. Anything else is supposition.

15. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I wonder if the computer has a glitch sometimes? Mine dropped by almost 10 mpg a few months ago. And now everything is back to normal. My AC is always on, to help cool the traction battery and ME, so it's not that.

I found that if I run the tank all the way down to just one blip remaining (drive 600 miles) then refil, my mpg number calculates to be higher than if I was to refil at half a tank. Weird. (I only look at the Trip A real-time numbers.) I also went back to Eco mode, and the numbers shot up.

#15 Starship16, Jun 17, 2018
    Andyprius1 likes this.
  16. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It does help a lot if we know your location. Personally I never worry about trip mileage, it’s too variable. Does the 2016 have lifetime average mpg? If so Keep in mind that that figure is really Mpge, it all is.

There is something like 18 different computers on board and it’s possible they are all attempting to reboot.

Just like our computers, they can all develop glitches and then mysteriously reboot to normal.

#16 Andyprius1, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2018
    Starship16 likes this.
  17. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes, the 2016 has a "lifetime" average mpg. Right there with the odometer. Somebody said it resets itself after 10,000 miles? I've reset it a few times manually when refueling, just to see what would happen. After a short time it jumps back up to the lifetime number... which is 57.6 for me.

I hand calculate my mpg numbers. The Trip-A display is off by about 3 or 4 mpg.

photo 2.JPG

#17 Starship16, Jun 17, 2018
  18. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Right now mine is at 160mpg. I’m not sure it makes sense to reset as it’s the most reliable figure.
    If you reset you’re starting all over again.

I rely on the computer and assume my hand calculate is erroneous. This is because, one can never fill the car the same. 1/10 of a gal, changes the math!

#18 Andyprius1, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2018
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've monitored hybrid battery temperatures, with and without AC, on a hot day, and saw little or no difference.

Constant AC use does impact mpg, 5~10 percent in my limited observation.

Also, constant AC use makes for a mold/mildew breeding ground. At the least, turn off AC (but keep the fan running) for the last 10 minutes or so of your journey, whenever practical.

I would argue for the opposite case. Any (slight) vagaries in the level of fullness at one refuelling, will virtually balance out with the next. The car's displays, otoh, are invariably optimistic, 7.5% in my third gen experience, and as far as I know, are lost if you ever disconnect the battery.

#19 Mendel Leisk, Jun 17, 2018
    RCO, alanclarkeau, krmcg and 2 others like this.
  20. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The gasoline gauge and float mechanism are extremely non-linear, they cannot be depended upon. It’s called a gauge so you can gauge what it’s doing. Otherwise it would be called an INSTRUMENT. If one were to compare a micrometer to a fuel gauge, the micrometer would win by a landslide.