1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thoughts on Prius C Three tire dilemma

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by AlaskanSumo, Jun 13, 2015.

1. AlaskanSumo

AlaskanSumo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all, first post, so please be patient LOL. I have a 2013 Prius C Three. I'm still running the OEM 175/65R15 tires on two wheels (at 2-3 mm remaining tread) plus replacements on the other two wheels (at 8-9 mm remaining tread). All four wheels are stock. I'm looking to replace all four tires. I've done quite a bit of research on this site as well as Tire Rack, 1010tires, etc., to find the optimal replacements, but I'm paralyzed by the glut of options out there. So, I thought I'd throw this out to the PriusChat community for more knowledgeable analyses. Oh, and I live in Wasilla, Alaska, so good snow and - more importantly - ice performance is a must. Basically, I'm considering two scenarios:

1) Buy new all-season tires that maximize fuel efficiency while still providing good snow and ice performance (if such a tire even exists); or

2) Buy a set of dedicated (probably studded) snow tires as well as a set of dedicated summer tires, along with a new set of wheels. In this scenario, I could run either the studded snow tires or the summer tires on the 15" stock wheels (whichever is more beneficial), and run the other set on the new wheels. I am open to getting 15", 16", or 17" wheels for the second set of tires (again, whichever is most advantageous in terms of fuel efficiency balanced against overall performance/comfort/etc.), but would like to stay as close to Plus Zero as possible unless there are clear advantages in straying from that.

Scenario 2 is obviously more expensive, but I would happily go that route if I could get high performance on snow and ice (balanced against fuel consumption considerations) in the winter and an optimal balance of performance/ride comfort/noise reduction/excellent fuel efficiency during the summer months.

Sorry for the long post, but I want to give you all the information I can. Based on the above, what is the best all-season tire to get (scenario 1) or the best winter tire, summer tire, and wheel combination to get (scenario 2). Recommendations for specific brands/models of tires and (especially) wheels would be greatly appreciated, as I still know just the tip of the iceberg about this subject despite my research.

Sincerest thanks for your insights!

2. Krazysztof

Krazysztof New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I would go with Option 2. It's more expensive but it can potentially save your life, and it will make your ride better.
    During the winter months I'd go with these on steelies, no need to worry about fuel efficiency more than traction, as crashing into a tree and dying in the cold is much worse than a few dollars in gas. I'd recommend the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 or 8. They cost a lot but can save your life, it's not somewhere you want to skimp, especially if there is a bad winter.

For summer tires there's countless options to throw on the stock rims. Do you want performance or mileage or life? I can't pick for you, but think first what your priority is, there are tires that get more mileage at the expense of stopping distance, and tires with better traction that cost mileage due to friction. If you want a long life tire to save on that expense, you'll sacrifice in traction or mileage, or pay out the nose for some magical tire, such as the tweel.

AlaskanSumo likes this.
  3. NDcowPoke

NDcowPoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'm buying a set of Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus tomorrow. Many places are discounting the Ecopia EP422 since the Plus supersedes it. I'm also buy new wheels but haven't decided which ones. I also decided against dedicated snow tires as I live 6 blocks from work and if it's really bad I just walk instead of clearing a path for the car out of the garage and deicing it. If I had a long commute or was driving on the Interstate I would definite go for the winter/snow tires.

AlaskanSumo likes this.
  4. AlaskanSumo

AlaskanSumo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    NDCowPoke, thanks for the comment. Glad you have a 6-block commute to work. Wish I did! Unfortunately, I'm 45 minutes to an hour each way on Alaskan highway and roads, none of which can be salted because doing so brings the moose out onto the road system. Based on your and Krazysztof's comments, the dedicated winter set is clearly the best option for me, cost notwithstanding. Thanks again for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Thanks for the comments, Krazysztof. Yes, I've seen the Hakkapeliittas up here so I know they're available. So you think I'd be better off putting the winter tires on the new wheels and the summer tires on the stock wheels, huh? Do you have any specific recommendations for wheels? As I said, I know little to nothing about this stuff.

As for summer tires, I think my main focus would be fuel efficiency. Of course, I'd love minimal road noise and tires that would last forever, but I got the Prius specifically to save fuel on my commute so I think that's where I'd like to focus, especially if I'm going to be losing that big-time during the winter months.

Thanks again for the insights. I sincerely appreciate your help.

#4 AlaskanSumo, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2015
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Yaris rims are the same (I think?) and they are $50 on eBay; probably priced similar at local junk yard. Then again you can get relatively nice alum hoops for less then $100 on tirerack.But Aluminum + salt = bad combo.

here is discussion on rims/wheels: Prius c Steel Wheel Specs | PriusChat
    Yaris rims: 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 Toyota Yaris Wheel Rim 15 inch Steel | eBay

Just beware that you loose TPMS on one of the sets, or you'll have to buy set of sensors (they are ~$30/pop) and reprogramming tool (~$150).

For Option #1:
    If you go with single tire, for where you live I'd go with Nokian WRG2/WRG3. WRG comes in 175/65R15.
    Alternatively eNTYRE would be better for summer and step down for winter, longer life, but it does not come in 175/65R15. 185/60R15 will work if you replacing all 4. eNTYRE btw beat many dedicated (non-studded) winter tires. Nokians are good on rolling resistance and in snow.

Nokian WRG3 - The best all weather tires for northern conditions / Nokian Tires
    Nokian eNTYRE 2.0 - The Nokian eNTYRE 2.0, specifically designed for North America, is designed to give drivers the ultimate in driving safety, comfort and performance in an environmentally friendly tire. / Nokian Tires
    Dealer locator / Nokian Tires

6. AlaskanSumo

AlaskanSumo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Cyclopathic, thanks very much for the reply. I'd completely forgotten about the TPMS issue, but I guess if I'm going to throw down for new wheels and alternating tires, I might as well pony up for the new TPMS too. Would I have to do the reprogramming with the reprogramming tool myself or is that something a tire installer (or the wheel vendor) could do for me?

I'll check out the steel wheel links you provided. Thank you for those. Do you have any specific recommendations for good wheels? Also, would you put the winter tires on the stock 15" wheels and the summer tires on the new wheels, or vice versa? If you'd put the summer tires on the new wheels, what size wheels world you go with? Are there any advantages to going with a larger wheel than 15"?

Do you agree with the recommendation of Hakkapeliittas for a winter tire or world you go with something else? What summer tire do you recommend to maximize fuel efficiency? Minimizing road noise would be my second most important consideration, but fuel is definitely first.

Sorry for all the follow-up questions, but I'm a novice at this stuff and only have the cash to do this right the very first time.

Thanks,

Gerard

Cyclopathic, thanks very much for the reply. I'd completely forgotten about the TPMS issue, but I guess if I'm going to throw down for new wheels and alternating tires, I might as well pony up for the new TPMS too. Would I have to do the reprogramming with the reprogramming tool myself or is that something a tire installer (or the wheel vendor) could do for me?

I'll check out the steel wheel links you provided. Thank you for those. Do you have any specific recommendations for good wheels? Also, would you put the winter tires on the stock 15" wheels and the summer tires on the new wheels, or vice versa? If you'd put the summer tires on the new wheels, what size wheels world you go with? Are there any advantages to going with a larger wheel than 15"?

Do you agree with the recommendation of Hakkapeliittas for a winter tire or world you go with something else? What summer tire do you recommend to maximize fuel efficiency? Minimizing road noise would be my second most important consideration, but fuel is definitely first.

Sorry for all the follow-up questions, but I'm a novice at this stuff and only have the cash to do this right the very first time.

Thanks,

Gerard

#6 AlaskanSumo, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2015
  7. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sumo,

here is a similar discussion in this thread: thinking ahead to winter (wheels and tires) | Page 2 | PriusChat, including getting cheap replacement rims ($45 on Amazon).

Basically if you wanna 2 sets of wheels have following choices. Cheapest: ignore TPMS warning light and get cheap steel rims ($45 per rim). Get nicer Aluminum for summer ($75 to "sky is the limit" per rim, TireRack, Amazon, etc) and address TPMS.

With TPMS you have 2 options get EZ-sensor (~$50ea) and pay once to have TPMS codes duplicated (~$300 option). Or get cheaper non-programmable sensors ($30-35ea) and get reprogramming tool ($150).. basically the same $300 option. With non-programmable sensors you will need to re-write codes every time you replace wheels. On plus side when you have ATEQ QuckSet if your TPMS sensor breaks you are only $30 away from fixing it.

Though it is not fun to partially dismount tire and replace sensor, but they do break or rather can be broken by dumb tire installer. That had happened to me, and by the time TPMS stopped working it was too late to go and complain. BUT my tires come from TireRack, so I cannot get lifetime coverage for installation. If you are buying Nokians and they give you lifetime that maybe not an issue for you.

It also depends on how much you like to tinker with cars, and it would worth while to get a quote on EZ-sensors from your Nokian dealer. Perhaps it is more or less than $300, so it would make choice easy.

Where I live winter is not an issue. We had a couple bad snow storms this winter, and I drove 200mi/7hr in "Snowgeddon" on stock tires with only getting pushed up one hill, but it is more of exception. Snow storm like that happened 2nd time in last 25 years. Normally if snow comes you just stay home, and if you don't feel like shoveling it will melt in 3 days :) And though they are illegal in our state I have a set of Z-chains if we ever need it.

#7 cyclopathic, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    AlaskanSumo likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd avoid extra TPMS sensors on the snow tire set, if possible. In Canada that's still legal, and will hopefully stay that way. In the States it's not legal for a tire shop to send you on your way without functional TPMS, but abiding by that law is an expensive proposition. And to continue to have the sensors operate on both sets of tires requires (expensive) visit to dealership with EVERY subsequent tire swap, or investment in esoteric equipment.

In a nutshell, Toyota hasn't made it easy for you to use two sets of wheels.

Also, studs on snow tires are a waning concept, really not necessary, and illegal in some areas.

AlaskanSumo likes this.
  9. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can always go with Nokian WRG3, they are not snow tires but they darn good. They do come in stock 175/65R15.

WRG3 is "improved" WRG2, and the only bad thing about WRG2 is that they wore out quickly in warmer climate, which is not an issue for Alaska. That and carry set of chains.

AlaskanSumo likes this.
  10. AlaskanSumo

AlaskanSumo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Funny you responded, Mendel Liesk, as I was just reading your post about the exact same thing on another thread that Cyclopathic had kindly referenced for me (thinking ahead to winter (wheels and tires) | PriusChat).

I think it's pretty clear at this point that I definitely want to use dedicated snow tires in the winter, but it seems like it might just be less hassle to swap them off on the same wheels twice per year (at $120 - $150/year in total) rather than trying to deal with all the multi-wheel hassle, especially given the TPMS crap. I would probably be willing to go the new wheel + TPMS route if I could actually swap the tires each time myself in my garage and have the car recognize them, but it appears that that isn't the case and I'd have to make a trip to the dealership anyway or mess with software. Not sure it's worth it.

Anyway, I need good fuel efficient tires in the summer, so should I just invest in some Michelin Energy Savers for summer/fall or is there a more efficient option out there?

As winter approaches, I guess I'll bite the bullet and buy some Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8's and get them studded (still legal here and makes a huge difference on our icy roads). Any snow tires you would recommend in lieu of those? I know the Nokians are pricy...

Thanks again to both you and Cyclopathic for your responses. Much appreciated!

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We're using Michelin X-Ice2, it'd be mark 3 available now tho. They are very quiet and steady on bare roads. Which is the vast majority of our winter driving: unlike the interior or east coast, we've been getting next to no snow.

God I wouldn't entertain swapping tires on the OEM rims. It's pretty sad if TPMS has driven owners to that. Rough on the rims, tires, your wallet.

To my mind the simple solution would be to get them mounted on compatible steel rims sans TPMS, by hook or by crook. Very frustrating situation in the States right now, needs some compromise.

AlaskanSumo likes this.
  12. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Reviews: Best Snow Tires | Top 7 Snow Tire Reviews

AlaskanSumo and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. AlaskanSumo

AlaskanSumo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Cyclopathic. I did see many positive posts and reviews about the X-Ice 3, but I believe that's a non-studded tire. I may go that route, but haven't fully decided yet. If I do opt for studs, do you have any recommendations for the best studded winter tire? Would it be the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8? I know Nokian's cost a shit-ton of money, but I commute about 50 miles each way to work on highway and road that is not salted and can be very slick and icy - and is that way for probably 7 to 8 months of the year - so I'd consider paying a premium if the additional performance is truly there. (I know wear and tear could be an issue for such a long tour of duty, too, but there's really nothing I can do about that aspect of the situation besides buy new tires as needed.)

Thoughts? Thanks as always for the advice. Truly appreciated.

14. AlaskanSumo

AlaskanSumo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Ah, Mendel...I begrudgingly yield to the validity of your point about the wear and tear on the wheels. Ugh. I dread the thought of dealing with the TPMS issue. That said, if I'm unable to get snow tires on wheels without TPMS ("by hook or by crook" ;) would I be correct in thinking that I could order 4 of these (33000 TPMS Sensor - 315 MHz EZ-sensor, Programmable sensor,Schrader) at $48 apiece for my 2013 Prius C, then take them to the dealer (?) or a local tire shop and have them programmed to replicate the existing code on my Prius C and installed into new steel or aluminum wheels? [I'm not sure about the two options on the order page: "no programming" vs. "EZ Sensor Programming" and rubber vs. aluminum valve stems, but I guess I can figure those out in due course.]

If so, would I then have two truly swappable sets of tires that I could change in the comfort of my garage and have my car recognize whichever set is on without needing any additional coding/visits to the dealership?

Thanks as always for your insights. I am sincerely appreciative.

15. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not sure the difference btw Xi3 and Nokian is that big:
    $103.99 - Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 175/65R15 tires | Buy Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 tires at SimpleTire $104
    Michelin X-Ice Xi3 $97
    Here is review of Xi3:
    Tire Test Results : Studless Ice & Snow Winter Tires: Finding Which is Best When Winter Weather is at its Worst

It is a tough call whether or not to for studded. Where we live studs are illegal, and we don't have winter conditions to worry about, so my view is skewed. So for me choice would be btw X-ICE as winter only and WRG3 as all-year.

Beware that studded tires are noisy and they do not do well on pavement. Plus they usually don't last long. TireRack ran tests of studded vs studless on ice and they found that studless performed better:
    Ice Traction Testing: Studded vs. Studless

I don't think Toyota dealer would be of help, since what they do they re-write numbers in ECU. You need garage which has the compatible with EZ-sensor programming tool.

Not sure what they mean by programming, I would call. I suspect they can pre-program sensors, if you provide serial numbers off yours? Serial numbers are marked on TPMS sensor, so when you're taking your tires off, you can write them down. If you go with EZ sensor, mark every wheel so you can match the sensor # to wheel, in case if you end up needing to replace bent rim with one off winter tire.

OEM sensors are with AL and the difference btw rubber and AL that you can remove them with socket. Rubber ones are more likely to get damaged when moving from one rim to another.

AlaskanSumo likes this.