1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tail Light Won't Turn Off

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ItsAQuark, Aug 9, 2017.

1. ItsAQuark

ItsAQuark New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Last night I noticed that my tail light (red lights in the back located on either side of the car) aren't turning off after I lock the cars (via the remote lock or the key sensing lock). If I come back 30 minutes later, the lights turn dim and start flickering. If I engage the car (lock, unlock, etc.) the lights light up again.

Anyone else experience something similar?

According to the manual, it's the side marker light.

Other observations:
    -When I put the trunk lock button, you can see the light turn off as I depress the lock button. When I release the lock button, the lights come up again.

-When I depress the brake, the red lights all light up brighter as expected.

-When I turn the light switch from Auto or DRL to either of the lights on position, the same red light brightens. When I switch back to Auto or DRL off, the red light dims but is still on.

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    How strange. The Electrical Wiring Diagram for the Prius Prime (EM32D0U, available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com) shows that the tail lights are switched by a TAIL relay in the Instrument Panel Junction Block Assembly; when the relay is open, there shouldn’t be any voltage applied to the circuit. I don’t see any provision for dimming at all.

The load side of the TAIL relay is connected to selected front and rear exterior lights (but not to the stop lights) and to numerous devices for instrument panel illumination. Perhaps the tail lights are being back fed somehow, or there is a fault in the wiring.

If the car is under warranty and you can reproduce the problem, I’d suggest taking it to a dealer for diagnosis—you might be able to find the problem using a multimeter, the EWD, and some troubleshooting skills, but this won’t fix it, and if you were to break a wire or damage a connector, it could be an expensive repair.

Prodigyplace and jerrymildred like this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Should be under warranty.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  4. ItsAQuark

ItsAQuark New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The issue stopped in about a day. It started happening right after I got my car back from tinting, and I think they ran the 12V battery a little low. At least that's what the error code said regarding the check engine light.

It hasn't happened since then.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Seems like that happens a lot at those tinting places. I guess one should request they listen to their own radio while working.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hours of the car sitting with doors and trunk open with interior lights on. The small 12v auxiliary battery in the Prius is easily discharged under those conditions.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That reminds me. I forgot to re-enable the dome light on my wife's car after replacing her hatch push button. Oops!! :D

xliderider likes this.
  8. LewisPP20

LewisPP20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Glad a read your post. I had my windows tinted today and the same thing occurred on my PP2020 tonight. Hoping it will resolve by itself!

9. Rock le

Rock le New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had the same problems after getting my tires changed at Costco. Taillights won't turn off, causes the batteries to drain and check hybrid system alarm. I took it to the dealership. Paid 780 for diagnosis only. They wanted me to pay 4000 for parts and 3000 for 30 hours of labor. The problem was some corrosion in the junction connector by the passenger side to the main electrical harness. There's an easy way to fix it. Buy some gasoline, disposal electrical toothbrush, and a cup big enough to fit the center connector with the black tab. FIRST UNPLUG THE ORANGE SAFETY PLUG ON HYBRID BATTERIES AND UNPLUG THE MAIN 12 VOLT BATTERY. there's a live wire connected to the harness. Then remove the cover by the front passenger side by unscrewing the plastic knob located in the back of the side panel then pull it off to expose the main electrical junction box. At the very center there's the connector with a black tab that locks the connector into place. You will need a flat screwdriver to unlock the locking mechanism by pushing it down. Then pull the black tab out and up as it will arc and rotate out and up. Poor gasoline into the cup and dip the connector into the cup to dissolve the corrosion. Turn on the toothbrush and place it in the cup to agitate the gasoline and connector for ten minutes. Then use the toothbrush to clean the hole where the pins go into. Make sure all the corrosion color blue is remove. VERY IMPORTANT. MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS DRY BEFORE YOU REPLUG. I used a blow-dryer to speed up the process. Then replug the connector back by placing the connector into place and push down and in on the black tab. It will click if you put it back in place correctly. Then replug the 12 VOLT BATTERY and the orange safety clip. DON'T FORGET TO SIDE TO THE RIGHT TO ENGAGED THE SWITCH. Good luck

Attached Files: