1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction battery refreshing???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by alexeft, Sep 20, 2013.

1. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I own a 2004 prius at 135k miles. I have been noticing the following for the past year or so:
    After driving down a long slope, the battery becomes fully charged. I then drive solely on electricity but when it reaches 1 bar above middle, it starts the engine and, although the battery is being charged, it still displays that it's losing charge for some time. Sometimes it even reaches 2 bars on the MFD.

It didn't use to do that.

I'm thinking that maybe the traction battery is getting weak. Possibly, some cells have lost capacity which could be revived via balancing and charging-discharging as has been described in other threads. Perhaps refreshing it could lead to a longer life.

Otherwise, the cars drives nicely and is very economical. Nothing to report.

What do you people think?

2. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    You could get a ScanGauge to monitor the HV battery cell voltage to see if that is a problem. But if the car is showing no difference in MPG and no warning lights I would think there is nothing to be concerned about.

3. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have checked cell voltages and internal resistances and they are within limits.

I think I would have a CEL otherwise.

What I don't know is individual cell capacity remaining. As far as I understand, a cell can have different capacity from others while having the same voltage. This would lead to this cell being over or under charged and ultimately to cell failure.

For example, look at this post Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | Page 2 | PriusChat
    Notice how most cells regained their capacity which was lost initially!!! Also notice how they differ in capacity.

A proactive rebalancing perhaps could lead to longer battery life. Or so I think!:)

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am seriously considering doing this to my own battery at 100,000 miles.
    I have the ability and equipment to do this as a complete unit rather than individual modules without removal from the car.
    I will still be able to check the AH capacity of the complete battery both before and after the "balance charge". The charge would be done at a low rate to help overcome the problems of heat and pressure bulging.
    I can see no logical reason why "given the safeguards" on a working battery "no dead modules" that such a procedure would not improve the working capacity and possibly extend the life of said battery. This would reducing the risk of reverse charging cells with a lower charge level within the modules.

John (Britprius)

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Alex. You've nicely described exactly what myself and one or two others here have also noticed regarding an apparent anomaly in the way that SOC (state of charge) is displayed.

It is my belief that this is related to the loss of capacity of the traction battery and that this causes errors in the estimated SOC. I have documented my theory of what's happening here: Traction Battery SOC "Meta-States" | PriusChat

6. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How can this be done as a complete unit? I can't imagine a way.

7. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Well, here's your capacity loss Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | Page 2 | PriusChat ;)

I am certain this didn't happen overnight. It has been going on for a while!

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In the same manner as you do a single module.
    The difference being in the voltage required to charge the complete battery. A module has 6 cells in series, the battery has 168 cells, but still in series. This means you need a charging voltage of around 250 volts DC instead of 9 volts.
    The principle of controlled over charging the cells with a higher charge level to let those with a lower charge level catch up is exactly the same.
    Those cells with a full charge give off the over charge as heat "why things must be taken steadily" the cells not at full charge will continue to charge until they too become fully charged and start giving off heat.

The complete battery can then be discharged at a known rate "in the UK a 1kw heater rated at 230 volts will be very close to 4 amps" down to 168 volts measuring the time taken to calculate the AH capacity. This may not be perfectly accurate, but will give reasonably good comparison figures to show any improvements.

John (Britprius)

9. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, I also feel that module imbalance is the the most likely cause of this. Whatever the underlying cause of the loss of capacity, the following is what I believe is happening. After you've fully max'ed out the battery (8 green soc) then the battery controller is Coulomb counting down, thinking it has more capacity than it really has, until it suddenly notices a lower than expected voltage on one or more modules - which is when you suddenly start to get unexpected loss of SOC bars despite the engine running and the arrows on the display showing the battery charging.

BTW. Mine has been like this for over a year now, fortunately without any significant worsening of the condition. I've also been trying to figure out if it's worth the effort of pulling it down and re-balancing.

10. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Might be good. You might still need to balance the voltages by connecting all modules in parallel.

Which charger can charge at such high voltages and costant amps?

11. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, this must be the case.

Adding up the possible costs, it could save:
    - Gas
    - The need for a costly tow if the battery goes out on a long trip
    - Make less use of the engine, since the battery is in better condition
    - Eliminate the need to replace weak modules
    - Minimize wear on good modules

Its not little...

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am a retired electronics engineer so there are a number of ways to do this. The simplest "and the most dangerous" is just to rectify and smooth our mains supply since our rated voltage is 230 volts AC. This gives a DC output nearer 300 volts.
    Another way is to use a 12 volt DC to 230 volt AC inverter readily available here built into jump packs, and go through the same process as above. This was actually used on the first version of the Prius in Japan fitted in the trunk as standard equipment.
    There are many other ways to do this but everyone should be aware of the dangers of high voltage DC supplies. This is not for the untrained or unskilled.

John (Britprius)

13. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While all sounds good, there appears to be no method to control overdischarging which can permanently damage individual cells.

See here Nickel–metal hydride battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I only gave a brief summary of the basis of the method. The control of the system is comparatively easy. My last line does state "this is not for the untrained or unskilled".

John (Britprius)

15. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, but still, I don't think that overdischarging can be controlled, especially if there are big capacity differences between the modules.

16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you cannot control over discharge on 168 cells you cannot control over discharge on 6 cells where the difference will be exactly the same.

John (Britprius)

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Over discharging Nimh batteries is not a problem, it is reverse charging that does the damage.

John (Britprius)

18. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  19. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have a reference?

20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We are not talking about batteries with faulty modules we are talking about refreshing good working batteries. Read post 4.
    In use in the Prius a module with a cell with only 680 mAh would have given out a fault code for a faulty module pair. The Prius uses a battery capacity range of around 40%, 680 mAh represents only 10% of capacity and any cell with that capacity would be reverse charged in use. You can discharge a Nimh battery to zero volts without damage, it is reverse charging it that does the damage.

John (Britprius)