1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tint Kits

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by PixelRogue, Apr 7, 2021.

1. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    2012 PIP Gen 3

Considering getting a tint kit (precut for the Prius) and interested in the learning the experience of others who have installed? After installing, do you wish you just took to a shop? What brand/seller/store did you use? What type of film?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    SFO likes this.
  3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    See this thread: What did you do to ur Gen III Prius today???? | Page 933 | PriusChat
    Post # 18653
    I purchased from this seller on Ebay: PreCut Window Film for Toyota Prius 4DR Hatch 2010-2015 Any Tint Shade VLT | eBay

Also ask about the windshield strip, he sells that too. And ask him to cut out for the rear view mirror!
    Or you'll have to do that yourself, like I did.

I bought 42%. He shipped it pretty fast and was cut well.

Tell him "ASRDOGMAN" sent you. :)

Clean the windows REALLY well using micrfibor cloths, outside also and the surounding trim to keep the dirt and fur, if you have dogs, away. Clean Clean Clean! Keep everything clean!
    Use a razor blade on the inside, you'll be surprise what you'll scrap off!

I used "Gila" Window film application solution from lowe's. I already had some of it left over and some plastic tools from tinting the
    sliding glass doors, but also used old credit and gift cards. They work very well.

Make sure you us a lot of solution! Even when you are scraping to get all the solution from between the glass
    and tint, or you'll scratch it, like I did. You don't notice it so much from outside, but I see in while inside the car.
    "I" don't really care that much about it, it still keeps the sun from beating through.

And do it in a garage! Away from the wind.

See Post #18655 for cleaning off the rear defogger strips on the window. You don't HAVE to remove the trim,
    but it's easy enough to pop off and back on, and gives you more room to work.
    Clean it super clean! That way you won't have the bubbles you see on some back windows.
    Mine looks like it's part of the glass now. As it sits in the sun, it looks better. :)

Take your time, and line it up as close to purfect as your can while sliding it in place. AND DO NOT PULL IT OFF!!!!
    Once you put it down, leave it! Spray a LOT of solution on the glass and tint.
    I pulled up part of the defogger line, NOT SMART! But that line still works! But for some reason 2 others don't
    even though I didn't mess those up. But the window still clears. I rarely use it so no big deal.

The windshield was tricky. Lay in on the outside first so you can align it. Measure down so it's even at both ends.
    Mine is 2mm lower on one side. I don't notice it though, 2mm is not a lot.
    You can put a piece of blue painters tape or use a magic marker.

It was the trickest to work with because it kept falling down, you might need a friend to help hold it up until you
    can get enough of the solution out so it will stick. Clean the black bubbles around the rear view mirrow like you
    cleaned the back window.

It was the first time I did window tint on a car in 25 or 30 years and it turned out pretty good.
    It's not perfect, but close enough for ME.

And it was $200 I can spend on something else! :)

PS: Do I wish I had taken it somewhere to get it done? Not really.
    "IF" I had the extra money, and the time, it would have been easier.
    And I'm certain it would have looked better. Overall it wasn't that hard of a job.
    Didn't really take that long to do. My biggest mistake was trying to rush to get it done.
    I just keep thinking of the $200 I spent on something usefull!

PSS: Put a towel on the dash when/if you do the windshield, and across the
    radio/ac controls. You don't want to get the wet solution in those items.

#3 ASRDogman, Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Editorial: should there be an M in that name?

ASRDogman likes this.
  5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you!
    I am not responsible for my actions before 10 am EST! :whistle:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    6:38 here, sun just thinking about showing. :)

Steph1972 likes this.
  7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

8. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Not seeing what type of film that kit uses?

Speaking of which, anyone w/actual 'experience' having different types of film installed over the years? Are Lumar Ceramics, for example, worth the extra cost (is it that much different than other films) etc?

9. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have not idea. They worked for me. Easy enough for me. Cost me about $40-45, $200 less
    than having someone do it. I'm happy with that and satisfied with the looks.
    Call a professional Car Window Tint installer and ask them, they should be able to give you the details.

10. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Got everything.... install on one window (tester) was going smooth EXCEPT vertical air caps at bottom edge...or side edge...no matter what I do there are triangular air gaps at an edge....almost as if a heat gun is needed or something. Alignment seemed spot on....starting the squeegee at the center and working out ... nothing helping. These do not require shrinking right?

#10 PixelRogue, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  11. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't use a heat gun, because I didn't have one. But it might help.
    Try to be patient and spray the tint and work with a credit card, or similar. Do the best you can.
    If you have a hair dryer or heat gun try that. I know some of mine went away with time and the
    sun hitting it for a few weeks.

On the next one, make sure the door panel is clean because the tint rests on it and could be dirty.
    I aligned the top and sides of the window and worked my way down. Each window gets easier because
    you learn something with each one.

Don't give up though!

12. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "Got everything.... install on one window (tester) was going smooth EXCEPT vertical air caps at bottom edge...or side edge...no matter what I do there are triangular air gaps at an edge....almost as if a heat gun is needed or something. Alignment seemed spot on....starting the squeegee at the center and working out ... nothing helping. These do not require shrinking right?'

I am a stone-cold DIYer (for lo these 40-50 years), but I would gladly pay somebody who does window-tint all day every day just to avoid the grief of doing it for the first (and probably only) time......

13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    i ordered the laser pre cut tints on eBay for $29, not glad to pay $200 to hire out :ROFLMAO:

#13 Grit, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021