1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota bought my sisters gen4 back

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by MrMagoo, May 1, 2017.

1. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One

Would just like to tell you about my sisters experience with her 3rd Prius- the gen4...

Toyota has finally decided to buy back my sisters gen4 2016 Prius. It all started with the replacement of the windshield. After the exchange, the head up did not show correct speed/trafficsigns, the speedcamera alert kept beeping like crazy without any cameras around, the cruise radar did not detect vehicles. After 6 visits to the dealer, they admitted they did not have any experience calibrating the cameras on the windshield after replacement. BUT the main reason they took it back, was because the accelerator syddenly stopped working. Both at constant speed and when starting up. After a lot of back and forth where they did not have ANY sollution to the problem, we told them that if they could give us a written statement that this car was safe to drive, and that Toyota was responsible if anything happened, we would trust them. And this is after also they admitted something was wrong. They would check it out with Toyota and get back to us. Three (!) weeks later the country manager called my sister and told her that Toyota would take the car back, give her a new one or give her a great deal on any other Toyota. This was the first person at Toyota who was actually a nice guy, and seemed to know what was he talking about. The rest was way under par. Too bad they gave her so incredebly bad service, se loves the Prius- this was her 3rd. Yesterday se bought a new Audi A3 e-tron hybrid.

All the best,
    M

2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds awful. You don't specify your country, but although your sister got a lemon after the windscreen repair at the dealership Toyota did eventually offer her a new replacement. That seems a very fair offer to me,so why change to an Audience A3e-tron?

3. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am guessing that MrMagoo is from Norway. Am I right?

MrMagoo and Prodigyplace like this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes, from Norway :)

Sorry, my bad- texting on cellphone, it was all written in a hurry.

The thing is that they did not have a sollution for any of the problems the first 5 months. Driving with a car that suddenly looses all power is dangerous. At least here in Norway, U can roll back into the deep fjords and quite often we have to get away from trolls.

To be serious, it was the entire package with horrible aftersales service, cheeky salespersonel treating my sis like a "little girl" that knew nothing about cars ( she's got a master in engineering, specializing in sub-sea- she knows how a car works...) In general, the complete lack of any customer service combined with a car with serious problems pushed her away from Toyota.

We were going to buy a new Lexus last year, but since my wife also has bad experience with another Toyota dealer in Oslo, we did not go for it- just bacause we did not want to put any more money into the Bauda Group, who has all the Toyota and Lexus dealerships here in the Oslo area. I think out next cars will be Toyota/Lexus - but we will be getting them elsewhere.

Guess we are just difficult ;)

Ps! Not a big fan of e-tron, but because it has this idiotic option that u can charge it and it ON PAPER does not pollute much, it gets away from the extreme taxes here in Norway. Extremely few people with plug-ins in Norway bother to charge them anyway, it's just to get a quick car for less money and get away from the taxes. It's quite stupid.

Hoddie, pjm877, RCO and 1 other person like this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I maintain that in the US and, apparently elsewhere, Toyota succeeds IN SPITE of their poor dealers. I believe Toyota could do much better if their dealers were halfway competent in servicing prospective customers.
    There are a select few excellent Toyota sales personnel. My salesman still drives his Gen 1 Prius, but he is 150 miles away. My local dealer is horrible.

Tande, RCO and MrMagoo like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought she wanted an ionique?

8. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    bisco:

No, she was impressed over it, but she- like me, was sceptical about driving a korean car.

RCO likes this.
  9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I read these, and often feel the OP has confused their dealer, or the distributor, with Toyota.

It would not surprise me if Toyota did not own a single repair or service center outside of Japan.

#9 JimboPalmer, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since they are officially representing Toyota to the customer, what's the difference? It is usually not like you can choose a dealer or distributor with better customer service, especially in a country with only one distributor, such as Norway.

RCO likes this.
  11. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    We have many cases where unscrupulous or incompetent dealers charged customers for repairs that were covered by the distributor's warranty. If you think of them all as Toyota, you are limiting your repair choices. My dealer sure has better customer service than many we hear of here on PriusChat, In the US I suspect dealer average about 20 miles apart, you certainly can choose not to deal with incompetence. In a long thin country like Norway, dealers may be less available.

12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The competent one I found for sales is 150 miles away. Yes I tried closer ones. So far, I am stuck with the local one for service in most cases.

RCO likes this.
  13. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a dealer I like for service 27 miles east and a dealer I disliked (not auto related) 53 miles north. There is a dealer 52 miles west I have not tried, but they seem to change names a lot! Looking on the web, there is a dealer I was unaware of 67 miles north east.

None of these are insurmountable distances.

RCO likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have never met a dealer i liked, either in sales, or service. but that may say more about me than them.

Hoddie, alanclarkeau and RCO like this.
  15. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's hoping I'm gonna be a lucky soab because my dealer was good for sales. Time will tell...

bisco likes this.
  16. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I reckon my best built car I've owned was KOREAN - a 2006 Kia, new RIO, first of their improved cars (platforms shared with Hyundai).

I leased it for 3 years, only car I've never had the slightest problem with, and the build was excellent, panel gaps FAR better than the 10 years newer PRIUS, or the 2 Euro FORDs I owned in between.

RCO likes this.
  17. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That would be like buying a laptop (Dell, Apple, whatever) from "Billy-Bob's Bait, Tackle, and Laptops" and when Billy or Bob can't fix your problem blaming Dell or Apple for poor customer service.

The problem is that I can't ship my car to Toyota's Japanese corporate headquarters and ask for some technical help, ever. So we can only deal with 3rd party sales dealers akin to Billy-Bob.

18. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    These kind of situations are really annoying, it ruins the Dealers reputation. I believe that the dealer can get Toyota to do many things, but they may have to plead ignorance. Should be nothing embarrassing about that, the company is the expert.

19. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sell me a lemon, then offer a discount on another car? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. You are only as good as the last car you sold me. If I have a problem getting you to fix or replace it then it will be the last car you sold me. (Not that Mary cares or Toyoda gives a crap as there are millions of other people on the planet who buy cars.)

I'm with Mr. Magoo & Sis on this one.

Andyprius1 and RCO like this.
  20. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm somewhat inverted on that. You are only as good as the car I'm in right now. There was no problem with the Prius itself. The dealership simply didn't properly install the new windshield, didn't recalibrate the camera, didn't recalibrate the radar, and then probably did a bunch of other dumb stuff to fix the original problem.

The car itself was fantastic, if the windshield had been replaced and the camera recalibrated at the same time OP would still be driving that Prius and satisfied with it, no problems.

Andyprius1 likes this.