1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

the problem of swelling and placement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mehmet alb, Jul 31, 2022.

1. Mehmet alb

Mehmet alb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    there was a slight opening when charging the batteries in the picture, I think the batteries swelled a little. will these batteries be used again? I could not place 28 batteries, 27 of batteries them were able to wart. I need to do. many thanks for the information.

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think they are a goner. are you torquing the bus bars? you cannot source good modules?

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The HV battery needs to be compressed before charging, or installation.

How many milliamps are you using to charge the battery?

Mehmet alb likes this.
  4. Mehmet alb

Mehmet alb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I charged it for five minutes with 11 volts. Five of them slightly swelled. I measured it with the cable, it was 8.34 amps. Is it reused?

5. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  6. Mehmet alb

Mehmet alb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    How will the following text be applied? can you explain step by step? thanks
    Please add these genII hv blower control codes to your pid list.
    Codesdes tested on torque app 1.8.22 should be good for all versions.

"Set Battery Cooling Fan Speed 1","SFS1","30810001","A","0","0","No reply req'd","7E3"
    "Set Battery Cooling Fan Speed 2","SFS2","30810002","A","0","0","No reply req'd","7E3"
    "Set Battery Cooling Fan Speed 3","SFS3","30810003","A","0","0","No reply req'd","7E3"
    "Set Battery Cooling Fan Speed 4","SFS4","30810004","A","0","0","No reply req'd","7E3"
    "Set Battery Cooling Fan Speed 5","SFS5","30810005","A","0","0","No reply req'd","7E3"
    "Set Battery Cooling Fan Speed 6 (max.)","SFS6","30810006","A","0","0","No reply req'd","7E3"

Note prius hv cooling fan is variable speed.
    Hv cooling fan gets one extra volt of electricity per 10 mph road speed increase (approximate).
    Setting cooling fan speed via scanguage or torque app puts a fixed non-variable voltage on the blower motor.

A scan/torq setting of 3 provides excellant battery cooling up to a road speed of approximately 45 mph.
    This setting of 3 inhibbits the fan speed at road speeds above 45mph.
    Better said normal prius fan cooling control (variable speed) runs blower faster at 45mph than the scan/torq setting of 3.

But normal prius fan control tries to run hv blower (stealth mode unheard by driver) just below road noise and undetectable.

Thus batteries get cooled best at hiway speeds under normal prius variable blower control.
    Or cooled very well with scan/torq setting 4 (fixed voltage) up to road speeds around 60 mph.

Note there is no blower code for fan off (speed 0). I found speed 0 causes fan control relay to cycle off and on while scrolling through pid list ( when add new gauge) . Fan speed 0 should also be removed from genIII list. As is causes unnessary wear and tear on blower control relay.

7. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use two of these, 13 dollars each, harbor freight.
    (These are also known as furniture clamps for building cabinets, since you are in turkey with no HF nearby)

In a pinch, small cargo straps with the winch on them can be used

36 in. Aluminum Bar Clamp

Modules should be discharged to 7.1 volts before installing to minimize swelling

Once the clamp is in place, you can use a screw driver to help get each module in place to line up the bolt that holds the module to the pack.

Those modules could be just fine, discharge them, install and clamp them correctly, and go from there

clamp.jpg

#7 tracy ing, Aug 2, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    Mehmet alb likes this.
  8. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    torque pro prius fan pid site priuschat.com - Google Search

Mehmet alb likes this.
  9. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If they were discharged, this level of charge is no issue, however, if they were CHARGED or even partially charged and had really low Ah capacity to begin with (because they needed discharge/charge conditioning cycling), then this is a problem.

In the end, they should never be charged unless clamped and compressed.

10. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure if you've found the below post already : decoding hv battery pack sn for date | Page 2 | PriusChat

From the start page, hit the "gear" in the lower left corner, then 'Settings', then 'Manage extra PIDS/Sensors', then upper right find the three downward dots (pull down menu), select "Add custom PID", then enter the following in the spaces provided and without the " "

OBD2 Mode and PID : 30810006
    Long name (used in menus) : "Set Battery Cooling Fan Speed 6 (max.)"
    Short name (used in displays) : "SFS6"
    Minimum value : 0.0
    Maximum value : 0.0
    Scale factor : x1
    Unit type : "No reply req'd"
    Equation : A
    OBD Header to use : 7E3
    Diagnostic start command : [left blank]
    Diagnostic stop command : [left blank]
    Overrides PID : [menu selection], Does not override and PID

Once you've entered the above, either hit "Test" to see if it works (take around 10 seconds for the fan to receive the command and spin up), or hit OK to save it. Once saved you have to add a widget to your display, find the "set battery cooling fan speed" in you list of PIDS, you should be able to use any gauge type display (pick the smallest as there is no feedback).
    Torque is constantly overriding the fan settings, for the fan override PID to work it needs to be on a page that is continuously being displayed (can be with other gauges, and doesn't need to be alone), if you switch to another page that doesn't have the fan override PID displayed the fan will revert to the normal preprogrammed settings.

If you can find the text file for Torque you can enter one or all of the strings below, but I only ever use Speed 6 (max) setting.

"Set Battery Cooling Fan Speed 1","SFS1","30810001","A","0","0","No reply req'd","7E3"
    "Set Battery Cooling Fan Speed 2","SFS2","30810002","A","0","0","No reply req'd","7E3"
    "Set Battery Cooling Fan Speed 3","SFS3","30810003","A","0","0","No reply req'd","7E3"
    "Set Battery Cooling Fan Speed 4","SFS4","30810004","A","0","0","No reply req'd","7E3"
    "Set Battery Cooling Fan Speed 5","SFS5","30810005","A","0","0","No reply req'd","7E3"
    "Set Battery Cooling Fan Speed 6 (max.)","SFS6","30810006","A","0","0","No reply req'd","7E3"

Read the links below for more info.

alftoy likes this.
  11. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    and clean your fan

11.jpg

12.jpg

SFO likes this.
  12. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What do you mean you "charged them with 11 volts"?
    A car battery charger is a constant voltage type charger and isn't meant to be used with NiMH batteries.
    You need to use something like a hobby charger that uses constant current charging.

13. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used a constant volt 12 volt car charger for years they work just fine, I set it at 6 amps and let it run, there is no difference in how they work versus my X1 Pro, except it is automatic and with the car charger I become the brain in operations using a meter.
    The X1 will sense end of charge and stop, the vector will keep going well past the close to 9 volts eoc to 13 volts and beyond, so YOU HAVE TO MONITOR it and watch for end of charge on the meter

Some of us got a lot of experience in these batteries working them that way lol

The only reason I ever even shopped for an automatic charger was to free me up from having to get to the battery in 45 minutes and start watching it. convenience

Vector VEC1086B
    also sold as black and decker
    bd.jpg
    bd2.jpg

#13 tracy ing, Aug 6, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  14. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just because something "works" doesn't mean it works well. Hobby chargers are cheaper and constant voltage on a NiMH NiCD battery can cause thermal runaway, leading to venting and possibly explosion.

15. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    lol thermal runaway and explosion, and hobby chargers are cheaper, wrong wrong and wrong

The 2005 prius outside my door here was reconditioned using a vector 12 volt car battery charger 7.5 years 138,375 miles ago. Proves it was the best way for me. (charger was 19.99, I bought 8 of them, LOWES, used them for bank charging lead)

#15 tracy ing, Aug 7, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2022