1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius 2nd Gen. - converted to LPG hybrid

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mandrei83, Jul 5, 2010.

?
  1. Yes

52.4%
  2. No

15.4%
  3. Why not something else? (PHEV, Solar and more)

15.4%
  4. I'm not sure if it worth the investment

24.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would do the typical arrangement that they recommend. Then use the smaller secondary battery on top of the current battery pack. End up losing the space right behind the seats. But the LI-ION pack I am looking at is really 2-40lb sections that can be removed when needed. Since the battery pack isn't needed it can be removed at will, whereas removing the LPG tank etc I wouldn't want to do that.

Also in my area, if you do an NGC you get to go in the HOV lanes, but the reduced range is the killer. Not even Plugin Hybrids can do that unless they have the long-range version, which means buying a car less than 3-4 years of age.

#241 lunacyworks, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  2. meeder

meeder Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is an example of a 66L LPG tank in a Prius III. It fits in the spare wheel well.

P1080286(1).jpg

For the Prius II they list 61L as the tank that wil fit.

lpg_tank.jpg

3. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, and no room for either batteries or the LPG tank.

What do you mean ROI on PHEV kit being 15k? What 15k km? Don't make me laugh.

4. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This thread speaks to the ROI on the LPG, so I won't comment on that part. I was speaking of the cost to add a PHEV. Which in my case has a ROI of around 15,000 miles. That, of course, is depending on what batteries you get and how you charge them. In my case, the charging cost are free up to about 20 miles of range. So in my case, a drive of 40 miles will take 20 miles of fuel and 20 miles of battery. In a day I can get 20 miles of charge from the company supplied charge at parking space. Back home I can charge in about the same time from surplus panels. So at 40mpg in 15k miles I will need 340 gallons of gas at $4 a gallon= $1500. With this setup, my battery and all electronics is running me $550 (not including custom charging port on side of car) will save me 1/2 the gas so I get to a break-even around 15k miles.

5. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is plenty of room to put the needed batteries on top.

The issue I have here is I am required to use one of the following setups to get certified (https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/altfuel/altfuelsys04.pdf) There are no qualified systems available.

Which according to the rules out here doesn't let you (as far as I know) get a Hybrid certified. Half the value of a conversion would be being able to get the tags to go in the HOV lane.

#245 lunacyworks, Oct 7, 2019
  6. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you saying that you can make a 20 mile range PHEV (blended in 40 miles) for $550?

7. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, that is my current cost for part of a damaged/used leaf battery pack (currently using for solar), a hack together Arduino with canbus, and controller for the power connecting to the existing pack. The Leaf pack was away cheaper and lighter option than using the other Prius battery packs I had gotten to refurbish mine original HV battery pack (those ran $200 & $500). I haven't figured out the charging and was using the Leaf BMS for balancing the packs so that will be added cost.

At this point, I am trying to figure out what is the best option for the next 50,000 mile on the car. While the leaf battery was convenient for solar, I have more options and space for solar batteries and thus use in the car may be a better option.

#247 lunacyworks, Oct 7, 2019
  8. Landon51

Landon51 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Isn't that what roof racks are for?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. Kzado

Kzado Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi guys,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post, but I am sure this is the right forum to ask, and thanks everyone for the high quality contents.

I have some concerns regarding one pipe that appeared or was changed after the LPG installation and I wonder if this is normal or poses some kind of risk, its regarding some coolant pipe that appears to have to rubber pipes one within another one:
    upload_2020-9-8_10-31-25.png

and it appears to be leaking a bit of coolant, no much, but with the severe winters that we have in Poland I don't know if it can get worst.

the overview of the pipe itself:
    upload_2020-9-8_10-33-21.png

I'm a fresh new member of priuschat and about 2y old prius owner, a gen 2005 +300k km, I'm Portuguese but living in Poland for 4y already, and I recently did (ordered) a LPG installation and I had some problems with it but changing spark plugs improved the situation and now potentially checking/changing coils should end the misery :)

I have driven 6000km since I got the LPG and besides some rough idle and some check engine from time to time, everything seems fine except some minor regulations on the LPG and potentially that coil.

Sadly I do not have the knowledge neither the tools so I have to rely on local mechanics (corner/neighbour workshop) good side of living in Poland that this things are relatively cheap.

All the autogas installation looks very clean and well done, just this pipe (on photos above) is kind of worrying me, does any of guys know if this can be a problem and if I should complain about it to the installer? And what is this pipe for?

Thanks for your help,
    Paulo

10. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's a throttle body heater hose. Hose is there from the factory but not like that. Perhaps they routed coolant to something? Maybe you could take a picture on where that hose is going. But anyways you should go back the place so that they could fix this coolant leak.

11. Kzado

Kzado Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Valde3, thanks for the precious info, it will be hard to photo of the "connectivity" of that hose, but I talked to the LPG installer and he explained/shown that the pipe now connects to the LPG reducer and the connector is larger, therefor using this "guma na guma" (rubber on rubber) yes the installer is Polish and only speaks Polish I myself speak very limited polish so it's always an adventure...

he just screwed a bit more the clamp and will search for a metallic reduction and split the hose.