1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction battery repair / recondition with HA charger

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by smokeGTI, Dec 28, 2016.

1. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you ever disconnected the bus bar from the ECU? Many people just remove the bus bar from the modules without disconnecting the bus bar harness connector from the ECU. There might be corrosion inside that connection. Block 9 is not one of the typical locations where the corrosion occurs but it might have happened there with yours. Hope you track down your problem soon. I'd have given up and gotten another pack by now.

#21 jadziasman, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  2. smokeGTI

smokeGTI Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh dear, I didn't.
    But the first time I'm getting P0A80 was cause by the same Block #9 low.
    Anyway, looks like I can't avoid to open it up to check again.
    Thanks for the inputs.

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Visually inspect and aggressively probe/manipulate the wire, crimps, harness, harness pins, and leads.
    Test the wire for continuity.
    Test the wire for continuity while aggressively probing/manipulating it.

If you have proper protective equipment and take safety precautions you can try it while the car is live.
    Aggressively probing the wire with a nonconductive rod while watching to see if the voltage fluctuation on Techstream.

4. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The module count starts opposite the battery ECU. I suspect you have been counting from the ECU and have been replacing the wrong modules.

Brad

usnavystgc likes this.
  5. smokeGTI

smokeGTI Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    #25 smokeGTI, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <sad trombone plays> whaa, whaa, whaaaa.

7. Kevin Cecchini

Kevin Cecchini Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

Hello Ericbecky,

I have a mini code reader arriving next Tuesday.

I changed one faulty module with a used module, engaged the ignition and it was party time, "triangle of death was gone". For roughly 100 miles.
    Then warning light, i.e. -"triangle of death" crashed my party - again. I realize I have other modules with issues. Once I identify any further issues with the HV pack, via the use of the mini code reader, how would I go about ordering blocks from you?

Also, the one module I inserted, I was sure to place the heat sensor under it, as suggested by Matt from Texas Hybrid Batteries and affirmed by yourself.

8. smokeGTI

smokeGTI Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL
    I have replaced the real number 9 block, then grid charged overnight.
    Went for test drive, SOC recalculate in the middle of the way, and pending code P0A80 again.
    I deleted the code, and it's been working properly so far (4 days, 250 kms) no code.
    The only problem I have now is the SOC not going to full green, just 1 bar away.
    Hope to sort it out after next grid charge.
    Thanks to all~

strawbrad likes this.
  9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless you are going down a reasonably long hill, you will not get the 8th bar full. It sounds like it is running reasonably normal.

10. smokeGTI

smokeGTI Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I drive up / down hill daily, normally the SOC will getting fully green in the middle of down hill.
    But now it never make it. I think it needs another rebalance.

11. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hill is the wrong word. think "mountain".

12. smokeGTI

smokeGTI Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the correction. :)

13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is actually a good thing, a well behaving battery will (should) take longer to fill and the fact that this is what's happening for you means you have made a difference with your charging. Bear in mind also that the 6th and 7th bars represent a larger significant proportion of the overall charge being 22.5% of the 40% that is represented by the bars. This diagram represent the approx percentages each bar represents.:

Prius Complex SOC.jpg
    Yes, mountain I guess, although I deliberately did add "long" to preface the word hill. Even so, mountain vs hill is subjective depending what you're used to. We have a "hill" around here that at it's highest peak is some 940 metres (3084 ft) although the peak of the road over it is only 555 metres (1820 ft). Going on the downside of that (depending on how many bars I had when I reached the summit) I can get the 8th bar filling, although it has never completely maxed out the 8th bar to date.

kenoarto and smokeGTI like this.
  14. smokeGTI

smokeGTI Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info's dolj, no wonder my car stay at 6 bars most of the time.
    Now my car is like having a second life. :)

bisco likes this.
  15. Tedd Lodes

Tedd Lodes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm reconditioning our Prius battery now and just wondering about the charge rate. I've read mixed suggestions on different forums. Some say 5A, others 3A, 2A, etc. Another site about reconditioning NiMH batteries suggested to start out the process with a .6A current for a long time to slightly overcharge the module and let cells with less capacity get to a higher SOC. I would love to get some advice from the more seasoned reconditioners out here. Also, has anyone else had issues with the (chinese knock-off) Imax B6 chargers not properly detecting the delta voltage? Thanks for the help!

16. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In the normal operating range of the battery, current doesn't matter too much (within reason of course). You do not want to charge anywhere near 100% SOC at more than 0.5A or you will inflate and destroy the modules. Our products top charge at only 350mA specifically to prevent damaging the cells within each module.

17. Mecheng

Mecheng Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE

Matt,
    I checked internal resistance and most of my modules are between 1-2 M-Ohm with a couple at 3 and 4 M-Ohm. Would re-conditioning (cycling) reduce the internal resistance? Do you recommend swapping out the modules with the higher internal resistance or just matching them up as you suggested above? Finally, do you have a recommendation for a charge/discharge parameters? I'm using an RC charger/discharger from Turnigy (module 6-80W).
    Thanks,