1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Tesla quality

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Lee Jay, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    But with minimum 450 mile range and the ability to fill up anywhere in 2-3 minutes, range isn't an issue.

I've got another trip planned that looks like it would be really hard in a Tesla.

Here's the situation. I have a meeting from 7-9:30pm on March 3rd in Arvada, Colorado, and a business meeting at 8:30am on March 4th in Alamosa, Colorado (it's a 4 hour, 250 mile drive). My plan is to go home after the first meeting, sleep most of the night, get up at 4am, and leave at 4:30am for Alamosa. Once there, I'm staying at a hotel that doesn't have a charger (because it has a meeting room for our meeting). The two hotels that do have chargers only have wall-outlets anyway. Once the meeting is over, I plan to drive home.

How would you do that trip in a Tesla?

2. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I know you'll have a rebuttal against, so it's pointless posting this....but....maybe the Poncha Springs Supercharger?

salyavin and Prodigyplace like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just checking in, has the argument devolved from quality to, 'bev doesn't work for me'?

or was that the plan all along?

salyavin, 3PriusMike, hill and 3 others like this.
  4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What does this have to do with your claim Tesla is cheating when they post a range based on 100% charge?
    It is no different than when ICE car companies post a tank range. That assumes driving until the engine starves of fuel. Like Tesla with charging to 100%, they recommend against doing so, but people are free to do so. They just have it easier to do than charging a Tesla to 100%.

6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Try to follow along. ALL convention car companies determine range the same way. Only Tesla, of the EV-makers, posts a range this way. So it's not apples-to-apples. If everyone else starts doing it, then it's apples-to-apples. If Tesla stops doing it, it's apples-to-apples.

7. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    not sure why I didn't ignore this clown a long time ago

3PriusMike, Trollbait and austingreen like this.
  8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps because he provides such obvious and easily refuted 'special pleadings.'
    Lee_010.jpg
    The longest leg,143 miles to Boulder SuperCharger, I would use the Poncha Supercharger on the return trip. This would be a trivial trip . . . or would you like to include a home city/town?

As for Alamosa, there are two: (1) First Southwest Bank, and; (2) Kiva apartments and Southside Rental & Storage. You of course are welcome to ignore these EVSE stations.

Bob Wilson

#128 bwilson4web, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    DavidA and salyavin like this.
  9. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    One of the roads on that trip was closed today due to the snow storm. That method would take an extra 1:45 (1:16 for charging and 30 minutes extra for the long route) even if the roads were stellar (which they almost never are in the winter), meaning I'd have to leave at 2:45am or earlier instead of 4:30am, and there's a good likelihood I'd never get there if there was a storm as there was today. Storm or no storm, I'm taking I-25 to Walsenburg and then West over La Veta pass to Alamosa because those roads are better and better-maintained in the winter by orders of magnitude. I've done the route you suggest in the summer and that can be a pain even then due to narrow roads, steep hills, and many small towns.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Oh, so you move the goal posts? Well two can play that game.

That road has been cleared and you're stuck taking the proposed route. Or would you like to claim "special pleadings?"

Bob Wilson

DavidA, salyavin, 3PriusMike and 4 others like this.
  11. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This is exactly my problem with EVs as they are today - they force me to take routes I don't want to take, spend nights where I don't want to, or spend extra days or time on a trip when there's no need (sometimes several extra days). With my PHEV, I can go where I want, when I want, with not a worry in the world about where or when to get energy, and still do 99% of my day-to-day driving on electricity.

I might take 285 on a summer day, but never in the winter. I've been on it too many times, and so I know better.

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The EV makers are all posting range the same way; miles on a maximum allowed charge. The regulations aren't dictating what that maximum amount is, and the others are free to allow higher. Some even might have in the past, or made it easy to charge to a lower level like Tesla does.

Not all conventional car companies determine the range the same way. Well, they use tank capacity times fuel economy, but the listed tank capacity might include the unusable portion below the fuel pump pick up.
    "Furthermore, the rated capacity may include only the usable portion of the fuel tank or it may include both the usable and unusable portions."

Understanding Fuel Tank Capacity

salyavin and iplug like this.
  13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No problem as you deal with your requirements and this retired engineer and family, theirs.

Bob Wilson

14. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm reminded of those 1000s of lines of code for those edge cases you spoke of....

Meaning you've just admitted that 99% of the time an EV would work for you....

moto g(7) power ?

salyavin likes this.
  15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    there IS no convincing anyone who is self convinced their expertise in most knowable things outweighs all others. In such cases, the controversy is raised for the primary purpose of disproving inquiry. It's also known as leading with your chin. Suggestion; simply congratulate such folk on their superior brilliance & wiser transportation choices.

16. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congratulations! You Win!

You've discovered that EVs are a hoax because it is possible to make up a trip that makes it inconvenient for you.
    You and the others that are in this exclusive 1% club (aka edge-casers) are hereby exempt from buying EVs.

Mike

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    For grins, I remapped the trip for a Std. Rng. Plus Model 3:
    Lee_020.jpg
    • Need to overlap L2 charging in Alamosa with trip meeting(s)
      • Alamosa-to-Poncha Springs would need ~3 hrs on the Alamosa L2 chargers
      • Alamosa-to-Colorado Springs would need ~5 hrs on the Alamosa L2 chargers
    • A +300 mi, long-range Model 3 or Model Y would shorten or skip L2 charging
      • Std. Rng. Plus Model 3 adds 31 mi/hr
      • Long Rng Model 3 and Model Y adds 40 mi/hr
    • Not shown are multiple L2 "bail-out" chargers along either route
    Depending on weather take the Colorado Springs or Poncha Springs route.

Bob Wilson

#137 bwilson4web, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  18. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    One day I went to find a spot to add more headlights to my Ford Econoline. Inspecting the front of the van, I came to realize that the headlights also served as the bumpers - the driver sat completely above the official bumper and nothing else but some sheet metal was between you and passing trees. Later I found out that starting the year after mine Ford had completely redesigned the front of the Econoline for better front end accident performance.

I found the problem in about 15 minutes. It took Ford an entire model year. It kind of crystallized my opinion of them...

19. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I can't make the choice for you nor make the case for you. Those are yours to make. I can describe my situation and my experiences and if they help you that is great. But if they don't fit you, that is yours to determine.

What I also can do is not keep insisting that my use case is the only one or that my edge case is even the only one that should control your decision.

I was just on another forum where an ICE/hybrid owner had a probable relay failure on a car where the emergency brake is electrically applied. With no power, he was wondering how the car could get towed (manual gives no guidance). Does that mean no-one should buy such a car? Edge case (probably part failure of relay due to extreme cold and moisture, known fix available).

Not sure if I should progress beyond a Model A given the complexity of modern systems. Yea, drove to school in one of those during high school. Simple, crude. Defroster, who needs one.

I will say that in the last 12 years I had one case where my needs didn't fit the vehicles I had available. I rented one that did for $50 a day. The rest of the time I benefited by not having that vehicle to drive and having the ones I did have.

hill and Trollbait like this.
  20. salyavin

salyavin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I find most Tesla owners have a Chademo adapter if he wanted to leave Alamosa sooner on the Colorado Springs route there are DCFC they could use in Pueblo (three of them). The adapter is limited to 50kw so it tends to get in the 40s. EA Chademo is capable of 80s if your car can take it (they enabled it some months back after testing). So they only need to l2 charge in Alamosa enough to make it to Pueblo and can get more to get to the supercharger safely from there. The Buena Visa Chademo (which he has no need for with the supercharger) is an impressively expensive one I have so far managed to avoid. I sometimes like to go to that area for the Great Sand Dunes so I would welcome a fast charger out there.

bwilson4web likes this.