1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tachometer installation option

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Riaz, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Riaz

Riaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a soft spot for conventional needle-type tachometers but couldn't find a whole lot online with respect to placement in a Prius where it would be easy to see while driving without taking your eyes completely off the road. This is what I came up with for my 06 JDM model:

IMG_0650.JPG IMG_0649.JPG

I used Hobbit's guide to locate the ignition feedback (IGF) signal from the engine ECM and it works great. RPM varies from 1000 (eg if the engine is charging the battery in park, as pictured) to about 5000 (if the pedal is floored while driving).

I love the way it looks and thought I'd share in case anyone else wants to add a touch of old skool (and some useful functionality) to their gen 2 Prius.

Justdidit likes this.
  2. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  3. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok I need some help on this, the thought of a tack and oilpressure and watter temperature, heck voltage has crossed my mind, and couter sinking some gauges in the pannel behind the steering wheel was in the plan, at some point I ran it with an obd tester pluged in and had on the main screen such data, even considered hacking up the tester and permanently wire it in, while the lcd screen would be installed in that pannel, I believe that's what you all accomplish with the scangauge, a cheap $40 tester could probably do the same, I wouldn;t know not familiar with the scangauge.
    I have also in the works an lpg system and part of the project is to tap into certain sensors, any good sources? wireing diagrams I could get my hands on? for example the rpm can be read off a coil or the Igf, I need to tap into several sensors, injectors etc, I could do it right at the component but I wonder if there are better locations for a cleaner install such as at a main harness plug where most these signals would be, if any can point me in a good direction i apreciate it

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All you need is to get one or two Scan Gauges. They can be programmed to monitor those and O so many more. You can Daisey chain Scan Gauges. Just use a short CAT-5 jumper. I run with two, no problems!
    There is a list of the PIDS you would want to monitor.
    Torque is also a good solution, I have a 7" tablet, 7 pages of gauges! The weak link in the chain is mounting the tablet with secure mounting, but a quick disconnect! Still working on that!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    ^Agree

Check out my ELM327 and Torque install: Modding My 2008 Touring...."JustDidIt" | Page 8 | PriusChat

[​IMG]

I may be looking into a larger display soon...just would require a custom mount.

Daves09prius likes this.
  6. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    as usual, I appreciate the link, I shall read up on it, however at the moment it's almost like you guys speak a foreign language, I thought those scan gauges were going for $200, 2 of them that's a decent chunk of change plus the 7 inch monitor,
    now I still have to figure out what a cat 5 jumper is, but my original question was rather different, to the best of my knowledge these plug in to the obd port, I think, for my project I have to solder into the oem harness several inputs, rpm is one, I can either pick it up off a coil or the IGF, I also need lambda probes, injectors and a few other sensors.
    Common practice from what I noticed the connection is made right at the component itself, which is fine and fairly easy to locate, however I will end up with wires running everywhere, sure I can tuck them and zip tie them and do the best I can with it, but I was hoping to come across some wiring diagrams or connector descriptions with pin#s ahd what they are for so that I can tap it all in one general area, makes a cleaner install.
    for example I need to tap into the injectors, I can do it right at the injectors themselves, or at a main plug to the injector harness, or probably right at the ecm if I knew which wire is which, I could probably tap the o2 sensors there too, coolant, etc, and I would not have wires running throughout the engine bay picking up signals.
    If any of you have such diagrams or conector descriptions or you know where I could find them I would appreciate if you pointed me to them.
    George

7. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

They do use the OBDII port...and the dual scan gauge would be quite a chunk of change. Thats why I choose the $24 ELM device. The Torque app is only $5.

Cat 5 jumper - i presume is a standard Ethernet cord used for networking PCs unless Pat (KK6PD) meant a Ethernet crossover cord which looks the same but is wired differently. Usually used when networking 2 pc's without a router but rather directly as u might the two Scanguages.

I would love to have a ECU pinout diagram - but I think those are widely kept secret. I want the same ECU pinout so I can wire in a Piggy Back EMC or Standalone EMC for when I do my Yaris Cam swap which will take my Atkinson cycle engine and convert it to an Otto Cycle type. Hobbit's techie-rants has a TON of good info but I haven't located the ECU pinout yet. I'm even looking on some Asian share sites - I may locate a Toyota repair manual that has the Pin outs...but haven't yet. Taping into the ECU will give you the most clean install vs running wires everywhere.

-Jeremy

8. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  9. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll have a look at the links, some wires I have to run regardless as for example the ones for the new components, just the inputs I hope to get away with, I did the ev mode, somebody figured out that pin, and now I hear about the rpm pin, I'll dig arround see what I come up with, other forums I belong to ( 1 for each car and I have a few, plus some odd interests ) someone had a factory repair manual or some dealer books on pdf with everything you want to know.
    Why on earth would you want to fudge with that engine, for what it is it's state of the art, so you're going to get a few horses, but you are defying the point, our prius is just as peppy up to 30 as the wifes old chevy, and it's mostly that electric torque at 0 rpm I'm sure, couple things I was considering whenever I have time:
    I wonder how much different the new block is and weather a gen III watter pump might fit, if not a racing pump rig something up and do away with the belt that would free up a couple horses
    I read about larger inverters, wonder if a genIII tranny or mg might be swapable, I believe you can acomplish better results this way and still keep the 50mpg that makes the prius.
    someebody mentioned the v final gearing, not sure how that would work since the motor does not have a direct link to the ground like traditional transmissions, but in theory should put a little extra torque to the gound.
    gas is $4 now and propane I can get for $2.50 that should bring me up to a 70 - 80 mpge, and what I like about it you can fine tune the gas map manualy, bet there are a few geeks that thought about cracking the oem computer, get where I am going with this?, If you got the resources, you can look into LPI as in liquid injection, it's kindof like running nitrous all the time if done right, I could not source a system ( trade only ) and they are kindof in theyr infancy.
    I seen those turbo pics you posted did not have a chance to look into it further, but the thought of a turbo LPI setup has been on my mind for a long time and not to hyjack but a boost gauge would look good somewhere on there, with the high propane octane, the akinson compression/expansion difference, this looks to me like the perfect turbo.

10. Riaz

Riaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]

Haha...old school indeed!

11. Riaz

Riaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II

That Torque app looks pretty neat and could probably be a good troubleshooting tool if there are performance issues...has anyone had any success with a similar app for iphone? Thanks.

12. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

Seek and you shall find... Guess what I just found... Maybe someone can 'sticky' this document so others can find it easily.

Attached Files:

glyndwr, 2007blueprius and KK6PD like this.
  13. Riaz

Riaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great find! Thanks for posting.

14. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    YOU ARE SOMETHING ELSE, I'll have to go through it see what I come up with, I may be able to install my lpg ecm right next to all those other computers and tap it right there
    where did you find this I need to look into it further, for example this is what I am up against, manual says:
    TYPE OF REVOLUTION SIGNAL

It sets up the control unit for reading the rev signal through the BROWN2 wire:

STANDARD: select this option when the BROWN2 wire is connected to one of these signals:

- rev counter wire with 0 ÷ 12 V square wave signal;

- negative coil.

WEAK SIGNAL: select this option when the BROWN2 wire is connected to one of these signals:

- rev counter wire with 0 ÷ 5 V square wave signal;

- static ignition control with 0 ÷ 5 V square wave signal;

These signals can be identified only by using an oscilloscope.

your piout list is very valuable however the info I was looking for says see page 117 or something, was hoping I could figure out some of that without having to find a shop with an oscilloscope since I don't own one

15. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes I heard about that, thou I did use the full 4 at the time and it was right up to the full mark after the filter filled up, I am not extremely concerned about the lost mpg, just something I noticed, if anything I don't care to overfill any motor as to not cause foaming

16. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm not completely sure what you asking? Is there a specific part/ecm that your trying to work with? If you give me a little more detail of the issue, I can try to find the diagnostic manual.

17. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    on the fuel management system for propane you have to select which kind of rev signal you wired it to, as in standard or weak, I believe I read something about in in the link from the original old school tack, on the pdf you posted it has a column for working voltage, when it comes to the rev signal it says see page 177 or something, I wanted the page where you found the pdf, see what else is on there, looks like the pdf you posted is a few pages of a larger manual.

18. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Unfortunately those hyperlinks don't work anymore so I will have to look and see if I can find it. Have you started a new thread for your propane install so we don't clutter up this thread?

19. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes I have, sorry should have asked there, still some of this is still valuable here since we're only talking rev counters ( DIFFERENT APLICATION THAT'S ALL )

20. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    True... :) Can you link ur thread?