1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius 2007 (2ND Generation) Let's repair it together ABS VCS Brake RED TRIANGLE Engine Issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by JC Rodhry, Feb 19, 2020.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The blue text in post #17 links to older discussion on that topic that will be useful to you, which has further links to strongly recommended reading, the "Stitch in time" guide from the Megger people.

While it may be easy and cheap these days to click on an Amazon megger and get a box in the mail, don't let that lull you into treating it casually. It looks just as friendly and harmless as a multimeter, but isn't. I applaud you if you would like to obtain one and learn to use it on your car, but don't TL;DR yourself into an accident with it. Even if you like to skip background reading a lot of the time, this is worth an exception.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sometimes a module can be the source of insulation/isolation loss. The bottom the the Gen 2 module has one steel threaded insert. They are pressed into the plastic module housing during construction. Sometimes hairline cracks can develop in the plastic which will allow the insert to come in contact with electrolyte. This frequently leads to the stains/corrosion on the bottom half of the metal case. If the insert is in contact with electrolyte, even if not visible, the insert will bridge the gap between HV and car body.

You can check for this by removing the busbar assemblies and measuring voltage between each module terminal and the case (if modules are still attached to the case) or measure between the terminals and the steel insert. They should be 100% isolated from each other, so there should be no voltage present.

strawbrad and SFO like this.
  3. JC Rodhry

JC Rodhry New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    UPDATE: yesterday I drove the car from one side to another in Vegas (approx. 35 miles), no lights came out, today when I left home everything was fine, after 5 miles drive, The VCS, the Track, and the red lights came out.
    Also, I bought the merger which was suggested by ChapmanF, of course, I already got my robber insulated gloves to do this repair.
    Now that we know the code is P0AA6/526/612 it is easy to find out where the problem is coming from.

Do you know for any chance where can I find the 2007 Manual repair for this Prius, I feel sometimes Toyota might change a little bit the manuals because the improvements receiving each year are notable?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Elektroingenieur thoughtfully collected a lot of the information about that onto this wiki page.

JC Rodhry likes this.
  5. JC Rodhry

JC Rodhry New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

To be honest the squirrel cage fan for the HV battery, I did not clean it, the connectors I checked them out but not in details, I unplugged the connectors and I saw the pins but in details, since Monday the warning lights did not come out, until today. (only the red triangle, VCS and Track lights came out)

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pay attention to what @TMR-JWAP mentioned above in post #22 : Toyota Prius 2007 (2ND Generation) Let's repair it together ABS VCS Brake RED TRIANGLE Engine Issues | Page 2 | PriusChat

Regarding the Battery ECU and connector and potential corrosion, take a look at the images in the post below. Notice the corrosion inside the ECU connection point, and missing/corroded pin that is now stuck inside the harness connector : 2005 179km Wont go to Ready Mode | PriusChat

Either of the above could be far easier than following the workup for DTC P0AA6 posted above : Toyota Prius 2007 (2ND Generation) Let's repair it together ABS VCS Brake RED TRIANGLE Engine Issues | PriusChat

Not sure if these links would be useful for you :

Index of /Auto/Japan/Toyota/Prius

https://www.selidori.com/tech/scarica.php?id_doc=131

JC Rodhry likes this.