1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire rotation

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tips, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Tips

Tips Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Jacking procedures! Jack the rear first .Make sure both wheels are clear! Jack the front with the sill jack from under the rear seat. Take the front tire off then go too the back and remove the rear tire off the same side and rotate that side. Do the same on the other side!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Tips

Tips Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Jack the back at the center point. I forgot too mention this!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    rear retention adapter close up mating.JPG rear jacked up off ground.JPG I looked at the rear mid jacking point on the Gen 4, which the Prime is a variation. the jacking point is even narrower that the one on the Gen 3 Prius models.

I don't own a Prime, but I found the center rear jacking point were unstable and too high for the 1.5 ton Harbor Freight flat top aluminum racing jack that I regularly use. Having the car slip off the jack numerous times when using rubber or wood blocks, I developed a receiving plate that will not slip off the jacking tube riser that I made for that jack.

I believe the same could be made for the Prime or Gen 4. I've posted some pictures of mine. rear retention adapter close up docking.JPG The riser has a flat bottom plate, so that it could be turned over to raise the front two front tires off the pavement, when jacked at the front of the cross member.

#3 Georgina Rudkus, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Tips likes this.
  4. Tips

Tips Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Prius preferred tire rotation pattern.png You're very welcome.

Using the riser tube and the flat top racing jack and a pinch weld adapter, due to the stiffness of the chassis, you can raise the front wheel on one side high enough that it raises the rear wheel on the rear off the ground.

This way, you can switch the front and rear tires. Do this on one side and then again on the other. Then raise the front and switch the right front to the left and vise versa.

This does the rotation in the preferred rotation pattern for front wheel drive cars. I have posted a photo of this diagram.