1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tires always worn at 25-30K---any ideas??

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by DWW, Nov 8, 2018.

1. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Your belief in a 5PSI differential triggering TPMS warning is incorrect.

TPMS gets tirggered when ONE or a combination of tires falls below 25% of the manufactures cold tire pressure recommendation (or essentially when the reset button is hit, establishing a new "floor" for the cold PSI level). See attached DOT/NHTSA "Final Rule" for TPMS.
    "... TPMS must warn the driver when the pressure in any single tire or in each tire in any combination of tires, up to a total of four tires, has fallen to 25 percent or more below the vehicle manufacturerÂ’s recommended cold inflation pressure for the tires, or a minimum level of pressure specified in the standard, whichever pressure is higher."
    #PSI * .25 = 5PSI; #=20PSI
    For your 5PSI trigger and the reality of 25% TPMS threshold, the tires would have to be set to 20PSI and drop to 15PSI for a trigger.
    I generally keep my Gen2 tires at 40PSI (front)/38PSI (rear).
    40psi * .25 = 10PSI
    40PSI - 10PSI = 30PSI for the TPMS activation on the front tires.​
    38PSI * .25 = 9.5PSI
    38PSI - 9.5PSI = 28.5PSI for the TPMS activation on the rear tires​

Attached Files:

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A ginsu knife loyalist?

Did the differences in the two cars (1991 CRX HV vs 2018 Prius) might be the major contributing factor?
    1991 Honda CRX, curb weight 1967lbs
    2018 Toyota Prius Prime, curb weight 3365lbs or 3375lbs
    1) That's a huge weight difference!
    2) Higher PSI inflation will decrease rolling resistance. What did you keep the CRX tire inflation at?
    3) Minimizine UV exposure will help tires last. Maybe your CRX was always garaged at home and work?​

Do us a favor and report your wet road condition testing on a closed track after freshly applying your Super Armor All.
    1) Braking distance from 25MPH, 60MPH, and 80MPH?
    2) Emergency handling?
    3) Cornering ability?​

You are sold on the product, and it seems logic will loose. For arguments sake, don't you think if this product worked and was safe, the tire manufactures would be incorporating it into the tires to sell a SUPER LONG LIFE tire for even more money?

Alas, another future product warning and disclaimer for super Armor All: NOT TO BE APPLIED TO TIRE TREADS!

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's changed over the decades.
    Because I think tire manufacturers caught on, that they weren't doing their reputations any good, by providing "short term" OEM tires. People would talk them down, and always choose a different brand for replacement.

The last two new vehicles I have, Prius and Fit, the OEM tires have been MUCH better than OEM tires on vehicles I had in the 90's and even the eary 2000's.
    When I was younger, I had some OEM tires that I really had to immediately replace they were so bad.
    Now? I expect 2-3 years on OEM, or upwards of 30,000 miles.
    That's a lot more than I use to expect.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Kelly Springfield tires are the "value" brand wholly owned by Goodyear.

5. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You must have read my post way too fast because I never said TPMS uses a 5 psi differential. I said "For example if you want the warning to come on 5 psi higher than it currently does "

I was responding to your statement "The low tire pressure warning gets triggered too late IMO" and I was telling you how you can change that. Using your example where you set your front tires at 40 psi and the TPMS alert comes at 30 psi, if you think that is too low and you want the alert to come on at say 35 psi, then you inflate your tires to 45 psi, hit the reset button, then lower the pressure back down to 40 psi. 45 - 25% = 34 psi. If you want to do the math and set it to the exact psi go for it I was giving a simple method that will be close enough for most people.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. StevefromOhio

StevefromOhio Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Old Chinese proverb.....man who says it cannot be done must get out of way of those doing it.

No joke...Dangerous? Are you kidding? Really? You are amazing. I've run into people like you throughout my life and you can always tell the know it alls.....but you can't tell them much.

I've been doing this for a long time now.....never ever had the problem of sliding off rain soaked or even snowy roads. You really should get educated and learn from other people before you make really ignorant remarks. Now there is nothing wrong with being ignorant if you don't know that you are. But finding out that you are ignorant and not doing anything about it is stupid.....and stupidity you cannot fix.

Have a great day and enjoy the thought of me saving tons of cash while I slide off the road with dangerous tires coated with 303......

7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The ignore user feature of Prius Chat is your friend;).

Give it a shot(y).

8. StevefromOhio

StevefromOhio Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

9. StevefromOhio

StevefromOhio Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    No.....tires on my CRX were 70 series 13 inch tires and the weight of the car while lighter does not carry over to my brother's Toyota Tundra which has over 100K on his tires with 303 on them. I had a 2012 prius and coated those tires too......had over 160K miles on the tires and sold it. The tires looked and rode like new. Never ever had problems with rain or snow on any of the cars in my family that used 303. 303 does not tell people not to use the product on the tread. So there is my findings........I bet you still are not convinced....those convinced against their will are of that mindset still.

So don't do it....IDGAF.......do whatever you want. These chat rooms are full of acerbic old farts that just want to argue....Just wanted to pass along some information. Accept it or reject it.......I don't care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James1964 likes this.
  10. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks Kevin. I read the history of Kelly tires last night. They were the first and oldest tires In the US? Going back to the 1800s? Then GoodYear bought them in the 1990s. I only know one person with Kelly tires, on his Avalon.

11. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I Used to sell tires a long time ago - at that time, Kelly's were a great bargain. They were Goodyear quality at a discounted price. Not sure what is happening with them today.

Starship16 likes this.
  12. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Kevin, do you still have the OEM tires on your Prius? And are they Toyo? How are they doing.

13. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Let's try: You can't fix stupid.

If you put the stuff only on the sidewalls, it will have absolutely NO impact on the tread life.

If you put it on the actual tread.......then it makes them slick for a while......and then it wears off after only a few miles.......and then has absolutely NO impact on the tread life either.

If you think using stuff like that will extend your tread life, you are just being stupid.

And ranting about it just shows everybody else how stupid you actually ARE.

dubit, bat4255 and Starship16 like this.
  14. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sam the Man. Keep telling it like it is! (y)

Are you sure you weren't "Coast Cruiser" in a former life???! :LOL:

15. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes and yes. I have 35,000 miles and they appear to have about half of their life left (but the second half goes faster) I am pleased with their performance...

Starship16 likes this.
  16. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That's incredible. :) Tires must hate me. I have the worst luck with tires.

17. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    But, the video...

18. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I treat mine to 44 PSI - they really appreciate that...

Starship16 likes this.
  19. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm currently at 40 on all. At this point, I got nothing to lose. I guess I can try bumping them up again.

20. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If your do, wear a mouth piece...

bat4255 likes this.