1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Triangle of death", ABS, and check engine lights.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Blackwing, May 19, 2017.

1. Blackwing

Blackwing Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Did you happen to take offense due to a lack of recognition on my part? Everyone's work on this thread is greatly appreciated. JC happened to be the first to respond to the newest clue posted (warning indicators disappeared), that was the reasoning behind his direct recognition from me, to clear anything up there.

I'll start charging $120 to diagnose Toyotas like the stealership :) I can pretend to be a Toyota tech.

Water build-up only in the spare tire area. Will have to remove those 2 plugs and seal up those areas in the images with 100% clear silicone. Thank you very much.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, not in the slightest, it just came across as this was news to you.
    To me it was not a new clue and here we don't tend to repeat themselves, is all.

3. PeterPrius2007

PeterPrius2007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This is an old thread but are those pictures in the thread showing diagnostic info on the Prius screen? How do you display that?

4. Muhibul Tanim

Muhibul Tanim New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HI Everyone ,

I am facing same issue Triangle of death", ABS, and check engine lights went on when ever i drive in highway and it goes automatically after 1 day .During those lights on i cant use the cruise control. Is any one can help me why i am having this issue and what is the possible solution ?

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What codes do you have when you read the codes? If you haven't read the codes, that would be a good place to start.

There is no benefit in trying to make us guess what is wrong with your car.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, the pictures in post #1 show a "vehicle signal check" screen there, which is a little bit useful as a way of seeing your 12 volt battery voltage. (The reading there is typically a good fraction of a volt lower than a voltmeter right on the battery would show you. Some people call that "inaccurate", while I would guess it is an accurate reading of the voltage arriving at some internal measurement point inside the MFD. The difference is pretty consistent, if you've compared it once in your car to the direct meter on battery reading, and then if you can add and subtract in your head it's a convenient way to get a quick idea of the battery voltage.)

On that screen you can also check whether your parking brake and taillight switches are being properly received by the MFD, if you ever find yourself wondering that.

Post #15 shows other diag screens on the MFD, which you should not get too excited about. Those are only of use for diagnosing the infotainment system itself. They are not some hidden alternative to using a scan tool for trouble codes from the car.

If you do a search sort of like this, you can find the steps for pulling up those screens:

site:priuschat.com mfd diagnostics - Google Search