1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

trunk latch stuck - can't close trunk n 2020 prius prime

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MarkL, May 15, 2020.

1. MarkL

MarkL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    So last night I brought some long boards home from the lumber yard and had to manually latch the trunk latch on the hatchback to create a tie-off point for the hatch which couldn't be closed. It worked like a charm, but now I can't figure out how to reopen the trunk locking mechanism - I fiddle with it a little, but didn;t want to break something. I also tried all the obvious things (fob, pushbutton on the rear hatch). Any ideas how to unlatch it?

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The FOB will not unlatch the hatch or any other door. It just unlocks.

The pushbutton on the hatch handle locks the hatch. Use the big, flat "button" to the left of the button to unlatch the hatch. Should work whether it's latched around the ring that holds the hatch closed or just latched around empty air.

3. MarkL

MarkL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    One would think so, but neither button (fob or trunk lid) had any affect. I opened the plastic hatch based on other youtube videos, but the internals did not look the same. I fiddled aroudn in there, with nosucess, but then when I hit the fob (or maybe the trunk button) it unlatched itself - magic, I guess.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's no such thing as magic

Shaunius likes this.
  5. Shaunius

Shaunius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Did This happen again? I am in a pickle also can’t shut trunk

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably the most common cause of the hatch not latching all the way is a loose gasket. I just saw that yesterday again on a customer car, The weather gasket comes loose and keeps the hatch from going all the way into place.