1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota has been dragging their feet on new vehicle technology...

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Bill Norton, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  2. eroeder

eroeder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    EVs are not the future, they are a transition to something better with greater fuel density at an affordable cost down the road. Toyota is working that way balancing economic forces. Regardless, I love my PRIME.

#2 eroeder, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    will the engineer likes this.
  3. smyles

smyles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The title should be "Clever Toyota TV ad triggers Tesla fan boys"

#3 smyles, Jun 19, 2019
    Prashanta likes this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Science illiteracy is part of America's problem....that's why we like to fight so hard based on politics. The article tries to say science-educated people know EV is the future...in other words, ad honinem attack on non EV advocates.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The deal is there are some who are growing desperate to spin a narrative.

They see their own favorite approach failing and don't like to see the engineering hidden within vehicles Toyota has delivered.

Advancements like the heat-pump and carbon‐fiber provide a distinct edge that antagonists hope will not get noticed I'd there's enough rhetoric to confuse & distract.

Articles like this confirm Toyota is making others nervous.

#5 john1701a, Jun 19, 2019
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    last week, toyota said they were making a big investment in bev's

7. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Alright!
    One response that is not from a toyota apologist. bisco, can you find the link?!

I just can't believe that toyota is going to be the stick in the mud on this important subject.....

The rest of you, just keep telling yourselves that BEV's are not the Sustainable Future and there is nothing wrong with buying fossil fuels from OPEC. (And fighting wars for OPEC interests)
    Someday you might get to tell your grandkids which side you were on way back in 2019.:(
    What do you think they will be driving, (or riding in, I should say...)(y)

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That attempt at a narrative reinforces what has been pointed out about Toyota's advances. They are methodical steps to bring forward the entire fleet without disruption to dealer or consumer. Antagonists spin that as not taking risk... or in this case, calling it a stick in the mud... to portray the image of no progress.

It's all quite amusing, the story of the tortoise and the hare playing out before our eyes. That slow & steady is what wins. It's not a race to simply cross the finish line first. Winning is finding a way to bring forward the entire fleet. All the refinements we see with for PHEV is setting that stage for EV.

In other words, the rest of us aren't taking the bait.

#9 john1701a, Jun 19, 2019
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    china is the priority for everyone. i don't believe we'll see many bev models from any manufacturer in the u.s. for a long time. except tesla and except california

Prashanta likes this.
  11. smyles

smyles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Toyota fanboys vs. Tesla fanboy (and Wth he's still here?), round n+1.

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'd say the home teams have priority for Europe. VW is focusing there and China first. With cheaper fuel, and greater distances driven, they and others seem to think the US isn't worth their limited battery supplies at this time.

13. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would agree Toyota has been dragging their feet and been distracted from their core business model. In the past 5 years at the Toyota plant we worked at they were constantly bringing in Hyundai models to disassemble and study.

They would bring in Hyundai models for the employees to view and point out how we were being beat at the price point for the car and some of the technology aspects. They also warned us we were being passed up from a quality standpoint by some of the other automakers.

Recently they have begun investing heavily in our plant to catch up with the competition as to quality and car assembly cost.

The buzzword now is that we are to become a Mobility company that fulfills societies changing needs for different modes of transportation.

Toyota is a great, successful company that has their fingers in many pies. In Japan we got to tour a plant that was building Toyota modular homes for Japan. I say modular but they were permanent beautiful dwellings that would be shipped in parts and assembled on location. They also build plc's and have interest in robot manufacturers.

They have many business interest and coupled with their push for globalization of their car manufacturing arm they are stressing their resources. I am positive they will successfully navigate this challenge but I would agree Toyota took their eye off the ball and now has some serious catching up to do. I hope with their experience and customer first philosophy that they will not only catch up but pass the other manufacturers.

14. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Because that statement is largely false.
    As long as most of our electricity is still made by burning fossil fuels of some kind, we are gaining very little in "sustainability".

The availability of renewable energy must keep pace with the availability of devices (vehicles) to USE it.
    Right now, the energy supply is WAY behind.
    The only incentive that seems to work is COST.......and oil and coal is still cheap.

AND......some of the coal regulations are about to be relaxed again.
    NOT a good sign.

15. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Poke in your zip. Power Profiler | Energy and the Environment | US EPA

My area is currently at 32.6% renewables and 12.4 Nuclear,,, and rising everyday!!
    Every time I see windmill blades on trucks or trains I smile.
    And it will only get better!

What we need is a National Net Metering Law to really kick in home solar installations, and help clean up the nation.

Someday I hope to produce all my driving energy needs on my roof, and more.

You can't do that with a smelly gasser toyota.:cool:
    (No matter how much carbon fiber is in the ornamental trim or the minimal improvement in a heat pump HVAC system...):whistle:

bisco likes this.
  16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's refreshing to see how you work so desperately to avoid acknowledgement and minimize what Toyota is striving to deliver... well thought out solutions for the masses. 152 horsepower of EV propulsion from the traction-motor currently being used in Mirai is yet another example.

Too bad if you don't like the approach. A stack is a stack. Improvement to lithium chemistry will benefit every recipient. The cost simply isn't there yet, which is why limited rollout in the meantime is just fine. Rushing to market, like GM did, accomplished what?

mountaineer likes this.
  17. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    "Striving" is offering a 25 mi. PHEV with limited Thermal Management for the pack and limited EV HP.
    This may be a good solution for some who live in a forgiving environment, with limited EV needs.

A hydrogen powered EV is well thought out?
    Hydrogen is one of the most inefficient means to power an EV and currently 100% fossil fuel derived.
    No sustainability there.
    I won't comment on the dangerous and expensive tech involved.
    My home L2 is not dangerous.(y) The free L2 near my work place is inviting! (I like to say my car runs best on free electrons!)

What's a "stack"?
    (Are you ESL? Sometimes your sentences are hard to follow....)

So how many EV's are currently on the road (to sustainability) worldwide?

Are you saying all of those were "rushed to market"?
    Are they not great cars which can be powered from the owner's roof tops?
    Are you waiting for only toyota to find the light at the end of their tunnel, and they alone will unlock a new Li-ion breakthrough with their extensive battery chemistry labs throughout the world?

Just keep waiting and thinking only one car manufacturer has all the answers.
    And just keep buying OPEC products. The Saudis thank you, sir!:whistle:

Trollbait likes this.
  18. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    A small percentage of our oil comes from OPEC. Imports from OPEC - 46M barrels in Mar 2019, vs 164M from other sources. The US produced 370M barrels the same month.

19. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm curious... how do you define sustainability in anything as ephemeral as a car?

50 year parts & software support commitment? 100 years?

or are you settling for the same 12 years as the average gasser SUV?

20. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You're right!
    I should be saying "powering a car sustainably / carbon neutral" .